Thread: Timney Triggers

Default Timney Triggers

Would a Timney trigger in a Model 7 - 7mm-08 really be that much better than a cleaned and adjusted M700 (non-XMark) trigger set for about 3 lbs?

If it was a rifle I shot more than a few times a year I’d probably change to one for sure, but wondering if there’s really that much difference.

What’s the brain trust say?
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Xmarks are junk. Just like new Remingtons. If money's not a problem I'd put a rexcraft in it and be done with it.

Not a lot IF it’s a good factory Remington. I have some 700s that cleaned up and adjusted well some didn’t. I replace the ones that won’t.
    My Model 7 didn’t, so I replaced it. OTM Tactical had some on sale a while back.

Quote Originally Posted by FLS View Post
    Not a lot IF it’s a good factory Remington. I have some 700s that cleaned up and adjusted well some didn’t. I replace the ones that won’t.
    My Model 7 didn’t, so I replaced it. OTM Tactical had some on sale a while back.
    I think this is a good trigger, but I don’t have the breadth of experience you do to evaluate the finer aspects. I guess I’ll go with the Timney and see since I’m sure it wouldn’t be a hard resale if I didn’t note any real difference. Thanks.

SW, you must of overlooked my request for feedback from the SCD ‘brain trust’. Sorry, sonny...
    ~ George Washington

Personally I would go with the Calvin elite over the 510 but that’s just me. There are other options also. Trigger Tech, Rifle Basix, Bix n Andy, and several others.

Calvin elite and be done. Don't look back it is a drop in easy to do trigger swap and a super crisp break. No amount of stoning and adjusting a old 700 trigger can match it. They are built differently.

I'm fairly good at it, but really for the time to do it right it easier to just pay the money and be done!
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot

Quote Originally Posted by b-stick View Post
    Personally I would go with the Calvin elite over the 510 but that’s just me. There are other options also. Trigger Tech, Rifle Basix, Bix n Andy, and several others.
    It’s a #521 and at this point I’ve pretty much committed to the seller. It’s NIB so I figure the risk is minor to get things ready for this season, but I’ll see how it feels and re-evaluate on these other brands.

Great info. Thanks!
    Last edited by WoodieSC; 06-22-2019 at 05:58 PM.
    ~ George Washington

I need a m7 243 in my life
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

I wish Trigger Tech made one for the Model 7.
    I’ve got a Calvin Elite in my match rifle right now
    I had a Rifle Basix and Trigger Tech in it.
    The Trigger Tech was head and shoulders better than the other two, but the tolerances are super tight and when I got below 2 lbs it would drop the sear if I cycled the bolt hard. The engagement is set from the factory and can’t be adjusted. Damn shame cause it’s the best trigger I’ve ever shot by a wide margin. I don’t think I would spend the money on a Calvin again. The increase in price isn’t reflected in its performance IMO.

I have a custom 700 with a Remington trigger that was worked by a smith and I have never felt the need to replace it. It breaks crisp with no creep.
    Crops are harvested, animals are killed.

Quote Originally Posted by MKW View Post
    I have a custom 700 with a Remington trigger that was worked by a smith and I have never felt the need to replace it. It breaks crisp with no creep.
    I almost feel that way with this Remington trigger, although I've done the cleaning and adjusting (never touched the sear). There is virtually no creep, but I had to raise it from about 2 1/2 lbs to 3 1/2 lbs because it fired one time as I pushed the safety off when hunting and it made me cautious. In hindsight, some testing seemed to prove that I had caught the trigger edge on my glove as I pushed the safety off with my trigger finger alongside the trigger guard. Since I stopped wearing a glove on my trigger hand it's never been an issue, but will try this Timney anyway to see if there's really a definable difference.

Correction... While my digital fish scale gives me about a 3-1/2 lb pull reading, the basic Wheeler pull gauge I borrowed tests out at about 5-1/4, which is what it feels like. Ironically, when I use the fish scale to pull on the Wheeler, they both read about the same no matter what poundage I pull it to, which doesn't seem to make much sense.
    Last edited by WoodieSC; 07-10-2019 at 08:07 PM.
    ~ George Washington

I would not hesitate to change out the trigger on any gun but my Model 7 stock trigger is very nice. Come to think of it, my Model 7 maybe my only rifle with a stock trigger. I don't think I could tell the difference on a more expensive one.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    I would not hesitate to change out the trigger on any gun but my Model 7 stock trigger is very nice. Come to think of it, my Model 7 maybe my only rifle with a stock trigger. I don't think I could tell the difference on a more expensive one.
    That’s good to hear. I actually hope I find the same thing.
    ~ George Washington

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

At 3 pounds, I doubt that you will see much difference between a Timney and a well adjusted older M-700 trigger. A crisp trigger is a crisp trigger. Where the better triggers shine is at lower weights where it can be difficult to get light, crisp AND safe in a trigger. 3 pounds is not real light. I prefer mine to break around 28-30oz which can sometimes be a challenge for a stock M-700 trigger, but safety and lack of creep is always more important than light weight. 40oz. and above is usually not difficult for a non X-crap trigger.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

MEh....that is getting awfully bold in terms of "safety" for a old Rem.

I'd go Tim, or Jewel. The after markets fix the safety aspect and allow easy pressure changes.
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot

Oops double tap
    Last edited by CWPINST; 06-28-2019 at 01:54 PM.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

Quote Originally Posted by Silentweapon338 View Post
    MEh....that is getting awfully bold in terms of "safety" for a old Rem.

I'd go Tim, or Jewel. The after markets fix the safety aspect and allow easy pressure changes.
    Yeah only have one that I could get to 28oz without a slam fire risk. The Jewel and Timney can though. 34oz is usually doable but you don’t know until you know. Anything dropped out of a tree with the safety off is a risk ��

Most of my triggers are set between 8-12oz.

That includes hunting rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by CWPINST View Post
    Yeah only have one that I could get to 28oz without a slam fire risk. The Jewel and Timney can though. 34oz is usually doable but you don’t know until you know. Anything dropped out of a tree with the safety off is a risk ��
    I need to get my own trigger pull gauge to do it right.

Thanks for the info on the Timneys.
    ~ George Washington