Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Richland County votes to ban plastic shopping bags

Default Richland County votes to ban plastic shopping bags

To combat these laws, the big retail chains have started using heavier plastic and calling them re-useable, and they definitely are re-useable. They did not go back to paper like everyone hoped.

It’s to my personal advantage for the use of brown paper bags in place of plastic. However, on principal, Im not for government picking and choosing what companies succeed through regulation. In my eyes this is the same as trying regulate the coal industry out of existence.

Much the same Bucky except no personal advantage.

Like BadHabit said they just switch to these heavier plastic bags that are marketed as reusable and biodegradable. I personally like the thicker bags, better for picking dog shit up in the yard.

Quote Originally Posted by bnicknad View Post
    Like BadHabit said they just switch to these heavier plastic bags that are marketed as reusable and biodegradable. I personally like the thicker bags, better for picking dog shit up in the yard.
    With a little time and effort my dog was easily trained to shit in the neighbor's yard.

I’m completely for a ban on plastic bags.

That is one area we can make a difference. We’ve become so wasteful and nonchalant about plastic, it’s insane.

They were an awful idea to begin with, get rid of em.

Hemp paper bags will do just fine.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Mt. Pleasant and Sullivans Island have already banned them and I'm not loving it. Paper bags are clumsier. It takes two or three trips to bring the groceries in the house instead of one. I had a carabiner that I could hook on a dozen plastic bags at once. We have been reusing and recycling the plastic bags for years. Now we throw away the bulkier paper bags. I think a better solution is to require plastic bags that will degrade and decompose.

Interesting story I heard on NPR the other day. The ban doesn't always result in the desired outcome

https://www.npr.org/sections/money/2...g-bans-garbage

I understand. But am ok with minor inconveniences like 2 trips to the car if it means I don’t have to see plastic bags in the rivers, marsh, and offshore.

We did just fine without em before, and the human race will survive without em.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

That is interesting.

Only thing worse than plastic bags are paper bags. I carry my own nylon or whatever that you could carry a bowling ball in and it won't rip, break, or tear. They have lasted 4 or 5 years so far. This isn't hard folks...

I thought I read an article a few weeks ago where someone invented a truly biodegradable plastic. The article said it would be worth trillions.

If they really wanted to make a difference, packaging is where its at. Think of how shit is packaged now a days if you order something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    I’m completely for a ban on plastic bags.

That is one area we can make a difference. We’ve become so wasteful and nonchalant about plastic, it’s insane.

They were an awful idea to begin with, get rid of em.

Hemp paper bags will do just fine.
    Preach. Imagine if every person was personally responsible for their waste. Imagine the storage space it would take per person for those that drink bottled water or sodas multiple times a day, then throw something away that WILL NEVER GO AWAY. Out of site, out of mind. People think its someone else's problem. Let people have to pay storage space for their waste for as long as it exists, and things would tighten up real quick, or people would actually recycle.
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    -Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by BET View Post
    Interesting story I heard on NPR the other day. The ban doesn't always result in the desired outcome

https://www.npr.org/sections/money/2...g-bans-garbage
    very interesting

i wonder if people actually THINK from time to time instead of just react to get votes.

YOU CANNOT LEGISLATE PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY! STOP TRYING TO TELL ME HOW TO LIVE MY LIFE!

SERENITY NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

I'm fine without plastic bags ... but I really hope plastic straws aren't banned. Paper straws and my kids don't work, they last about 2 minutes.

The dems and snowflakes will bitch regardless of what stores use. They complain about plastic bad for the enviroment. They go to paper bags then they will bitch about too many trees being used. They go to reuseable fabric material bags they will bitch about the cotton not being GMO, too many chemicals and they aren't biodegradable. The dems and snowflakes of today will NEVER be satisfied with anything.

Plastic straw/bag bans are useless laws politicians pass to curry favor with simple minded people.

Quote Originally Posted by everlast View Post
    Preach. Imagine if every person was personally responsible for their waste. Imagine the storage space it would take per person for those that drink bottled water or sodas multiple times a day, then throw something away that WILL NEVER GO AWAY. Out of site, out of mind. People think its someone else's problem. Let people have to pay storage space for their waste for as long as it exists, and things would tighten up real quick, or people would actually recycle.
    Have you seen what that looks like in most of the world? Hell even Australia's trash is "recycled" which is to say the Chinese pick it up, tote it to Malaysia, and dump it in what was forest. It takes a lot of ground to hold all of Australia's trash. Most other places across the globe they just dump it. Burn it once in a while. Maybe. Human nature will always win out. If it is cheaper to create new plastics without recycled plastics, guess what? If you want to waste your time separating your trash so that the City of Columbia can put it all back together for you in the same dump, be my guest if it makes your feelers feel better...