Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High Tide rebuild

Default High Tide rebuild

Finally have a little time to work on this project. Got it out and cleaned up a little. I'm pretty excited about it. I was pretty set on ditching the CC and going with a tiller handle set up. After putting some decoys in it and looking at it I might have changed my mind. I'm not sure if I will ever load it down like the last picture, I'll have to see how it floats. I have a DT65 Suzuki that I might put on it if I keep it CC.

Tomorrow is demo day.

20190711_171227.jpg

20190711_172217.jpg
    Last edited by JBK; 07-11-2019 at 04:41 PM.
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

Will be fun to watch the progress.

If you do decide to keep a console set up, see if you can find a smaller console and then offset it to the side.
    This will allow you to sit 2 people in the back instead of one in the middle then a severely cramped person on either side. Additionally it will help walking around in the boat since you do not have gunnels to walk on.

Let me know if you have any questions, I'm maybe half way through mine now. I went for more of a resto-mod though and scrapped the cap and am building from scratch.

Quote Originally Posted by BET View Post
    Let me know if you have any questions, I'm maybe half way through mine now. I went for more of a resto-mod though and scrapped the cap and am building from scratch.
    Man this will be 100% learning experience regarding fiberglass work. Everything else I'll be fine. What materials are you using?

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

I just went with marine ply, didn't want to spend the money on any of the nicer cores. Mostly 1708 or 1208 for glass and west system epoxy. West system is probably one of the more expensive out there but its pretty fool proof with the pumps and I figured if epoxy is slightly stronger and more flexible that would help fix some of my beginner errors as well. Probably made up for the savings on core material by going with epoxy over poly or vinyl but oh well. I have used uscomposites.com for all the glass, by far the cheapest I have found.

:Following:
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

BET, how much glass and epoxy do you think I'll need?

From the looks of it you'll be doing transom, stringers, and deck at the very least. It all depends what core material you are using. If you use a structural core you use a lot less glass and epoxy, non structural core equals more glass and epoxy.

Ok. I'm lost. What do you mean by structural core?

You can either use a structural core material such as plywood and the glass around it is pretty much just to seal it. Or you can use a non structural core (low density foam) as a form to glass around and use much more glass (the glass is the structural component here)

you should probably just go back in with what is there (plywood), thats what I used

Screws don’t like to bite in foam core.

BET- how did the epoxy soak into the mat on the 1708 and did it blend fine into the poly resin used originally when you put the floor back in?

I have some plans to do a big rebuild soon and keep going back and forth between epoxy and poly.

Glad you got the time to tackle the project! Finished it'll be a nice set up.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

It took a bit of work to get the 1708 saturated with epoxy, best method I found was to wet out the mat first then put into desired area and work on the biax side. Seems to bond great to the poly.

I also didn't screw the floor down, I didn't want any holes in my floor. I bonded with thickened epoxy and tabbed all the way around
    Last edited by BET; 07-12-2019 at 09:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BET View Post
    It took a bit of work to get the 1708 saturated with epoxy, best method I found was to wet out the mat first then put into desired area and work on the biax side. Seems to bond great to the poly.

I also didn't screw the floor down, I didn't want any holes in my floor. I bonded with thickened epoxy and tabbed all the way around
    Typically the expoxy struggle to saturate/dissolve the bonding agent in the mat but I’m relieved to see it bonded well to tab in against the poly.

From my understanding the binding agent is only used in mat. Since 1708 is stitched it does not require a binder, so no issue with compatibility or breaking down the binder.

I'll be using 3/4 marine grade plywood for sure

Post pics along the way!

20190713_151428.jpg

Almost done