Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: i26 road of death

Quote Originally Posted by Gone South View Post
    To add to billyjacks point, I’ve seen emergency vehicles (lights flashing) stuck in the left hand lane behind a string of cars that can’t move over and get out of the way.
    People treat it like a second slow lane. It isn’t. If you’re not booking it past everyone in the right lane you need to speed up and/or get the hell over to the right ASAP. With the rise in population the lowest common denominator can cause a 10 mile train of angry folks who just want to get to their destination.

And they tend to be belligerent little basterds. They do it on purpose.

Speeding isn't the problem, It's mixed speed traffic. It's the idiots that merge onto the interstate going 40 mph. The guy going 80 isn't nearly as dangerous as the left lane clot that's making everyone else take chances to get out of the traffic knot. If people would drive with the mantra "Drive as not to impede the flow of traffic", our roads would be more efficient and might not need widening.

I had to go to Italy for work and was going to have to drive over there. I was pretty apprehensive. We've all heard how crazy they drive. After getting used to it, I found that Italian drivers are much better drivers than what we have here. They aren't competitive. They get out of the way of faster drivers. Speed limits are just a suggestion but it's not a problem if you get out of the way of faster traffic. I come back here and have to deal with numbskulls who get into a race with my cruise control. I pass them because they are drifting with no apparent destination and within a mile, they have to catch up and pass me, only to slow down once in front of me. If you put on a blinker, they close up the gap so you can't get in front of them. You are forced to drive like a Nascar driver and shove your way into the lane so you can make your exit.

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

Until popo starts ticketing left lane drivers the issues will continue

Quote Originally Posted by tprice View Post
    Distracted driving
    Yup. Nothing SCDOT does or will do can fix this. It's not just interstates. It's every road.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    I think left lane drivers cause a lot of it. They clog the road and make the rest of us drive aggressively to finally get around them. My solution would be to roughen the surface of the left lane. That would make it less desirable to stay in and passively coerce people into the right lanes.
    Since those left lane cruisers are dumb enough to do just that, you think they'd be logical enough to get out of it if it was made rougher?

I vote no.

Like people that don't tip... They just suck at life.

And what Jess said.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by willyworm; 07-14-2019 at 10:52 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Traffic was affected for miles in three different places when I was driving back from Greenville on Friday. I knew from the shape of the vehicle and later confirmed that there was a fatality in one of them, a van rear ended a tractor trailer.

What's the deal with kids riding in the left lane intentionally slowing down cars in the left lane, then riding with the traffic in the right lane to keep anyone from passing? This happened to me in between Camden and Darlington back in April.

At first, I figured they were just inexperienced or high, then after a few minutes, I realized they were just being foolish.I finally had to pass them in the right lane at about 90. They insisted on trying to bully me in my work truck, a long bed Ram 2500 diesel 4x4. Finally I was able to pin them behind me and against the right lane traffic.

It's a wonder they didn't get shot or ran of the road. Believe me, both crossed my mind.

I don't understand this behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by Kioti View Post
    Traffic was affected for miles in three different places when I was driving back from Greenville on Friday. I knew from the shape of the vehicle and later confirmed that there was a fatality in one of them, a van rear ended a tractor trailer.
    I was westbound on 26 and stuck in that traffic for over an hour.

20190712_151125.jpg

20190712_151938.jpg

I met some friends in Waynesville for the weekend, they got stuck in the crossover accident today on their way home.

I hate travelling I-26.

I can’t figure out why traffic is always so bad on 26 westbound out of Columbia on Fridays lately. During football season I get it, but why would a shit ton of folks be pouring toward Greenville/Spartanburg for a weekend in mid-summer?

I travel throughout the state for work. I take non-interstate secondary roads and backroads 99% of the time. I don’t care if it takes me twice as long to get there. I plan accordingly and enjoy my drive. I lived in Atlanta for 10 years and put up with the rat race on the roads. I saw some really bad accidents over the years. It taught me there ain’t a damn thing worth driving recklessly and getting in a hurry over that would cause me not to make it back home to my family at night.

I agree that the left lane drivers cause the majority of the problems. The state of Georgia must agree because they passed a law punishing slow left lane drivers while I lived there.

Quote Originally Posted by b35w View Post
    Our whole interstate system is a disaster. It is unsafe and miserable to drive on. It is baffling to me that the situation cannot or is not being fixed properly. Is it lack of funding or miss management of funding?
    100% mismanagement of fund
    80-20 Genaration

Quote Originally Posted by billyjack View Post
    I can’t figure out why traffic is always so bad on 26 westbound out of Columbia on Fridays lately. During football season I get it, but why would a shit ton of folks be pouring toward Greenville/Spartanburg for a weekend in mid-summer?
    They are going to the FUKIN Mountains. I will just suffer in the hole till school starts.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    Since those left lane cruisers are dumb enough to do just that, you think they'd be logical enough to get out of it if it was made rougher?
    Even single cell plankton will move toward comfort. It doesn't take logic, it takes pain. A rough left lane, maybe even with occasional rumble strips would keep most folks in the smoother right lane.

Never thought of the mountains as a Summer vacation destination. But I can see the potential I guess.

I travel Mississippi to Maine on a weekly basis. I can say without a doubt SC has the worst roads...interstate and back roads I ever drive on. There are many dirt roads I’ve traveled that are better than the paved roads in SC. The million man yankee immigration and summer migration certainly doesn’t help with the already congested and under developed interstate system. The influx of people moving to SC really is a big problem and is impeding on our quality and way of life.
    Last edited by reeltight; 07-15-2019 at 06:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kioti View Post
    That was the son of I girl I went to high school with. He was on the Batesburg-Leeseville golf team. Not sure how or why it happened.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I can eat a bowl of alphabet soup and shit out a thought process better than the vast majority of you clemmings.

Here is SCDOT's plan....yeah don't hold your breath.

For the first time in 30 years, the South Carolina Department of Transportation has been provided with an increased and sustainable revenue stream. The Roads Bill passed by the South Carolina General Assembly went into effect on July 1, 2017, giving the agency the opportunity to make gradual, but real and significant strides toward bringing the highway system back from three decades of neglect.

The navigation buttons on this page will show a comprehensive list of projects that we expect to build over the next decade:

Highway Safety - We plan to address the "worst-of-the worst" roads in terms of highway by improving 100 miles per year with a customized plan to make these roads safer in ten-mile segments.
    Structurally Deficient Bridges - Approximately half of SCDOT’s 750 structurally deficient bridges will be replaced.
    Road Resurfacing - SCDOT intends to use 50% of the new revenue to begin resurfacing the state's highways. 80% of the state's 42,000 miles need resurfacing or rebuilding. The 10-year goal is to bring half of those roads up to a "good" rating.
    Interstate Widening - SCDOT plans to begin 11 or 12 interstate widening projects.
    "run and gun guide service"

Quote Originally Posted by b-stick View Post
    18 wheeler drag racing.
    This one kills me. Truck in the left lane is faster until it comes time to pull a hill and then you have the truck in the right lane with lower gears pull all the way back even with the other truck and this continues for about 3 miles until driver in the left lane gets a good hill to get enough speed up.
    Last edited by SCswampCAT; 07-15-2019 at 07:39 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    Man is merely a two legged locust, devouring wild lands, developing and prostituting wildlife and fisheries under the guise of "use of the resource" for tremendous profit and moving on. Will it ever end?

Quote Originally Posted by billyjack View Post
    Never thought of the mountains as a Summer vacation destination. But I can see the potential I guess.
    Half of Florida is in the mountains every summer.