Thread: What prop size

Default What prop size

115 four stroke Yamaha on an key west 186dc. Currently running a 13” 17p only turning 52-5300 rpms fully loaded about 35-36 mph.

Suggestions?

It might be a 13-1/4” prop vs a 13 as previously mentioned...if that makes a difference

Quote Originally Posted by reeltight View Post
    115 four stroke Yamaha on an key west 186dc. Currently running a 13” 17p only turning 52-5300 rpms fully loaded about 35-36 mph.

Suggestions?
    Look up the max rpm for your year and model motor. If you're changing pitch on a recreational boat, remember that each inch of pitch is worth about 200 rpm. Lowering the pitch will increase rpm and vice versa. For example, going from a 23 pitch to a 21 pitch will increase engine rpm by about 400 revolutions. I am guessing its probably 5600-6000
    I'd borrow a 15 and see if that gets you to about 5800 and if so I'd leave it alone
    Last edited by ecu1984; 06-21-2019 at 07:15 PM.

What do you want to change? More top end speed or more holeshot? Any prop is a compromise between the two. Typically where you gain in one area, you sacrifice in the other.

If the boat rides good then stick with the blade design you already have. Don't count out a 4 blade. They run tend to run with less slip compared to a 3 blade, which means better fuel economy.

Honestly you just need to go see Skip in North Charleston. He'll get ya set up.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

who's this Skip person you speak of?

This

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Thanks. I’ll give him a shout