Thread: Slide in Camper

Default Slide in Camper

One of my buddies is leaving town in a couple months and we have been talking about heading to edisto for a weekend for a fishing trip but neither one of us wants to pay for somewhere to stay. I had the idea this weekend that a slide in camper would be a great tool for duck & fish weekend trips (a nice insulated place to sleep without sacrificing my trailer hitch). I don't need running water or propane appliances or anything like that (which everything I've seen on craigslist has) so I thought I'd build one that sleeps 3 specifically for my truck. I sketched some stuff up but I was wondering if anyone has built their own before.

What thickness plywood? 2x2s as framing? Waterproofing? I was thinking of wrapping it in fiberglass but I have never done any fiberglass work before so any help with that would be good too. I've also been wondering what kind of system I can use to jack the camper up off the truck to take it off when I'm not using it.

Once I get started Ill probably start a different post showing how its going.

The dashed lines in the floor plan signify some removal panels that I think could be used to create a small table/sitting area to eat/drink beer/play cards whatever.

EDIT: I'm not Martin Harper, just found this grid paper at the office
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by forresj; 06-24-2019 at 09:21 PM.

Good luck. Gonna be HEAVY I would think. What you gonna skin it with.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Not sure I was thinking as thin plywood as I can get by with but I'm not sure how to keep it dry. Maybe some thin aluminum sheeting or light fiberglass. Ive seen a couple things on line where guys have kept their home builds under 500 lbs with stove, fridge, etc so I'm hoping to keep it as light as possible. Im gonna look at my brothers work trailer pretty close next time Im at his house to ty and steal some design from that.

^^^You can't beat that with a stick, you'll end up saving money too.^^^

There ya go.

I might be into that if the dimensions are right thanks We Jeep Inn check your PMs

You want build it for that money.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

We jeep, PM sent
    I am a nobody, that met somebody, that can save anybody.

Save your time and money and split a hotel room.

I split a hotel room 4 ways a couple weekends ago in Georgetown and still spent over $100. Unless something has changed Edisto doesn't have a hotel anyway unless theres something in the resort I don't know about.

Quote Originally Posted by forresj View Post
    I split a hotel room 4 ways a couple weekends ago in Georgetown and still spent over $100. Unless something has changed Edisto doesn't have a hotel anyway unless theres something in the resort I don't know about.
    you better know 13 months in advance that you want to go to Edisto.

And be online at midnight that night ready to reserve campsites.

I wish you people would get out of camping! IT SUX!!!!!!
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

Quote Originally Posted by Jozie & Me View Post
    you better know 13 months in advance that you want to go to Edisto.

And be online at midnight that night ready to reserve campsites.

I wish you people would get out of camping! IT SUX!!!!!!
    Preach!!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Camping is terrible. Freelz.

Shhh. I'm trying to move a camper.