Thread: Pedestal base issue

Default Pedestal base issue

I have one pedestal base in the front of my jon boat. For lack of a better word the bushing has swollen, I guess. I can't get the seat to go in but maybe half way, even while sitting in the seat and trying to work it back and forth. I've tried oiling it, taking a file to it. I'm to the point where i'm just going to try to replace the bushing. The base is on a low deck Edge boat, so I don't have access to the underside. Is my best bet for bushing removal to cut a slit or section out with a modified hack saw? Also my other question is what would be the cause for the bushing to swell in the first place? The boat has spent 95% of it's life stored in a garage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    I dont know how it was done. For all I know that weird bastard that determined it's gender licked it.

Pic? If there is no access to the bottom, how would they have put it on at the factory? I have seen where manufacturers have welded in nuts so to speak. Have you tried turning the bolts in the base?
    All Men are self made, but, only the successful ones admit it!

2thDoc "because nothing matters till the games are played and clemson people have enjoyed success and know how to deal with it.

any other stupid questions?"......Classic!

CP#96743

can you take old base out and use rivnuts

Quote Originally Posted by DuckorBust View Post
    Pic? If there is no access to the bottom, how would they have put it on at the factory? I have seen where manufacturers have welded in nuts so to speak. Have you tried turning the bolts in the base?
    they install the damn things before assembly of the deck to hull.

Bent post? Take a sharpy marker and completely color the post, put it in the hole and move it around. The areas rubbed off will point towards your problem.
    Last edited by mello_collins; 07-10-2019 at 09:57 AM.

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. —George Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.

I've had the opposite problem, with a bushing getting worn out and having the seat wobble. No access on the bottom, so I had to break it up and cut it out. I'd definitely check to see if the post is straight first like recommended above.
    Last edited by wob; 07-10-2019 at 10:08 AM.

Drill it out with a 3/4" drill bit. Or even a 3/4" spade wood bit.

Quote Originally Posted by mello_collins View Post
    Bent post? Take a sharpy marker and completely color the post, put it in the hole and move it around. The areas rubbed off will point towards your problem.
    The post does not seem to be bent. It fits perfectly in the bushing in the extension.
    I dont know how it was done. For all I know that weird bastard that determined it's gender licked it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Habit View Post
    they install the damn things before assembly of the deck to hull.

This is what I believe they did

0369384C-7A18-4D52-A03D-D9DAFFB6595C.jpg

I took the post on the extension to the bench grinder but don’t want to do that with the seat post. I would rather fix the problem and get a new extension.

Is the only way to replace the bushing by taking the seat base out?
    The right to bear arms is the last form of defense against tyranny.

Beat it with a hammer?

There are also numerous replacemt bushings online available inexpensively. I would save myself the time and just replace it with a new one. Drill out the old, push new one in.

No, it’s my understanding that I could cut some slits in it and then possibly pull it out. Or like suggested above, drill it out. Just asking for the best way and also what may have caused the problem.

Drill out and replace with a brass/bronze bushing

I was able to get the old bushing out using a hack saw blade, flat head screw driver, hammer, and a pair of needle nose pliers. It wasn't too hard after cutting the sides with the hack saw blade. Got a brass bushing ordered to replace the old one, hopefully it will work well.

Quote Originally Posted by CUduckreeper View Post
    I was able to get the old bushing out using a hack saw blade, flat head screw driver, hammer, and a pair of needle nose pliers. It wasn't too hard after cutting the sides with the hack saw blade. Got a brass bushing ordered to replace the old one, hopefully it will work well.
    I would also polish the post on the seat, especially if you're putting a brass one in, so that the corrosion doesn't wear the brass. Just a thought.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Quote Originally Posted by Gone South View Post
    Drill out and replace with a brass/bronze bushing
    this
    or take some emory cloth to the post