Thread: Wood ducks still cranking 'em out!

Default Wood ducks still cranking 'em out!

Back in late April Beanhunter and his sons were kind enough to help me install some new wood duck boxes here on Murray. (Bean was borrowing Coot Nasty's gas post hole digger which makes pole installs a breeze with 2 people!)

It was almost May when we installed the new boxes.....folks that think April / May is too late to set up a new box are wrong, there is no such thing as too late for our Summer ducks. Every box I have was slammed full this Spring / Summer. I was out cleaning a few boxes yesterday evening and all 3 of my new boxes turned out baby ducks and I still have hens sitting in a couple of my older boxes.

Years ago I started working toward "putting back" and taking care of our local ducks by fixing up abandoned wood duck nesting boxes and installing new predator guards, roofs, etc. My goal has always been to try to put back more ducks than I harvest annually....even tho I rarely hunt here, I prefer to see the fruits of my labor. Given the high mortality rate of a baby duck, especially a wood duck, it's great to know that they at least made it to "jump day". When I was coming in from fishing Saturday a hen with 6 tiny ducklings swam across a cove near my boxes and knowing that one of those ducks just might be a youngsters "first duck" killed is a awesome thought!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

Awesome post!

Good stuff
    "I'm just a victim of a circumstance"

Well done!

good stuff.

“Muh butts been wiped.” TheBigGuy
    “Poor kids are just as bright and talented as white kids.” PedoPete, Esq.
    “Let’s go Brandon, I agree!” former Vice President Joe Biden
    “Shower time, Ashley.” NotAndyTaylor

That was time well spent that day, the kids got put to work (somewhat).
    We even got another box we weren't planning on.
    Quote Originally Posted by BOG View Post
    Tip:
    Although it is natural for you and seems to be out of your hands, try to suppress your natural inclination towards dumbassedness and do some research of your own.I wish you luck.
    Tekton Game Calls
    http://tektongamecalls.com

Paul,
    I would like to learn more about this stuff. Let me know the next time you do something like this or need help

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Paul,
    I would like to learn more about this stuff. Let me know the next time you do something like this or need help
    We will put you in the barge and let you man the auger lol. Plus you need to bring beer for us! Nothing to it though really, come join the party!
    Quote Originally Posted by BOG View Post
    Tip:
    Although it is natural for you and seems to be out of your hands, try to suppress your natural inclination towards dumbassedness and do some research of your own.I wish you luck.
    Tekton Game Calls
    http://tektongamecalls.com

Great job Cajun!
    Genesis 9;2