Thread: EU Loses Their GPS Satellites system for over Four Days. Big Deal?

Default EU Loses Their GPS Satellites system for over Four Days. Big Deal?

European satellites have been down four days. Problem? Big deal or not? Obviously they still have ours and the Russians and they probably have the Chinese is some of their products but completely relying on only one allies positioning system cannot feel great. Do we get outages here? Sure, but not for 100 hours at a time. Meanwhile Elon Musk has already sent up the first of his 12,000 satellites that will be able to do all sorts of stuff we don’t know about and some that we do, including providing WiFi/Internet to everyone, everywhere in the world. Move it along, nothing to see here. MG

EU's GPS satellites have been down for four days in mysterious outage
    EU's Galileo global navigation satellite system nears 100 hours of downtime.

Catalin Cimpanu
    By Catalin Cimpanu | July 14, 2019 -- 21:52 GMT (14:52 PDT) | Topic: EU

a satellite orbiting the earth with illuminated cities at night
    3D rendering of a satellite orbiting the earth with illuminated cities at night. Map From: http://planetpixelemporium.com/earth.html Software for rendering: https://www.blender.org

Getty Images/iStockphoto
    SEE ALSO

5G mobile networks: An insider’s guide (free PDF)
    Galileo, the EU's global navigation satellite system, has been down for four days, since July 11, following a mysterious outage. All Galileo satellites are still non-operational, at the time of writing.

According to a service status page, 24 of the 26 Galileo satellites are listed as "not usable," while the other two are listing a status of "testing," which also means they're not ready for real-world usage.

The European GNSS Agency (GSA), the organization in charge of Galileo, has not published any information in regards to the root of the outage, which began four days ago, on Thursday, July 11.

On that day, the GSA published an advisory on its website alerting companies and government agencies employing the Galileo system that satellite signals have degraded and they "may not be available nor meet the minimum performance levels."

The agency warned that the Galileo system "should be employed at users' own risk."

The GSA published a more dire warning on Saturday, July 13, when it said that Galileo was experiencing a full-service outage and that "signals are not to be used."

At the time of writing, the service is nearing 100 hours of downtime.

The system going down forced the Galileo's userbase (government agencies and private companies) to switch to alternatives.

The Galileo satellite system was launched in 2016 and was funded by the EU as an alternative to the US Air Force's Global Position System (GPS) and the Russian government's GLONASS.

It is provided under both free and commercial offerings and is widely used by governments agencies and private companies for navigation and search and rescue operations.

Because it's provided for free, it is also widely used by the private tech sector and by most of the world's academia.

The downtime also comes after widespread GPS outages were reported across Israel, Iran, Iraq, and Syria at the end of June. Israeli media blamed the downtime on Russian interference, rather than a technical problem.
    Dum Spiro Spero

In early April there was a correction done on the US GPS satellites. If your GPS device hasn't done the correction and you haven't updated your units, you are off by approximately 120 yards. I would contact the company for a fix if you haven't.

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    In early April there was a correction done on the US GPS satellites. If your GPS device hasn't done the correction and you haven't updated your units, you are off by approximately 120 yards. I would contact the company for a fix if you haven't.
    That is quite a error. Most new units use GPS, Galileo, and GLONASS then use error correction to determine and eliminate drift fixes. Some others even add BeiDou from China to the GNSS chain. The hope is that there will be enough that agree to get a good fix. MG
    Dum Spiro Spero

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

If our gps system was down when I was fishing I would be ticked

I bet someone loaded a bad timing signal, and C2'd to one or more of the birds, and the bad data populated as "ground truth" which the threw the constellation into a spiral it couldn't reverse. Surprised there anomaly response team has taken over 100 hours to get it back to operations.

Quote Originally Posted by Jethro92 View Post
    I bet someone loaded a bad timing signal, and C2'd to one or more of the birds, and the bad data populated as "ground truth" which the threw the constellation into a spiral it couldn't reverse. Surprised there anomaly response team has taken over 100 hours to get it back to operations.
    Exactly what I was thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Exactly what I was thinking.
    Yeah I didn't want to be the one to say it either....