Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: How'd Y'all Do It?

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    ^ his name on here is "lbs".. that is funny.
    #poundsign
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    You're also one of select few clemings with sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Bart View Post
    You serious, Clark?
    Dead.

Fruits and veggies?!

He said low carb. Not all the carbs.

Dentist. I swear.

Low carb, quit sodas & sweet tea. Go to the gym & walk 2 miles. Lost 35lbs in months. Down 50 in a year.

Find a workout partner. When you may not go for yourself you’ll go to meet your partner, if you’re worth a shit person. That and clean up your diet. P op,e that cut out anything white, all carbs, etc etc many times slide back bc it’s not a realistic lifestyle choice. G luck.
    \"We say grace and we say maam, if you ain\'t into that, we don\'t give a damn.\" HW Jr.

I don’t understand when people say cutting out certain foods cannot be maintained because it’s not realistic. It’s can be very real if you want it to be.

I know someone who hasn’t eaten bread, pasta, or dairy in just over eight years. This is a guy who loved cheese, bread, pizza, etc.

My grandfather died an alcoholic at the age of 85, yet he didn’t have a drink the last 37 years of his life. He woke up one morning and decided he was done.

EXERCISE IS NOT FOR WEIGHT LOSS

i dont understand why people wont understand this point.
    and its not about calorie in, calorie out. I think only one person in this thread spoke truthfully on that point. It DOES matter where that calorie comes from.

I kinda miss stripa.....kinda.....
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post

I've been with you til now. How you figure that.

^ It does matter where that calorie comes from^

It’s true, calories from Zoe’s or Taziki’s stick to my thighs, but calories from Taco Bell run immediately into the sewer.

If I ate every Taco Bell 24/7, I would eventually starve to death.
    Last edited by JJ1965; 09-17-2019 at 06:42 AM.
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    You're also one of select few clemings with sense.

It is more important to cut intake than to expect to exercise it off.

Meat and veggies.

Manual work around the house and farm instead of the gym. You save money and accomplish something instead of paying someone to do your work while you pay someone to pump their iron.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

exercise is for mental health and cardiac health.

https://www.vox.com/2018/1/3/1684543...-burn-calories
    i did not read the article but that was first thing that came up....

"DIET" should be defined as the foods you put in your body....not a short term change in foods you eat.
    Others espouse a meat-centric diet. That's ok but I would tell people that want to be healthy to exercise and eat fruits and veggies. I also happen to be a fairly realistic person and know that I will continue to eat meat. I have tried to change my "diet" to eat primarily fresh foods. I will still eat meat, but the impetus will be on the vegetable.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

and, listen, BE A SKEPTIC. There is far too much info available to fit your agenda. Its interesting these days how people will continue to google until they find someone who says what they want to hear. Its like googling "what diet will let me eat bacon for days" and you will find it. Do your own research but be skeptical of much of what you read. Find a trusted resource and run with it...

from that article above:
    By preventing cancers, improving blood pressure, cholesterol and sugar, bolstering sleep, attention, energy and mood, and doing so much more, exercise has indisputably proven itself to be the world’s best drug – better than any pharmaceutical product any physician could ever prescribe. Sadly though, exercise is not a weight loss drug, and so long as we continue to push exercise primarily (and sadly sometimes exclusively) in the name of preventing or treating adult or childhood obesity, we’ll also continue to short-change the public about the genuinely incredible health benefits of exercise, and simultaneously misinform them about the realities of long term weight management.

I completely agree, 2th. Calories in calories out is an old mantra that is not viable. One may lose weight by focusing solely on calories but its not going to be optimized. The makeup of those calories is the most important factor for their overall health. Exercise is great but it will never allow someone to negate the negative effects of a bad diet. Exercise is extremely important for improving the quality of life.

I've tried all the "fad" diets of the past and present...The one thing that works for me I learned from one of the toughest and fittest guys I ever met...That is eat just once a day...It's kinda like fasting a bit...That meal for me is in the evening...It still has to be a healthy meal though...Drink nothing but water, no sugar, no gluten, no grains, no starches, etc...Have a "cheat day" once a week to reward yourself and kill the cravings...You know you are winning when you can skip "cheat day".

"You cannot, CANNOT, out exercise a bad diet. Period" (Glenn 1).

This right here. I was working out 5 days a week, but eating like a dumbass. Its taken a few months but I am down from 265 to 225. I measure and weigh my food for proper portion control and drink water. I cant kick the habit of my zero calorie energy drinks though. damn things are like crack in a can...

exercise is for mental health and cardiac health.
    And to increase cortical bone density, boost immune system, increase and maintain lean muscle mass. It's for a lot of stuff.

Exercise is great and will help with many different health benefits. If you exercise and previously did not you will shed some weight sure. Easiest thing to do first is to change your diet and slowly begin with some exercise. Reason I say that is if you truly change what you eat then the first few weeks will suck and adding something extra to the mix most likely will turn you away from it. If you really want to make some changes start with what you put in your body. Cut out soda, tea, and pretty much anything that is not water. Not saying you can never have any just moderation. Allow yourself maybe one soda a week or one glass small glass of sweet tea but again moderation not every day and not every meal. Only eat meat at one meal and do freak out you will get plenty of protein if you do enough research and pick the fruits and veggies you eat wisely. If you need help I do not mind helping I deal with nutrition a lot with Athletes and can provide you some information if needed.
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    And to increase cortical bone density, boost immune system, increase and maintain lean muscle mass. It's for a lot of stuff.
    agreed. but not weight loss.

and I understand what you're saying darealdeal....but instead on focusing on "cutting out tea, sodas, etc" it makes sense to me to concentrate on what I should be eating and eat it. soda? hell no. sweet tea? not even close to on my list. I also dont think telling the OP to eat jerky is even remotely healthy. Loaded w sugar and salt unless you make it yourself. and, I am trying not to eat anything that comes in a package.

and this "i eat one meal a day and it works for me" is wrong in lots of ways. if you eat the right foods, you can eat them whenever you want.

I hate store bought jerky

i dont understand why people wont understand this point.
    and its not about calorie in, calorie out. I think only one person in this thread spoke truthfully on that point. It DOES matter where that calorie comes from.

I kinda miss stripa.....kinda.....
    What he said
    There are good carbs and bad carbs
    There are good sugars and bad sugars
    There are different types of fat, etc
    The words "processed" and "refined" are your enemy
    Also the "sugar substitutes" can be fattening as heck

A rapid egg cooker is another useful tool. They're cheap (less than $20) and very effective if you like boiled eggs. You can make them soft, medium, or hard boiled by varying the amount of water you use. Virtually no clean up, takes very little time, and can be easily transported. I use mine at home almost daily. They're great for someone looking for snack options in an office setting.