Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ceramic Grills

Default Ceramic Grills

In the market for a ceramic grill. Sell me on the best one. Pros and Cons.
    :FYT:

Chevy/Ford to me

I went with the Primo because I prefer the oval cooking surface for the majority of food I cook.

heard good things about the Primo because of the oval cooking surface. what did you find you couldn't cook on a Kamado/BGE that you can on the primo? just curious.

For 1 I can get more racks of ribs onto a "smaller" grill. I have the Primo LG where I would need a XL of most rounds to do the same. Food feels more front and center to me on the oval vs. round as well. Just personal preference though...

I got a Kamado Joe classic for Father’s Day. I have only used it a hand full of times but I really like it so far.

the Kamado Joe comes with the accessories where the others are sold separately, right?

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

Ive had the Kamodo Joe for 7 years. I like it. Need to replace the gasket though
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

does yours have the fiberglass mesh gasket? I've seen where the Kamado Joe 2 comes with a fiberglass mesh gasket.

Quote Originally Posted by ECUPirate View Post
    the Kamado Joe comes with the accessories where the others are sold separately, right?
    Yes it came as a package with everything needed to start cooking. The big green egg you had to buy every piece separate. The Kamado Joe was also a few hundred dollars cheaper than the egg.

I picked up my egg at the North GA Eggfest many years ago at about 30% off MSRP. You're essentially buying a brand new EGG that's just broken in by a team on the day of the festival, once it cools down they load into the back of your truck and you're on your way. I think they've got little EggFests all around, they're just sponsored by the local ACE hardware and you buy it from them prior to heading to the event and picking it up. No regrets on the egg at all, I got an XL and wouldn't recommend going much smaller than that.
    "some men are mere hunters, others are turkey hunters"-Archibald Rutledge

I picked up a Large Egg about a month and half ago. Local dealer was getting out of it and had them marked 40% off. I've enjoyed it for what I've cooked on it.

My uncles has a Primos and its nice the few times I've cooked with him on it.

As previously stated, Chevy vs Ford thing.

If I ever get one I think I would get the Kamado Joe Classic II- lifetime warranty on the ceramic.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlight Hunter View Post
    If I ever get one I think I would get the Kamado Joe Classic II- lifetime warranty on the ceramic.
    The big green egg warranty and the kamado joe both have lifetime warranty on the ceramics.

Whatever you get, get the XL.

I have the Primo round, same size as BGE large. I love the grill and cook on it 3 or 4 times a week but I wish it had more room.

Looked at a KJ that had the locking mechanism and a nice gasket, don't know what version it was but I believe it was about $1100. If just comparing to a regular BGE, I decided to go cheaper and waited for the Vision grills to go on sale at Sam's during August. $400.

Quote Originally Posted by Quack07 View Post
    Whatever you get, get the XL.

I have the Primo round, same size as BGE large. I love the grill and cook on it 3 or 4 times a week but I wish it had more room.
    If you plan on doing more than two butts at a time or similar size cooks, I definitely agree with this.

the $1100 version is the Kamado Joe II. it has the locking mechanism and fiberglass mesh gasket. they just recently came out with a Kamado Joe III that looks pretty sweet as well.

Over Memorial Day I purchased a ceramic cooker from Costco. It is made by Louisiana Cookers and it looks like a big blue egg. It is about the same dimensions as an XL BGE. It was on sale for $499 at Costco. It came with the rolling cradle with side tables, the deflector plate, double level cooking grate and a cover.
    I have cooked steaks, burgers, ribs, a whole brisket and brick oven pizza on it. It works great. My old Weber performer charcoal grill needed to be replaced and this ceramic cooker was actually about the same price as a new Weber Performer charcoal grill. I thought I would give the ceramic a try- and it is pretty cool.

Costco version x2. Not a better deal out there.

Quote Originally Posted by banded_mallard View Post
    The big green egg warranty and the kamado joe both have lifetime warranty on the ceramics.
    Good to know. I don't think I'm going to get one anytime soon, but I do want to at some point.