Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ceramic Grills

Quote Originally Posted by Quack07 View Post
    Whatever you get, get the XL.

I have the Primo round, same size as BGE large. I love the grill and cook on it 3 or 4 times a week but I wish it had more room.
    This. I have a large egg I might be ready to part with.

Default Ceramic Grills

Have a large? kamodo 2. Works great and as far as I can tell will last forever. I second the previous posts in that I almost wish I had an XL. The foot print seemed huge at the time and price was higher. For smoking the large has seemed fine especially with the rack systems. The racks do not work well for traditional grilling though. Bought mine on a costco deal.

Edit: totally depends on how many ppl you are cooking for but whenever we grill out it seems to end up in a handful of folks and I wish I had more space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Islandguy85; 06-25-2019 at 07:24 PM.

Had a XL BGE for 7-8 years. No complaints. It’s easy to learn and hard to mess a cook up once you get the hang of how to set the dampers. BGE has awesome customer service. Only con is being round and cooking ribs.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

Big green egg has been good. Zero complaints. I got the large and it has been plenty big but as the kids get older and when company comes by to visit, more room would be nice. But it is adequate.

Had mine for 10 years this month. Been too long since I did any slow cooking on it. But it once held a steady 215 degrees for 17 hours with no adjustment.

The original gasket is shot and I need to replace it this weekend. I heard you can use a radiator gasket but that seemed like something I would screw up.

Primo xl kamado joe and egg are all the same cooking quality. I have used each. But I prefer my xl oval primo based on size. Their warrant is solid as well. I had two fire boxes in a timely matter with my first one. Then the lid cracked and I got a brand new grill minus hardware, only had to pay shipping. Just filed a warranty claim for another cracked firebox when I saw this thread. I'll have it within a couple weeks for free. I've had the primo for about 10 years.
    Last edited by Duckkiller; 06-25-2019 at 08:28 PM.
    Go Tigers!!!

Dern. With that much stuff breaking on it they better have a good warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckkiller View Post
    Primo xl kamado joe and egg are all the same cooking quality. I have used each. But I prefer my xl oval primo based on size. Their warrant is solid as well. I had two fire boxes in a timely matter with my first one. Then the lid cracked and I got a brand new grill minus hardware, only had to pay shipping. Just filed a warranty claim for another cracked firebox when I saw this thread. I'll have it within a couple weeks for free. I've had the primo for about 10 years.
    Goodness. Why so many problems? That was gonna be my next option when I go bigger because of the versatility of the oval shape. May have to rethink that.

I was thinking the same thing Quack.

Quote Originally Posted by Quack07 View Post
    Goodness. Why so many problems? That was gonna be my next option when I go bigger because of the versatility of the oval shape. May have to rethink that.
    I’m not really sure why so many problems. Only thing I can think is I cook at high temps fairly often. Like 600 degrees a couple days a week. The firebox being cracked hasn’t affected the way it cooks in the least. This ones been cracked for 6 months and I finally filed the warranty claim last night.
    Go Tigers!!!

If your set on an Egg brand. Give bdunc a ring at ace.
    Go Tigers!!!

I've had a 2pc. firebox for a couple of years now and burned through the fire grate as well. If I wasn't so dam lazy I'd warranty it and get a new grate. Still cookin though.
    Last edited by HARV; 06-26-2019 at 08:17 AM.
    We gave you Corn,you gave us clap,bad trade.

I have the Primo XL and absolutely love it. I chose it due to the oval design and it does make a difference when doing items like ribs. Ceramic cookers cook the same so it's more about preference and design based off what you cook the most. Had mine close to 10yrs and only replaced the gasket once and the firebox once. This stuff is normal with higher heat cooking. When you do get one go with the XL version, you won't regret it. Also, don't let anyone talk you into some type of temp controller. It isn't needed once you learn your cooker.
    Reality is only an illusion
    that occurs due to a lack of alcohol.

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity”. Sigmund Freud

Quote Originally Posted by badfaulkner View Post

......Some of you guys are fastidious and choosy to the point of near faggotry.

Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but I think the BGE XL is now an oval shape and has a lid-assist. I thought they changed it from round at some point in the last 9 years. I could be losing my mind.

Nah I don't think so. Still round on BGE website.

https://biggreenegg.com/product/xlarge-big-green-egg/

Primo responded to me this morning. They’re shipping me a new fire box and grate in the next 10 business days. Cost me $35. The lady that called me said to keep using my old one until there are two cracks. She said one crack is not going to change the way the primo cooks, which I agree with since it’s been cracked for 6 months. Just thought I’d share
    Go Tigers!!!

Primo, use mine 4-5X/wk, nary an issue.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013