Thread: LLY

Default LLY

How good or bad were the 05 duramax motors? Good or bad? What codes are the best to look for?
    All Men are self made, but, only the successful ones admit it!

2thDoc "because nothing matters till the games are played and clemson people have enjoyed success and know how to deal with it.

any other stupid questions?"......Classic!

CP#96743

I have an 05 with 290000 miles. KRT replaces the injectors at about 280000 but other than that, it’s been bullet proof.

Cant beat them. I miss mine.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

I own one and it’s been good to me. I understand they need a lift pump add on to prevent the injection pump from being starved. I have my pump just need some downtime to get it installed.

I put over 200k miles on two different LLYs and never had a single issue. Just kept the fuel treated with a few different products (not the cheap stuff), fuel filters a few times a year and changed the oil every once in a while. Good motors but of course they are prone to going through injectors like you are already aware. Kind of a crap shoot as far as that goes.

No complaints with mine. I have had it 14 years and drive it daily.

Look for the pump rub on the transfer case as well. It should have been replaced by now. Also the instrument cluster & ac blend replaced. The ball joints & wheel bearings were the only other main issue. Sold mine with 150k with original pads on it.

I had an ‘05 it was a great truck. Owned it since new with zero real issues. Sold it to member here and I believe it’s still going strong.

Best use sealed or AGM batteries also.

Default LLY

We now have three LLYs on the farm, 180k, 213k and 285k. We just got the high mile one but the others have had no major issues since early ages. I’ve took the time to learn mine inside and out and I love it.

I’ve got EFI for mine personally and It’s been a blessing for monitoring. I’m a little anal about my truck and monitor engine performance.

Only issue you’ll ever be guaranteed to have at some point is an injector harness failure if it has never be replaced. Learn the “Ice Pick Trick”. It’ll get you home in a pinch. Been there, done that......twice

Only thing I’d change on mine is put a 6 speed Allison behind it instead of the 5 speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by buckshot1224; 07-08-2019 at 08:28 PM.
    **2008 & 2009 Bream World Champion**

Genesis 27:3

Any of y’all tried the LML hydro boost swap?

Also if anyone has been wondering why no t6 15w40, it’s finally on the shelf. No 2.5g or qts yet though.

A07ED505-4D14-4302-A20D-B7D69565D287.jpg
    Last edited by wdhigh; 07-09-2019 at 02:31 AM.

Speaking of oil what does everyone use? I had someone speak very highly of the amsoil products. When I had my 7.3 I ran nothing but rotella in it and motorcraft filters.
    Thanks for the comments fellas. I'm supposed to go pick up a 05 gmc crew cab tomorrow that is in incredible shape. Already has all the right stuff on it......for 12 but it does have a little over 200 on it. My son will drive it as I have a company car now. I probably wouldn't normally get him a diesel but it will be perfect to pull the boat and camper.
    All Men are self made, but, only the successful ones admit it!

2thDoc "because nothing matters till the games are played and clemson people have enjoyed success and know how to deal with it.

any other stupid questions?"......Classic!

CP#96743

Another thing about those model Duramaxes is that they put some sort of magical elixir on the brake pads that makes them last for 600,000 miles. I swear I never replaced mine and when I sold both trucks they were at 50% or something.

Now have a f150 with 50k miles and already been through pads

Rotella 15w-40, the regular stuff. Same stuff all my tractors get. Never an issue.

There was a big test done at one point I same on dieselplace.com and it was what held up the best over any synthetic.

Funny you mention brakes.......213k on my truck and last 30k have been 90% with a loaded 10 Ton gooseneck, still the original brake. Did have to flush the brake fluid system recently because the pedal had gotten soft from the brake fluid breaking down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    **2008 & 2009 Bream World Champion**

Genesis 27:3