Thread: 99 Mercury 25 2 stroke opinions

Default 99 Mercury 25 2 stroke opinions

Ok so a search didn’t turn up any info so I will ask. I’m looking at re powering and have an option on a mercury. I have never owned one but have a buddy with on older one who says good things. Any opinions would help, as I’ve only ever owned Yamaha.

I had a mercury on my old SeaArk, and currently have a Mercury 9.9 for my 14’ Jon boat. Ive never had any issues with either and am pleased with them. That being said, I never have compared them side-by-side to anything else
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

I have a 98 25 2 stroke on one of my duck boats and it has had a hard life. Seen everything from salt water to bouncing off of stumps in Sparkleberry and I can't seem to kill it. Can't say I've had any more problems out of it than I have my Yamahas and Evinrudes. I would check the compression prior to purchasing just to be safe. They are solid motors.

Nothing wrong with either mercury or Yamaha motors. I would check compression if you buy later model 2 stroke mercury. They have nikasil plated cylinders, not steel sleeve so they are more prone to scoring if ran hot. Very strong motors regardless

Merc 25 is a fine motor. Ran one for years on a 14' Alumacraft and couldn't kill it despite my best efforts.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Buy it, run it, end thread.

Excellent motor. Wish I hadn’t sold the one that came on my war eagle.
    Sea Ark 1542 w/ Yamaha 40
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer
    War Eagle 15 w/ 30 Hammer

--------------------------------------------------

"Sometimes you gotta grab the bull by the horns and the women by the tits and take charge in your life" - General Patton

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over."
    - Rhett Butler

Id love to buy a brand new one today. First new outboard I ever bought and should have never sold it. They are the staple in sparkleberry and if they can stand up to that place they are bulletproof
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Had mine since '02. Been in both salt and freshwater, no issues other than a little corrosion on one of the bolts. I tried to take it out and replace, but sheared the head off. Need to get it re-tapped, but I've been running it for 4 years now with it sheared off and some stick steel covering the hole and shes running as strong now as she was in '02. A few on here will back me up when I say I have run this through river mud, sand, pluff mud, etc. with no remorse. Original water pump replaced in 2016. 45 minute job. Original carb rebuilt in 2012. Have not had to do anything else to the motor. The best thing about these motors is that if you have a little bit of handiness about you, you can do the work yourself.

I will say I mix my gas a little more rich than most. Replace spark plugs every season to prevent misfiring because of this. Not saying it helps or hurts anything, but looking at the amount of maintenance that has had to be done on it, I'd say it isn't hurting for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Phone Man View Post
    ...should have never sold it.
    Boy if I had a dollar for every time you've said that...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    Boy if I had a dollar for every time you've said that...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    money talks. Somebody wanted it more than me at the time.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

you’ve said you have always had yamahas.
    Tell us the reasons you’re looking to trade up/down....

(might even convince yourself of what your next move should be)

“Muh butts been wiped.” TheBigGuy
    “Poor kids are just as bright and talented as white kids.” PedoPete, Esq.
    “Let’s go Brandon, I agree!” former Vice President Joe Biden
    “Shower time, Ashley.” NotAndyTaylor

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleSprig View Post
    you’ve said you have always had yamahas.
    Tell us the reasons you’re looking to trade up/down....

(might even convince yourself of what your next move should be)
    I am currently running a Go Devil 23 surface drive, and I don’t really need a SD motor anymore. Only other outboards I have experience with are a Yamaha 25 and 40. The motor I’m asking about has been offered as a trade with cash for my SD.