Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: what Suppressor are you running?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck the Duck Slayer View Post
    Just get one of each by the time they get out of ATF jail it’ll be like christmas. Check out tarheel state firearms and if you need an attorney for a trust let me know.
    Will do thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by FLS View Post
    I’m not poo pooing his suppressor. I’m try to decide if I screwed up by listening to bad advice and letting a good suppressor get away.
    Certainly not gonna offend me.

They use to be quite complex, but they have really stream lined them. So much so they won the CSASS contract. Nothing to get "crud" hung up on all the debris goes out the front. All the other cans mentioned put it back down in the action. Hence why I said semi guns they are a God send. They actually contacted me last year about building several cans to run on a mini gun. My self and 2 engineers didn't flinch about the debris, it was the extra weight causing wear on the bearings and housings that scared us. I haven't brought myself to take them up on it yet. The thought of another race bearing channel eroding out scares the crap out of me.

I have a truck load of suppressors and can run what ever I want, most are hype and are a copy of some ones else copy, with a minor change.

Be careful what you read as far as attenuation goes. Many of the companies are measuring at the muzzle. Make sure your comparing apples to apples. Another thing to note is no matter what the dB reduction is all cans have their own signature. 3 cans may have all the same dB reduction, but the shooter may swear one is "more quite" than the other 2. The new testing takes this into account, sort of. After 2017 ARDEC started quantifying gas blow back. Everyone complains about the gas when shooting a semi. So the US Army decided to quantify this issue. But why do you need charging handles and gas tubes when you can just run a can that lets the gas go out the front like a gun with out a can?

Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot

Good info Silent. A can that vents does seem like a good idea. Does it make much difference on a gas gun with respect to adjustable gas block changes? In other words, does one still need to adjust the gas block when switching between sub and super sonic ammo?

I hope y'all catch them, prayers sent

If it is a “switch block” that shuts the gas off to make the gun operate like a bolt gun and you want that feature then yes

If you have screw type block the answer is no unless your running some home brew subs.
    Most of the commercial stuff now creates enough impulse to cycle the gun and the gun will essentially act as if there is no can on it. If I recall it is something like a 5% increase in back pressure for a OSS.

Many of the krink style brakes have 15-20% back pressure increases. A traditional baffle can will increase back pressure anywhere from 30-55% so your talking a huge lack of gas gunk and particulates being forced back down the bore and unlocking bolts early.

I never mess with the switch on the SCARs anymore. Which was always a really nice feature when I would run a traditional can. If that is any sort of guide.

The big thing is you don’t need a bolt carrier from Gemtech a gas buster charging handle and a new gas block just to run a can.
    OSS took a whole other approach and nailed it.

As noted earlier I have other favorites for bolt guns but if I could only pick one can it would be OSS
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck the Duck Slayer View Post
    Just get one of each by the time they get out of ATF jail it’ll be like christmas. Check out tarheel state firearms and if you need an attorney for a trust let me know.
    Not trying to short attorneys business, but from an attorney who has set them up, you don't need an attorney. It's easy and there are plenty of tutorials on line. Do it yourself and save your nickles.
    Carolina Counsel

I run two centerfire cans now:

Thunder Beast Ultra 7
    SilencerCo Saker 762

I run the Ultra on all of my suppressed bolt guns and my 6.5mm Grendel AR. I love it. I was advised by TBAC customer service to use their brake system if I was going to be moving it frequently between host rifles, so I went that route and have not regretted it. I've used it on 7mm Rem Mag, 308 Win, 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5 Grendel … all phenomenal. The 7 Mag is a pussy cat. POI repeatability dead on.

The Saker is my primary AR can. Being a 7.62 can, it is effective as hell on 5.56mm guns when I put the 5.56 end cap on it. Also, being a 7.62 can, it's HEAVY for an AR can. But it was my first suppressor and I got it to cover as many guns as I could. IF I get another suppressor, it may well be the SilencerCo Saker 556K so I can stick with my current QD SilencerCo brake system on AR's - then I'd relegate the 7.62 to my AR-10 and maybe a heavy duty 308 Savage bolt gun build where I may not use the Ultra.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Thanks for the information

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    Saltedbutter's advice isn't anecdotal or hearsay. He gets to test shit first hand.
    You think silent weapon doesn’t??

Muzzle brake

Quote Originally Posted by locked up View Post
    You think silent weapon doesn’t??
    No, why do you ask?

Just by that paragraph I can tell silent weapons is more knowledgeable on the subject than I am. Very good points, and i personally have not even shot thru an OSS. My limited knowledge is predominantly on Dead Air products.

Side note, I’ve never been on a forum where guys are so eager to jump to conclusions and get butt hurt over the simplest statements.

Quote Originally Posted by saltedbutter View Post
    I’ve never been on a forum where guys are so eager to jump to conclusions and get butt hurt over the simplest statements.
    Quote worthy

fixin to jump in the suppressor world myself. Ideally I would like one that I can put on my AR9 and AR15 with occasional use on a 7mm-08 bolt gun. Can one suppressor do all that well? Wouldnt mind using it on my G19 also. Would one for a 9mm work very well on the smaller 5.56 I guess is what I'm asking. Thanks

One suppressor can do that moderately well as for the rifles. Check out Omega (as well as others mentioned above).
    Carolina Counsel

So you could use one without needing to change the end cap or other parts and it would do a good job? I would like my first one to be flexible enough to cover most of what I want to try it on then I'm sure another will follow. Thanks

If it’s possible to have a silencer that will work on everything from 9MM to high powered rifle. It’s not going to do any of it very well in comparison to having dedicated to one or the other. Being as it’s something you’ll likely have the rest of your life I’d suggest waiting on a quality pistol and quality rifle silencer. It’s like wanting one vehicle that can be a sports car and also pull a camper. Nothing does both really well, and if it did, it would be very expensive.

I have an Omega I use on 5.56 up to .308. I have an end cap for 5.56 but I cannot really tell much difference in the sound level so I leave the 30 caliber end cap on it just to reduce the chance of screwing up and forgetting to change it for shooting fatter bullets.

I agree with Saltedbutter that you may want to get a different can for pistols. I can use proprietary QD muzzle accessories (brakes and flash hiders) and interchange one can among several rifles but the pistol attachments are different. I'm not sure if pistol cans need to be as heavily built as rifle cans.