Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boston Butt - Never had this happen before

Default Boston Butt - Never had this happen before

Smoked a butt on the egg last night. I've done a fair amount of these over the last two years but I had something happen last night that has me stumped.

8 lb butt
    BGE lump
    225 Temp

Set the temp on the egg around 9:00 pm and after making sure the temp was stable I put the butt on. Went to bed about 12:30 and temp was holding steady as usual. Woke up at 6:00 to let the dogs out and check on the meat and my temp is basically less than 100.. No vents were closed more than they should be and there was still plenty of charcoal and lump in the egg. Started the fire back up again to finish the butt and temp has held steady all day. No idea what happened or why.

This ever happen to any of you guys with BGE's?

Never had that happen on my BGE. Were you cooking indirect with plate setter?...if not maybe fat dripped and smoldered the coals out?

Neighbor came & uncovered your shit seeing what's up...

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Reb View Post
    Never had that happen on my BGE. Were you cooking indirect with plate setter?...if not maybe fat dripped and smoldered the coals out?
    Yep with plate setter and drip pan. No issues today at all on the finish either. Weird

Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Neighbor came & uncovered your shit seeing what's up...
    Could be right.

it rained last night in mauldin.

maybe the rain cooled the ceramic to the point that it cooled the coals. Cooking that low is fragile.
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

Only things I can think of are humidity/rain or you forgot to clean out the ash and check the fire grate for clogged holes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerbdog View Post
    Only things I can think of are humidity/rain or you forgot to clean out the ash and check the fire grate for clogged holes.
    I vacuumed out the ash but it's been a while since I completely emptied it so the holes could definitely have been clogged.

it was the wind....or lack thereof.

you got the temp set while there was a light breeze into the opening at the bottom. over night, the winds died down and so did your temps.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Really hard to say what caused it. As stated before trying to cook that low can cause some issues. That's why I tell people all the time to not get so concerned over temps especially in the mid 200's range. If the cooker wants to go to 250 and settle then let it. There really is no difference in cooking as far as the meat is concerned from 225 to 270. As long as it doesn't swing anymore than 50 degrees you will be fine and find that your cooker will run more stable. Most of the time when the temps move it's due to new pieces of lump igniting and starting to burn and the fire moving. Couple of things off the top of my head, you could have placed too many smaller pieces in on top which will restrict air flow from the bottom or maybe some of your lump got a little damp. It really is hard to say what caused it.
    Reality is only an illusion
    that occurs due to a lack of alcohol.

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity”. Sigmund Freud

Quote Originally Posted by badfaulkner View Post

......Some of you guys are fastidious and choosy to the point of near faggotry.

different charcoal?

Good stuff guys, I appreciate it. I think it was a combination of a couple of the things mentioned. I barely had the inflow on the bottom open and it was holding fine when I went to bed, there was a breeze. I also had too many small pieces in there and think there was no margin for error due to reduced air flow from the holes being blocked once the breeze died.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Get ya a BBQ guru and no more problems!
    Low country redneck who moved north

Aliens?
    We gave you Corn,you gave us clap,bad trade.

Sabotage

Maybe you need a Traeger pellet smoker?

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    Maybe you need a Traeger pellet smoker?
    X2

Set and forget. Simple

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. —George Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.

Did you go over temp and have to bring it down? I've done that a couple times and it's bad news, especially at that low of a temp. Even if you didn't, I believe at 225 it's a fairly precarious situation that the coals can smolder and doesn't take much for it to go out.

Damn yall over think this shit. Get ya a webber and some Kingsford and some good dry pecan and cook. This world is fucked
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Quote Originally Posted by DRDUCK View Post
    Damn yall over think this shit. Get ya a webber and some Kingsford and some good dry pecan and cook. This world is fucked
    Preach it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk