Thread: Inverter Generator?

Default Inverter Generator?

Which one? Mine has finally crapped out on me after 10 years. Looking for something in the 3500 watt range. Considering Honda, Generac, yamaha, and harbor freight/predator. Everything that I am finding says the Harbor freight/Predator is the best value for the money, but I am skeptical of most harbor freight stuff.
    "If its better than cold beer and hot pussy it'll probably kill us all" ~ Rebel Son

honda, buy once cry once
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

I ain't ever had a problem with harbor freight. I got a Predator motor on my tiller for the last 7 years with no problems
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

My kids bought me a 2000 watt Harbor Freight invertor genny and it's been great. I wouldn't be scared of them. We run a Champion dual fuel genny at camp and it's been a good one too.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

I've got 3. A 4500 Yamaha (4000 running), a 3500 Predator from Harbor Freight (3000 running), and a new Westinghouse 4500iGen (3800 running). I run 3 seasonal businesses on them. The Yamaha was around $2800, the Predator $659, and the Westinghouse was $949. I've zero issues from any of them. I put NGK plugs in the predator and Westinghouse units and tossed the cheap Chinese plugs that were in them. All three were running approximately the same load but the predator ran under the highest percentage of load due to the lower running wattage. The biggest issue with the Yamaha is that it is very heavy. The predator and the Westinghouse can be handled by yourself. I also only run ethanol free gas in them. I'd buy the predator again in a heartbeat due to the price.

I have a 150 hours on the 3500 predator. Most of those running a 30 amp camper. The only issues I had was a clogged spark arrest. Other than that it has been great.

Smaller than you're looking for but a decent deal.
    https://www.amazon.com/Westinghouse-...IKX0DER&sr=1-3

I studied all these details back when I was buying our generator and, if I recall correctly, there are two main differences that may or may not make a difference to you.

1. The genset on the lower cost models are usually rated for about a 300 hour lifespan, whereas the better models (such as Honda) are rated for something like 1000 hours;

2. The lower cost/quality gensets do not provide a ‘smoothed’ power signal required to safely operate electronics, such as computers (at least not without being plugged into a power conditioner).

Take it for what it’s worth.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Amazon has a Westinghouse 2200 for sale on Prime Day for like $334. Don't know anything about them. Honda man here...

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Amazon has a Westinghouse 2200 for sale on Prime Day for like $334. Don't know anything about them. Honda man here...
    see my link above.

That's the one I saw...

My Harbor Freight one is only a year old, but runs like a top and starts on 1st or 2nd pull.

Sent from my S9+ using Tapatalk

They have a 4200 watt (3500 continuous) version of the Westinghouse for $534 with good reviews.

Y'all need to go be poor somewhere else.

Honda or GTFO*

Do the Chinese models have fuel pumps on them? I have mine rigged to run off of a boat gas tank.

(*if my twin 2000's ever crap out, I'll come be poor too)
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

Been running Generac at the hunt cabin for four years since the second Honda went out (20 years on both split duty). No complaints and running nat gas straight from the well is rough on em.

I know some Firman users that are happy with what they bought. Real quiet machines.
    We gave you Corn,you gave us clap,bad trade.