Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Richland County votes to ban plastic shopping bags

I’m not a “dem or snowflake”, nor does it take one to realize that single serve plastic anything is a stupid ass idea.

I’m not real fond of paper straws either, but also realize I’m capable (and children are too Jacob) of getting my drink safely in my mouth without a straw at all.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post

YOU CANNOT LEGISLATE PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY! STOP TRYING TO TELL ME HOW TO LIVE MY LIFE!
    Not so loud.

These threads are great to identify the "I don't support big government unless I happen to agree with it" crowd.

And I'm pretty sure people that litter aren't going to stop littering just because we get rid of plastic bags.

Fuk plastic bags.....
    Fuk plastic packaging.... This must change as our garbage is a problem!
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Y'all should like this.

If these shitbirds keep going around licking stuff with their diseased ridden selves, I am going to be for MORE plastic packaging.

While they are at it they should outlaw them helium filled balloons I find every fucking where!
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    I’m not a “dem or snowflake”, nor does it take one to realize that single serve plastic anything is a stupid ass idea.

I’m not real fond of paper straws either, but also realize I’m capable (and children are too Jacob) of getting my drink safely in my mouth without a straw at all.
    I'm all for going to something that is biodegrable/ multiple uses. Take one trip offshore trolling and you'll be amazed at how much trash and shit is floating out there.

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    If these shitbirds keep going around licking stuff with their diseased ridden selves, I am going to be for MORE plastic packaging.
    Unfortunately..... Yep
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

A little temik could put an end to that silliness with the quickness...

Every bit of plastic that has ever been made is still in existence unless it has been burned or recycled into more plastic. Let that sink in. Plastics in the future will eventually have a self life before they biodegrade. Single use plastics are a problem but the question is what do we do?
    Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post
    Monsters... Be damned if I'd ever be taken alive by the likes of faggot musslims.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I am an equal opportunity hater.

It's been up on our city council.

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Quote Originally Posted by huntinghagen#12 View Post
    I'm fine without plastic bags ... but I really hope plastic straws aren't banned. Paper straws and my kids don't work, they last about 2 minutes.
    Funny you should mention that. An eco-nut got DRTed by her steel straw.

Metal drinking straw fatally impales woman through her eye after fall
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

At a chic fil a right now with my kids and have a table next to who all brought their own straws.....

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Quote Originally Posted by willk View Post
    Every bit of plastic that has ever been made is still in existence unless it has been burned or recycled into more plastic. Let that sink in. Plastics in the future will eventually have a self life before they biodegrade. Single use plastics are a problem but the question is what do we do?
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

Quote Originally Posted by ReelHard View Post
    I'm all for going to something that is biodegrable/ multiple uses. Take one trip offshore trolling and you'll be amazed at how much trash and shit is floating out there.
    Bingo. Not to mention inland creeks and rivers.
    "Pain, or damage don't end the world — or despair, or fu**in' beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, ......and give some back." -Al Swearingen

The very next item on the agenda of the July 9 meeting:

"I move that Richland County Council secure the services of a public relations firm to,
    among other things, assist Council as a whole and its individual members in informing
    the media and general public of the body’s collective work and activities and community
    engagements of individual members. A public relations contractor will complement the
    work of the Clerk’s Office, as well as the Public Information Office, which promotes
    activities of the entire County organization; while a public relations firm will focus solely
    on Council and its members. The assistance of a contractor will ensure Council abides by
    state law in its interactions with staff, as the nature of public relations assistance can
    involve individual requests or directives to staff, which falls outside the authority of
    individual members. [DICKERSON]"

Is this not effectively providing campaign resources to the council members? I see this as "we need to convince the public that we are important and effective, and therefore worthy of re-election. Lets hire a PR firm to do it for us."
    Last edited by Beauregard; 07-11-2019 at 12:56 PM.

Selections from the draft text of the measure:

"1) On and after [Month date, year], a store may sell or distribute a reusable bag to a
    customer at the point of sale only if the reusable bag is made by a producer certified
    pursuant to this section to meet all of the following requirements:
    i. Has a stitched handle and is designed for at least 125 uses, as provided in this
    section.
    ii. Has a volume capacity of at least 15 liters.
    iii. Is machine washable or made from a material capable of being washed so
    as to be cleaned and disinfected at least 100 times."

"On and after [Month date, year], a store shall not sell or distribute a recycled paper
    bag at the point of sale except as provided in this subdivision.

i. A store may make available for purchase a recycled paper bag. On and after
    [Month date, year], the store shall not sell a recycled paper bag for less than ten
    cents ($0.10) in order to ensure that the cost of providing a recycled paper bag
    is not subsidized by a consumer who does not require that bag."

"Notwithstanding any other law, on and after [Month date, year], a store that makes
    reusable bags or recycled paper bags available for purchase at the point of sale shall
    provide a reusable bag or a recycled paper bag at no cost at the point of sale to a
    customer receiving supplemental food assistance, WIC and other public assistance
    programs available in South Carolina."

Y'all quit hating on plastics. Some of us make our living down this avenue.

Disclaimer 1: I do not deal in the grocery bag business

Disclaimer 2: You want less expensive items at the grocery store (i.e. longer shelf life / less turnover for store), you want to keep some version of plastics viable.
    I'm going to heaven for the weather and hell for the company.

Be dangerous, unpredictable, and make a whole lot of noise.

No new laws
    No new fees
    No new taxes

The trashiest river I’ve ever been too is at Wilson’s landing. I use plastic grocery bags for everything. Lunch box, suitcase, parachute for toy army men... the list is endless.
    867-5309