Thread: Do I need to hook up to a deep cycle?

Default Do I need to hook up to a deep cycle?

I just realized I may need to do some re-wiring. I currently have my electric start motor hooked up to a starting battery. Which is in the back of the boat. I am getting a new deep cycle for the trolling motor and wanted to place it under the front deck, but i am worried about my accessories now draining the starting battery.
    The wiring for the accessories are all connected in a weird series and comes out at the back of the boat. So connecting hem to deep cycle would mean I need to pull the wires and re-route them. Not hard, but if it is not a big deal then I can keep all the accessories connected to the starting battery and it would be less trouble.
    My accessories are led light bar, bilge pump, interior led light strip and stereo. The light bar, bilge and interior led strip use little to no power, plus the light bar would be on only when the motor is on anyway. So I would think it would be fine connecting those to the starting battery since the motor will charge as I use it?

My issue is the stereo, if I leave all the accessories alone, the stereo would then also be connected to the starting battery. so if I’m at the beach, I’m not sure long I’ll get on it.. and if I drain the battery.. I ain’t going nowhere! The battery is a BassProXPS 630 starting battery. 550 CCA/90 Min @ 25 Amp. I’m not great at electronics so based on that battery. Would I be fine to use the stereo for an hour at the beach and still have enough juice to start the motor? The speakers are two 6.5” with this amplifier combo https://www.bossaudio.com/product/mc900b/
    Last edited by duckz; 06-24-2019 at 01:42 PM.

You sound like you need to throw in a perko switch.

No, it's not fine to use the stereo for an hour at the beach. Stereos at the beach are annoying to everyone within earshot.

Throw a set of jumper cables in the boat and give it a test. Run the electronics and if it kills the starter battery, just jump it. I doubt it will ever be a problem unless you park for several hours and leave it running. I've only done that once and I was running a bait pump, GPS, depth finder, stereo and VHF for three or four hours. Worst case, you will have to swap batteries around or pull start your engine.

If all your wires are ran to the back of the boat now run duplex wire from the deep cycle up from to a fuse box/bus bar at the back and reconnect them there to avoid re-running them all.

I do think stereos in jonboats are tacky. They're even worse if they're playing ear raping brocountry.

There are a handful of solutions available. The simplest might be a low voltage disconnect between the accessories and starting motor. It'll shut off the additional load including the stereo while the starting battery still have enough charge to start your motor. In a bad pinch, you can always parallel the TM battery for extra starting current.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

K.I.S.S.
    Ive got a 40hp tiller on the back connected to starter battery.
    Trolling motor up front with separate battery.
    Light weight jumper cables in storage locker.
    I've had to jump the boat with the trolling motor battery once in 4 years and I immediately replaced the starter battery.
    Dont over think it.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    No, it's not fine to use the stereo for an hour at the beach. Stereos at the beach are annoying to everyone within earshot.

Throw a set of jumper cables in the boat and give it a test. Run the electronics and if it kills the starter battery, just jump it. I doubt it will ever be a problem unless you park for several hours and leave it running. I've only done that once and I was running a bait pump, GPS, depth finder, stereo and VHF for three or four hours. Worst case, you will have to swap batteries around or pull start your engine.
    HaHaHa.. you did bring up a good point, I forgot I also have a depth finder hooked up to the accessory series. Which I would want to run for a few hours at a time when fishing. So with that being said, it might be better to run the entire accessory panel to the deep cycle. Ill just have to get a group27 or 31 to have enough power for the trolling motor and the depth finder when using both together. Once it dies, fishing is over ! HaHa

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernWake View Post
    If all your wires are ran to the back of the boat now run duplex wire from the deep cycle up from to a fuse box/bus bar at the back and reconnect them there to avoid re-running them all.
    I think that this might be easiest. I could connect the ends of the existing panel and run them up to the deep cycle. But what gauge wire would I want to get ? I have no extra so i'd have to buy some. Is there a minimum to what I should get ?

Quote Originally Posted by scatter shot View Post
    K.I.S.S.
    Ive got a 40hp tiller on the back connected to starter battery.
    Trolling motor up front with separate battery.
    Light weight jumper cables in storage locker.
    I've had to jump the boat with the trolling motor battery once in 4 years and I immediately replaced the starter battery.
    Dont over think it.
    Yea I will get some cables up there, that's a good backup!
    Last edited by duckz; 06-24-2019 at 03:58 PM.

its all about amps. How many amps does your ghetto box draw?

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    its all about amps. How many amps does your ghetto box draw?
    Usually my son likes to listen to "The Ants Go Marching" song, and that has a lot of bass. So id say I am throwing down quit a bit of amps ! HaHa

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    You sound like you need to throw in a perko switch.
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

I run my livewell, running lights, engine, bottom machine, and bilge pump on starting battery all day. Trolling motor is separate. I’ll go hours on the trolling motor without ever turning the engine e back on. Have an extra pull cord just in case. You over think this boat thing way too much and you are scaring me. The most dangerous boater is the the inexperienced boater. Please be safe out there Gilligan
    Last edited by Relentlous; 06-25-2019 at 09:39 AM.
    867-5309

I am just trying to keep conversation in this section alive, plus work gets slow sometimes !
    In all honesty I know I ask a lot, but if I am adding a battery id rather understand all my options so I can wire it up right the first time, know my limits and not have to mess with it again. I asked a lot about the fiberglassing, it was my first time ever trying it so I knew absolutely nothing. But i learned a lot, saved myself hundreds of dollars by doing it myself and I am very confident I did a good job that will hold up.
    Yall have helped me out a lot and I appreciate all the responses. Its all learning and I've learned a lot here.