Thread: Boat trailer question

Default Boat trailer question

I'm thinking about putting slightly larger tires on my Jon boat trailer. The ones that I have on now are getting worn and think that replacing them with larger ones would only be better for road trips and rough roads. However as it sits now there is only so much clearance with the fender well. The two options I see are 1: replace the fender wells and raise the bunks to give it plenty of clearance. Or the second option would be to take the axle which is bolted on top of the leaf springs and bolt it to the bottom of the leaf springs. Obviously option two would be easier and it is just a 16' aluminum boat. My question is whether or not option 2 is safe and a some what standard thing to do?
    Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    I dont know how it was done. For all I know that weird bastard that determined it's gender licked it.

Flip the axle and add a leaf or two- load the boat with gear to see... doubt bigger tires will make a noticeable difference though.

Put longer shackles on it.

Flipping the axle or longer shackles are an option. Longer shackle will only net half of the longer shackle distance. Keep in mind that raising the height of boat from ground increases the distance trailer/truck has to be backed in. On a shallow ramp it may make a difference with truck going in water depending on how long the tongue is. Also you may have to get in water to get to trailer.

Moatsy sighting!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Take it to KRT, he’ll put a 6” lift on it and some Toyo 35”s.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Just up the rating of the tire and go radial. Probably got the cheapest shit they could put on it now.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I can eat a bowl of alphabet soup and shit out a thought process better than the vast majority of you clemmings.