Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Richland County votes to ban plastic shopping bags

The problem is not plastic. It’s people. No new law will regulate stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by Calibogue View Post
    At a chic fil a right now with my kids and have a table next to who all brought their own straws.....
    They get a Chic Fila in Hampton?!?!

Wait, own straws, no way you are near Hampton County!!!
    you aint did a dawg gon thang until ya STAND UP IN IT!- Theodis Ealey

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    The older I get, the more anal retentive I get.

that does sound a bit "beaufort-ish" doesnt it?
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

I just send my wife to the grocery store
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Quote Originally Posted by Beauregard View Post
    The very next item on the agenda of the July 9 meeting:

"I move that Richland County Council secure the services of a public relations firm to,
    among other things, assist Council as a whole and its individual members in informing
    the media and general public of the body’s collective work and activities and community
    engagements of individual members. A public relations contractor will complement the
    work of the Clerk’s Office, as well as the Public Information Office, which promotes
    activities of the entire County organization; while a public relations firm will focus solely
    on Council and its members. The assistance of a contractor will ensure Council abides by
    state law in its interactions with staff, as the nature of public relations assistance can
    involve individual requests or directives to staff, which falls outside the authority of
    individual members. [DICKERSON]"

Is this not effectively providing campaign resources to the council members? I see this as "we need to convince the public that we are important and effective, and therefore worthy of re-election. Lets hire a PR firm to do it for us."
    I read it more of lets hire someone to talk to the people so we don't have to. But I see your point about campaign resources.

Either way the fact that politicians think they need a pr firm gets to the root of the problem. How many citizens of Richland county do you think contacted their council members about plastic bags? We don't need politicians sitting around trying to figure out what they need to fix and paying a pr firm to brag to us about what they did.

Quote Originally Posted by TheVisorGuy View Post
    I just send my wife to the grocery store
    You should save those packs the shingles come in and have her reuse those.

my 11 year old has figured this out....he knows paper straws suck and they will get rid of all plastic straws soon. He wants to buy the grocery store out of straws and wait for the ban, then sell them at a decent price.

Love that little entrepreneur spirit in him.

and he still loves the turtles too.

The young Man has potential
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Sell your Sonoco stock.

Quote Originally Posted by GMAC View Post
    Sell your Sonoco stock.
    Yeahhh, no...

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Have you seen what that looks like in most of the world? Hell even Australia's trash is "recycled" which is to say the Chinese pick it up, tote it to Malaysia, and dump it in what was forest. It takes a lot of ground to hold all of Australia's trash. Most other places across the globe they just dump it. Burn it once in a while. Maybe. Human nature will always win out. If it is cheaper to create new plastics without recycled plastics, guess what? If you want to waste your time separating your trash so that the City of Columbia can put it all back together for you in the same dump, be my guest if it makes your feelers feel better...
    You post unwittingly bolstered my argument. It sounds like the only solution to combat human nature is to regulate the creation and reckless consumption of those plastics because it will just end up in a landfill here, or India or Malaysia. Make it unprofitable to create single use plastics because people are generally short sighted, selfish, and lazy and shouldn't have the right to fuck the world up for the masses
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    -Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by everlast View Post
    You post unwittingly bolstered my argument. It sounds like the only solution to combat human nature is to regulate the creation and reckless consumption of those plastics because it will just end up in a landfill here, or India or Malaysia. Make it unprofitable to create single use plastics because people are generally short sighted, selfish, and lazy and shouldn't have the right to fuck the world up for the masses
    Yeah, go on and try to "regulate" the folks who live in China, Indonesia, Mexico, AnycountryinAfrica, Haiti, Cuba, Brazil, The Philippines, Italy, Syria, there is no end to this list, and see how far it gets you. I much prefer that waste wind up in landfills here than in the rivers and oceans, which is State Sponsored standard procedure across most of the world...

Not just the obvious countries either. Man will bend the rules to benefit himself.

Look into the Volkswagon diesel cheat device scandal. It wasn't an issue in Europe at all. Because all of the European countries accept certifications from other Euro countries. The Volkswagon is certified in Germany by the country that also happens to be the biggest owner of Volkswagon. They clearly know it's an issue and the car is producing much more pollution than it claims to be. But they all turn a blind eye because it would hurt them financially. Meanwhile they are quick to act outraged that we pulled out of the Paris climate agreement.

Yep. It"s like they live in a bubble and have never done business. Oh............

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Yeah, go on and try to "regulate" the folks who live in China, Indonesia, Mexico, AnycountryinAfrica, Haiti, Cuba, Brazil, The Philippines, Italy, Syria, there is no end to this list, and see how far it gets you. I much prefer that waste wind up in landfills here than in the rivers and oceans, which is State Sponsored standard procedure across most of the world...
    The US produces 30% of the world's waste so it would be a solid start to address that first, then worry about expanding our circle of influence to those countries you mentioned.
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    -Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by GMAC View Post
    Sell your Sonoco stock.
    They make um in Mexico. Trust me.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Habit View Post
    To combat these laws, the big retail chains have started using heavier plastic and calling them re-useable, and they definitely are re-useable. They did not go back to paper like everyone hoped.
    Only post I’ve read, I agree. Was in Cali during Easter and grocery shopped at Ralph’s. It’s a chain store out west similar to Publix. They had the thick plastic bags and charged 10 cent per bag. Most people just cram them full, since they won’t break because of their thickness.
    Go Tigers!!!

Quote Originally Posted by everlast View Post
    The US produces 30% of the world's waste so it would be a solid start to address that first, then worry about expanding our circle of influence to those countries you mentioned.
    Rainbows and sunshine is the only way you argue with someone like the above.

Not much argument to it. A reasonable person would see an issue with creating something, or having something created, to use it one time and discard it, something that will never go away, and will end up in oceans, rivers, forests, etc.
    Last edited by everlast; 07-12-2019 at 06:32 AM.
    -Samuel Adams