Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: How'd Y'all Do It?

Default How'd Y'all Do It?

I'm way outta shape and tired of looking and feeling like crap. Problem is, exercise sucks, and food tastes good. For those of you who've successfully dealt with this issue, how'd you do it? Thanks in advance for your feedback.

I’m in your boat. I can make myself go to the gym everyday problem is changing my eating habits and quitting dipping.

Need to have a goal. What is you want to accomplish? 50lb, 75lbs....reward yourself. Once you hit your final milestone take a big trip you’ve been putting off, etc...

And the hard part about eating right and exercising is to just do it. Yeah it sucks but getting your mind right is the hardest part.
    Quote Originally Posted by squatty View Post
    R. Not
    So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in him, rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness. —Colossians 2:6–7

I have done it before with success but then backslide and give it all back.
    The one thing that does work for me when I commit to it is not eating anything white
    such as flour, sugar, pasta, starchy potatoes etc...…...when I do that......I drop 10 or 15 lbs fairly quick.

You'll have to eat clean. And you'll need to learn to cook & prepare ahead of time. Get some recipes, cause eating the same shit over & over gets old quick. Unless its the "good stuff"...

It’s not a diet. It’s a lifestyle. The best thing for me is that I enjoy eating meat. Protein. A steak is like dessert for me. I can eat fatty ribeyes and lean out. If I look at carbs I gain weight.

I like fishing, I like climbing trees, I like hiking in on public land, I like chasing kids...etc. eating and working out enhances those things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sleeve gastrectomy!!!!!

Cigs are my poison. I’ve put them down for a year, then started back, then for 9 months and started back then stopped for a month and now I’m back on um. Almost to the point of accepting my fate.
    867-5309

There is no magic pill. Dedication, discipline and ownership is what it takes.

Whole foods. If it won't rot in a week you shouldn't eat it. No sugar. And if you're one of the "I gots tuh have muh sweets teas" then you've already lost.

You cannot, CANNOT, out exercise a bad diet. Period.

I get asked all the time "How do you keep from eating too much or the wrong food?" It's simple. I just don't. I'm the one that controls what I eat, when and how much. I'm responsible and so are you.

I lost 25 lbs by giving up fast food and soft drinks. I also would walk three miles each day, and I mean power walking as well, not a leisurely stroll.

If you have to have a burger or something, cook it at the house. Stay away from the fast food joints.

Just have to decide if you wanna live healthier or not. That's on you and no one else. Simply make the right choices.

Kind of like when you drive down the road- you could choose to drive the wrong direction. Probably wont work out too well, but you could choose to do it.
    Please support March of Dimes

www.marchforbabies.org/MadelineRai

Eat less and move more is what I've been trying and it works. But seriously trying to eat healthier and eating smaller portions isn't all that hard. A grilled chicken salad for lunch instead of a chicken sandwich or cheeseburger. Veggies as a side instead of potatoes. Bacon and eggs instead of pancakes. Drink water instead of something with sugar in it. One thing my wife told me that has helped me eat smaller portions is to eat for around 10 minutes then take a 5 or so minute break. Most of the time you will realize you are full during the break, where as if you hadn't taken the time for the break you would have kept eating. Little things like that can make a big difference in the long run.
    Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    I dont know how it was done. For all I know that weird bastard that determined it's gender licked it.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post

Whole foods. If it won't rot in a week you shouldn't eat it. No sugar. And if you're one of the "I gots tuh have muh sweets teas" then you've already lost.

I get asked all the time "How do you keep from eating too much or the wrong food?" It's simple. I just don't. I'm the one that controls what I eat, when and how much. I'm responsible and so are you.
    I really respect people that can completely give up sugar and all things bad. I just can't for the life of me do it my self. I mean I could, but I'm not going to live my life not being able to eat "the good stuff" occasionally.

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    I have done it before with success but then backslide and give it all back.
    The one thing that does work for me when I commit to it is not eating anything white
    such as flour, sugar, pasta, starchy potatoes etc...…...when I do that......I drop 10 or 15 lbs fairly quick.
    Yep. That's one principle that I know works for sure. Problem is, white rice and sweet tea fall in that category...

Quote Originally Posted by Black Bart View Post
    I'm way outta shape and tired of looking and feeling like crap. Problem is, exercise sucks, and food tastes good. For those of you who've successfully dealt with this issue, how'd you do it? Thanks in advance for your feedback.
    Win small battles first. Pick one thing to abandon at a time, whether it be sodas, desserts, and seconds at supper. Glenn's right about whole foods but some folks do better if they change their lives incrementally.

Along the same lines of small battles, start with some moderate exercise you won't hate. Brisk walking with favorite music perhaps. If you have access to a pool, brisk walking from the shallow to the deep end for a few laps and then swim a few laps. You'll burn calories and work muscles and not sweat your ganolies off. Whatever you choose, you want to elevate your heart rate to 90 or 100 BPM for twenty minutes minimum and work up to thirty or beyond.

Eventually, you'll plateau on these baby steps in diet and exercise. You can step up your game at that time in terms of diet and exercise.

I mean you can eat something bad once and a blue moon, like once every couple of months or so, if you have a strong will. If you don't care, it'll snatch you back in. It's not like it's AIDS or anything where all it takes is a smidge to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post

This is HARD! I guess after time it becomes "normal". I commend you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    This is HARD! I guess after time it becomes "normal". I commend you.
    If you want to change you have to change. Period. You aren't going to be different by continuing to do the same stuff that got you to a point where you want to change.

I talk to so many people who want to lose weight and be fit but don't want to be uncomfortable or give anything up to get there. It's insanity. What you're doing obviously isn't working so do something else.

Yup. Momma always said, pretty is painful.

Quote Originally Posted by Remy View Post
    I really respect people that can completely give up sugar and all things bad. I just can't for the life of me do it my self. I mean I could, but I'm not going to live my life not being able to eat "the good stuff" occasionally.
    No one is 100% clean. Not even me. But with someone who doesn't have discipline and self control moderation leads to failure. It becomes too easy to create special occasions to self sabotage. Starts out with weekends only. Then a hard day at work. Then it's Woodrow Wilson's birthday so we gotta drink and have cake. Next thing you know you're right back where you started and "That diet didn't work for me" is tossed out there.

Again. If you want to change then change. If not accept where you are and that it's your fault and move on.