Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Richland County votes to ban plastic shopping bags

Quote Originally Posted by everlast View Post
    Not much argument to it. A reasonable person would see an issue with creating something, or having something created, to use it one time and discard it, something that will never go away, and will end up in oceans, rivers, forests, etc.
    Nobody is arguing that. The notion that we could get anyone else to change their ways by unilaterally hobbling ourselves is at best naive. It is imagined that since we are leaders, others would follow, but they would rather sit and wait for our dominance to fade under the weight of our own anti-competitive polices against ourselves.

They should ban those damn mylar balloons, I see them everywhere in the woods. Anyone turning one loose should be charged with littering, they are going to come down somewhere

I wonder how many on this site have asked for paper bags over the years? Essentially every grocery store I have visited has asked if I would like paper or plastic bags at checkout. We've seemingly had a choice for decades.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    Nobody is arguing that. The notion that we could get anyone else to change their ways by unilaterally hobbling ourselves is at best naive. It is imagined that since we are leaders, others would follow, but they would rather sit and wait for our dominance to fade under the weight of our own anti-competitive polices against ourselves.
    Well-said and good point. But I'm confident that businesses would find a way to stay profitable and competitive. Right now, its the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality, environmental impact be damned. Making it uncomfortable to continue in that mindset would spark creativity and innovation. Evolve or die.
    Last edited by everlast; 07-12-2019 at 07:50 AM.
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    -Samuel Adams

We do what’s right like Everlast said then Tarrif the hell out of the ones that don’t follow suit. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Baggy View Post
    We do what’s right like Everlast said then Tarrif the hell out of the ones that don’t follow suit. Lol.
    You do realize that when we put tariffs on stuff, it's us that pay them.