Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Quail hatching

Its my 4th year.... I started off with 300 birds, lost 100 birds in first few months....remaining 200 grew to 5000....Theres one king in the pen, he'll pick and kill males/females...

1. For breeding, 1 male 4-5 females in a sperate cage. This produces 200+ eggs per hen a year.
    2. After 5th week, depending on cage size, put too many in the cage so they don't have space to move much. This will help reduce the murdering/picking part.
    3. After 8 weeks, if you intend to hunt, put them in big enough cage where rest can feed or hide seperately otherwise you'll keep on losing the birds. The feed required up to
    6 weeks of age is about 500 g per chick, and thereafter it is about 30 g per bird per day
    4. They are extremely carnivorous, if the feed & water is not ample, they will kill and feed on each other. Put 2 or 3 feeders and water container.
    5. In your case, From five to 14 weeks of age, birds are grown in the dark to prevent cannibalism. Light stimulates bird activity; thus, less cannibalism occurs with birds
    grown in dark-out housing.
    6. Coturnix or any other breed needs high protein diet. If feed is not right, they will kill.

If you're interested in inscreasing the setup, I've written a step by step plan for Coturnix, Pheasants, Bob Quail & Partridge, from hatcery, eggs, brooding, feeding, flight pens, disease control, DOs & Don'ts, etc . Let me know if you're interested, I'll share it with you for free, it might help you.

This is a feed chart, adjust your feed for max results.
    Attachment 52339

Quote Originally Posted by cyrusthevirus View Post
    Its my 4th year.... I started off with 300 birds, lost 100 birds in first few months....remaining 200 grew to 5000....Theres one king in the pen, he'll pick and kill males/females...

1. For breeding, 1 male 4-5 females in a sperate cage. This produces 200+ eggs per hen a year.
    2. After 5th week, depending on cage size, put too many in the cage so they don't have space to move much. This will help reduce the murdering/picking part.
    3. After 8 weeks, if you intend to hunt, put them in big enough cage where rest can feed or hide seperately otherwise you'll keep on losing the birds. The feed required up to
    6 weeks of age is about 500 g per chick, and thereafter it is about 30 g per bird per day
    4. They are extremely carnivorous, if the feed & water is not ample, they will kill and feed on each other. Put 2 or 3 feeders and water container.
    5. In your case, From five to 14 weeks of age, birds are grown in the dark to prevent cannibalism. Light stimulates bird activity; thus, less cannibalism occurs with birds
    grown in dark-out housing.
    6. Coturnix or any other breed needs high protein diet. If feed is not right, they will kill.

If you're interested in inscreasing the setup, I've written a step by step plan for Coturnix, Pheasants, Bob Quail & Partridge, from hatcery, eggs, brooding, feeding, flight pens, disease control, DOs & Don'ts, etc . Let me know if you're interested, I'll share it with you for free, it might help you.

This is a feed chart, adjust your feed for max results.
    Attachment 52339
    Wow very cool to see how dialed in you have it. I had a bunch of issues with bird killing but culled out until it stopped. For my next hatch I will try your suggestions.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Great thread!

This dude leads a pretty cool life.

Rodney we raised those when I was a kid as well as bobwhites. We called those pharoh quail. They were hardier than the bobwhites, much higher percentage would survive to adulthood. My job as a kid was raising them. My dad was a bird hunter, trained his dogs with pen raised quail (never shot them though) and when he sold puppies he'd seed the buyer a dozen or so quail for their own training efforts. I was also the bird handler. I've rolled a plenty of those eggs daily either on top of a feed barrel in the barn waiting for a clutch or in the incubator. We'd set around 100 at a time. We also used brooders but in time I found putting a live hen was much more reliable. The hens would freak out at first but after a day or two would seemingly adopt the chicks. I've had upwards or 30-40 quail chicks in a pen with a hen and all up under her about to lift her off the floor. The hens would even puff up, fuss and charge when I'd feed and water. So the rotation went from a hen in the brooder till pin feathers showed on the chicks then another hen in a pen with a light bulb hanging. We augmented the bobwhites with wild chicks and a cock captured after they'd fallen into a freshly dug water line on a neighbors property. This was 40 years ago by the way and not something I'd do today. I even worked in turkey chicks and pheasant chicks with the adoptive hen quail. They all make the same chick calls. It was something to see a turkey chick's head poking out from under a hen quail it was almost as big as and with about 20-30 quail chicks stuffed under there, little legs showing everywhere. This thread brings back some memories that have been gone a long time. Thanks and sorry for the rambling.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

That's awesome. I would have been all over that as a child. Hell I'd be all over that today. My coturnix are down to just 2, a male and female. Ate some, some died to fighting, and 1 just randomly died. I have about 40 eggs to hatch but I'm going to wait until my son is born in the next week or so. It makes sense that a momma bird would take care of them. I will try putting my hen in with the chicks.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I've increased my quail production to 8k...... Ready to be shifted to flight pen...... 2000 birds hunt in 6 weeks .... Friends n family only, not commercial.

Also thinking to produce biogas from droppings but they have high acidity, thinking of hydrolysis by mixing it with other raw materials to reduce the pH to 7...then biomethanation process to release bacteria to do its job.... clean this through bio filters.. reduce the sulfur... and then remove the moisture... store it and then fire the engines.. connect to generator-- produce electricity.

Anyone has any experience in this regard, pls share.

quail 1.jpg
    quail 2.jpg
    quails3.jpg

we had a bobwhite as a pet when i was 7 or so. He would call to us and fly wherever we were in the house. We also had brown carpet, and I ended up stepping on him. I have never fully recovered.
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    -Samuel Adams

yeah no way he's real.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

First quail shoot 2020... 4 guns, fun day but very hot weather.

Quail first shoot 2020.jpg

Well, I hatched about 18 or so. Not sure what to do with them now.

Fun day with kids.....3 hours shoot, followed by field bbq....2nd quail shoot of the season.

Quail 2nd shoot 2020 dog.jpg
    Quail 2nd shoot 2020.jpg
    Attachment 57521

Now I want quail legs for supper...

Damn I need to to my game.