Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Quail hatching

don't feed those little punims to the basses

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
    Well damn they may end up bass food after all. Do you mean the bird or the egg was nasty?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    They shit all over the place . Diarrhea !!! Stink like hell . I didn't keep the filthy bastards long enough to lay eggs.Very cannibalistic !!!
    HRCH Fat Daddy Cash MH
    HRCH Tonka's Rebel Yell MH

This is the first hatchling from yesterday. About double size. Looks like bird now. More are hatching.

this one would be pretty cool to mount and use on your desk as a paper weight

Quote Originally Posted by PharmHunter View Post
    I feel sort twisted saying this, but a video of your bass eating one would be "cool".

I feel bad now, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    this one would be pretty cool to mount and use on your desk as a paper weight
    Get him some ostarine and he could be a door stop.

I've hatched and raised a bunch. If you have any questions, PM me. I have GA Giant Bobwhites as well. They are neat for their sounds but very inefficient (the Bobwhites). I can get 4 generations of coturnix in a year. The BWs take a year to get one. They can be butchered at 5 wks, and lay eggs at 8 wks. They lay like it's their job.

Hardest part about them is figuring out how to keep them from killing each other. They need lots of room. If you get an aggressive one, cull it, you can't break em. They scalp other birds down past the eyes. Vicious.

The eggs are awesome any way you cook em. Beet pickled quail eggs are amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by CurLee View Post
    I've hatched and raised a bunch. If you have any questions, PM me. I have GA Giant Bobwhites as well. They are neat for their sounds but very inefficient (the Bobwhites). I can get 4 generations of coturnix in a year. The BWs take a year to get one. They can be butchered at 5 wks, and lay eggs at 8 wks. They lay like it's their job.

Hardest part about them is figuring out how to keep them from killing each other. They need lots of room. If you get an aggressive one, cull it, you can't break em. They scalp other birds down past the eyes. Vicious.

The eggs are awesome any way you cook em. Beet pickled quail eggs are amazing.
    That's awesome, I definitely will message you. Thanks!

I started with Bobwhites just last year so I didn't get eggs until this spring. Wasn't going to but I finally broke down and threw some in the incubator. 100% fertility, but just over 60% hatch rate. Bout to set 50 more eggs this week.

Resized952019081095082117.jpg

I started with Bobwhites just last year so I didn't get eggs until this spring. Wasn't going to but I finally broke down and threw some in the incubator. 100% fertility, but just over 60% hatch rate. Bout to set 50 more eggs this week.

Resized952019081095082117.jpg
    Very cool!

Are those for eating?

I have enjoyed my coturnix. They are now about 6 weeks old. I hatched 8 out of 15. 1 died yesterday. He was beat up so I assume one of the other males put him down cause they all seem very healthy.

I made a couple modular cages that I can add on to if I want more. I wish they could use the chicken waterer but they can't seem to peck it hard enough. Their shit just falls to the ground and I rake it over every day. I may put a compost bin under them. The sand box is their favorite thing by far. Hopefully they start laying in the next few days.

cool stuff. i may get in on this soon. would be fun to have a few to let the dogs hunt

Eating and replacing my breeders. I'll keep the fattest and swap with a friend to mix lines.

Once I get some good switchgrass strips established I'm going to get a less domesticated line to raise on the ground and release.

These waterers work great and easy to clean with an old toothbrush.

20190812_181240.jpg
    20190812_181223.jpg

These waterers work great and easy to clean with an old toothbrush.

20190812_181240.jpg
    20190812_181223.jpg
    Yea I need switch to something like that for sure. I am hoping to do another hatch here shortly of the coturnix.

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

You are doing it the hard way. I raised quail for years and the best way to hatch and care for a brood of quail is to use a banty hen. I put 40 eggs under one and she hatched 38 of them, 2 Tennessee Reds. She only lost 2 eggs and she didn't lose a single chick. Raised them all until I put them in the quail house. I would let her out of the brood pen and she would walk around the yard showing the chicks how to feed. If I got too close to her she would bow out squat down facing me and cluck real sharp, quail chicks would go running to her and crawl under her. I would back off and she would stand up and walk away from me. Not a chick was left on the ground but little quail chick heads would start popping up out of her feathers.

If you can find a setting banty and put switch her over to a big clutch of quail eggs she's do all the work for you. All you have to do is feed and water her. Once they hatch let the hen have free range of the yard. Be sure to have a video camera handy, I wish I had done that when I used hens. Course that was nigh on 50 years ago and camera tech was still somewhat primitive and bulky.
    Last edited by Mergie Master; 08-13-2019 at 08:29 AM.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    You are doing it the hard way. I raised quail for years and the best way to hatch and care for a brood of quail is to use a banty hen. I put 40 eggs under one and she hatched 38 of them, 2 Tennessee Reds. She only lost 2 eggs and she didn't lose a single chick. Raised them all until I put them in the quail house. I would let her out of the brood pen and she would walk around the yard showing the chicks how to feed. If I got too close to her she would bow out squat down facing me and cluck real sharp, quail chicks would go running to her and crawl under her. I would back off and she would stand up and walk away from me. Not a chick was left on the ground but little quail chick heads would start popping up out of her feathers.

If you can find a setting banty and put switch her over to a big clutch of quail eggs she's do all the work for you. All you have to do is feed and water her. Once they hatch let the hen have free range of the yard. Be sure to have a video camera handy, I wish I had done that when I used hens. Course that was nigh on 50 years ago and camera tech was still somewhat primitive and bulky.
    Damn that is clever. When I was incubating my I couldn't help but feel dumb because a real bird does it without a second thought and there I was messing with the incubator etc.

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Damn that is clever. When I was incubating my I couldn't help but feel dumb because a real bird does it without a second thought and there I was messing with the incubator etc.
    I lucked out or actually stumbled on it. I had bought the eggs and my incubator crapped out while I was prepping it. A guy that worked on my uncle's farm told me his mama had a banty hen that just started setting and she didn't need anymore chickens walking around the yard. He suggested I try it cause I had nothing to lose. We drove out to his mom's in the country and pulled a little red banty off her eggs in a corner of the barn. Brought her home and put her on the quail eggs and she took to them like they were hers. It was really neat watching her raise and protect those quail chicks. They knew exactly what her warning clucks meant too. I think I had the first bilingual quail chicks in history.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

Japanese quail or Coturnix quail is probably half the size of bob white but it has an amazing quick/fast flight.....smaller the size, fast is the flight... I'm doing it on commercial scale for meat, eggs & most Importantly hunting. This breed of quail is immune to most diseases and easy to raise. However, extreme cannibalism or picking is an issue.

They lay approx. 260-290 eggs a year...... i hatch, brood and then shift them to flight pens at the age of 8-9 weeks. Another 8-10 weeks in pen and they are V. good for hunting...My current capacity is 5000 birds but i'm trying to raise it to 10,000 birds a year due to high demand in hunters (friends).

Attachment 52328
    Attachment 52329
    Attachment 52330
    Attachment 52331

P.S... Give them flying space.... Put small furit crates in it and some bush to hide.... Watch them grow like a topsy.... at 18-20 weeks, they give you hardly a second and fly out of shotgun range.
    Last edited by cyrusthevirus; 12-31-2019 at 06:40 AM.

I’m in awe.

Cyrus that is awesome. Cool stuff.

Amazing. Thanks for posting. Did you start with 5,000 or just a few and it grew? Do your birds not absolutely murder each other?