Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need new fish finder

Default Need new fish finder

School me on this technology. The one that came with the boat isn’t working right so I’m going to look into a new one.

I am looking an inexpensive model ($100-$150?), something to obviously find fish and gps to mark spots duck hunting. I’ll get a Navitronics card so I’ll need an sd slot. I’d also like a split screen so I can see my tracking, while having the fish finder showing. These all might be standard features, but it’s all what I need.

My main question is, is the chirp that important ? I’ve seen a few images online of it but never in real life.Is there anything else I need to look for , brand to go with, or with upgrading for? Who’s got the better screen, ease of use, etc.

The two I was looking at was the Lowrance hook2 , or the Garmin Striker 4
    Last edited by duckz; 07-12-2019 at 10:53 AM.

You gonna need a bigger budget to get what you say you want. Like $400-$600.
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

hmm.. so lets go about it this way, if you had $150, what would you get ?

Find an old Garman combo unit that’s 4-6 years old. You can get one in your budget with everything you are looking for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    now Hogan can fuck off on here all day and call it work, thanks!

i'll try ebay. I just hate buying electronics without seeing/ testing it first. but i'll see whats out there. good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by mhogancu View Post
    Find an old Garman combo unit that’s 4-6 years old. You can get one in your budget with everything you are looking for.

that's funny. I remember using this type of flasher combo while ice fishing up in the northern parts of the world.

I have an old lowrance hds5x you are welcome to have if that works. I don’t have the transducer or wires for it though
    Last edited by Jay; 07-13-2019 at 12:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    I have an old lowrance hds5x you are welcome to have if that works. I don’t have the transducer or wires for it though
    Take this and run. Great little unit. I’m upgrading from my 10in Garmin to an HDS12 if I don’t go with simrad
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    now Hogan can fuck off on here all day and call it work, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    If your offering I would be very appreciative! I have family in Greenville that can meet, or I’ll pay shipping to MB. Message me where you are and I’ll see if one of them can meet up with you.

I’ll be in debordieu for the next week. I’ll bring it with me.

I have been contemplating taking my current fish finder and attaching it up front to the trolling motor. The gps doesn’t work, speed isn’t accurate, but it does show depth and fish (I think).
    If I were to move the transducer and attach it to the bottom of the trolling motor, could I zip tie the transducer straight to the bottom of the motor? It doesn’t have a mount so I would have to zip tie around the actual transducer. It’s the skinny cylindrical styles. Will the ties effect it or can the sonar go through the zip tie fine?
    Last edited by duckz; 07-14-2019 at 09:07 AM.

The Lowrance Hook 2 is pretty sporty for a budget fisherman.

Dig deep and find another $50...

https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Echoma...gateway&sr=8-1

If you fish east of the ICWW, find another $80...don't read the review, the guy's an idiot...

https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-010-01...gateway&sr=8-1
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Thanks Runberhead. I noticed on the description that both of these had some decent maps already. I had originally said that I wanted to get a Navionics card no matter what unit, but these maps seem decent. I’ll look into both more but appreciate that. I don’t care about the maps being amazing, but I do need to know what I’m running up on rather looking at a solid blue river.

Quote Originally Posted by duckz View Post
    Thanks Runberhead. I noticed on the description that both of these had some decent maps already. I had originally said that I wanted to get a Navionics card no matter what unit, but these maps seem decent. I’ll look into both more but appreciate that. I don’t care about the maps being amazing, but I do need to know what I’m running up on rather looking at a solid blue river.
    I have been purposefully hunting new water over the past several years. On many occasions the first time I run a body of water is before daylight. I don't get crazy and never completely trust maps but the combination of the depth finder, maps and good LED lights I can manage new water even in the dark. I have both the 43 and 44 so I use the 43 on freshwater and the 44 along the coast. I would hate to attempt new water, even in the daylight, without decent maps.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberhead* View Post
    I have been purposefully hunting new water over the past several years. On many occasions the first time I run a body of water is before daylight. I don't get crazy and never completely trust maps but the combination of the depth finder, maps and good LED lights I can manage new water even in the dark. I have both the 43 and 44 so I use the 43 on freshwater and the 44 along the coast. I would hate to attempt new water, even in the daylight, without decent maps.
    Exactly. I was on the ICW last week and it’s all fun and games but there’s a rock ledge here, sandbar there, and all that my maps tell me is that I’m on a blue river! Tides change but I need a little more help than a solid blue line. My gps doesn’t work well anyway so I need a new unit to begin with.

Did you download any maps or are you using the stock maps? I was budgeting $150 for a maps card on top of the price of a new unit, but if the maps are decent stock, those units are in a good budget for me.

You say you use unit unit for freshwater, and another for the coast. Are these on different boats or are you changing out the actual unit? I basically want to know if the 44 has good enough maps for boat the rivers, icw and the coastal inlets. The description just a said “Coastal US” so it sounds like it doesn’t have any freshwater
    Last edited by duckz; 07-17-2019 at 07:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by duckz View Post
    Exactly. I was on the ICW last week and it’s all fun and games but there’s a rock ledge here, sandbar there, and all that my maps tell me is that I’m on a blue river! Tides change but I need a little more help than a solid blue line. My gps doesn’t work well anyway so I need a new unit to begin with.

Did you download any maps or are you using the stock maps? I was budgeting $150 for a maps card on top of the price of a new unit, but if the maps are decent stock, those units are in a good budget for me.

You say you use unit unit for freshwater, and another for the coast. Are these on different boats or are you changing out the actual unit? I basically want to know if the 44 has good enough maps for boat the rivers, icw and the coastal inlets. The description just a said “Coastal US” so it sounds like it doesn’t have any freshwater
    The 43cv and the 44cv are identical other than the maps that are pre-loaded. The 44 basically has tidal areas and the 43 has most large freshwater lakes.

I have two boats so I put one mounting station and transducer on the fishing boat and one mounting station and transducer on the duck boat. This gives me the option of using the unit that matches the water I'm on in whatever boat I'm using.

Here's one of the units mounted in the duck boat...

and the mounting station in the fishing boat (empty mount on the right)...

Looks sharp!
    Does the 43 have detailed maps of the icw and waccamaw by chance? Not just shoreline maps. I went to Garmin.com and looks like LakeVü only has Moultrie, Marion, and other big lakes. No rivers

I’m just wondering if I’m better of buying the $100 gps and then the $100 detailed map card instead.
    Last edited by duckz; 07-18-2019 at 04:37 PM.

Don’t know of a detailed map card of the waccamaw. What do need to see anyway ?