Thread: Motor flush?

Default Motor flush?

Looking into flushing my outboard with something to dissolve corrosion and build up inside. I always flush my motor with fresh water after being in saltwater but just looking to to a little more in depth maintenance. With all the products I have found just looking for advice on what you all have had success with and what is a gimmick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Lazy is not a virtue of a duck hunter.

I have a big tub I run mine in with some salt away while I clean everything else. It’s much quieter than muffs too.
    I also spray the trailer, rods and boat down with salt way too briefly before I clean it.

Not sure if it matters much.

If it is a Yamaha then it has a garden hose attachment. If so, then CorrosionX is a great internal product. They sell a hose kit for this purpose. Are you doing this because there is a build up or to prevent it? If it is for salt water use Salt Away. MG
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Salt-Away...iABEgIWvPD_BwE
    Last edited by Maggie Glover; 06-21-2019 at 07:42 PM.
    Dum Spiro Spero

Just run it through muffs with freshwater. I have 2 Yamaha’s with the hose attachment one a 2001 one a 2003. Hose attachment gets the power head decent but muffs gets it thurogh. Both have mostly salt use their whole life. Don’t overthink it.

Most important thing is to check anodes and replace

It’s a 2002 Yamaha V4 130. It does have the hose hook up and I do flush with it and ears after every saltwater use. I was looking for insight into the products that are out there to run through the system that dissolve built up corrosion. Appreciate the replies thus far!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Lazy is not a virtue of a duck hunter.

I just recently bought a new (used) motor and had asked two service centers around me the same thing. Maybe there is a product, but both marinas had told me that there is nothing that will ever dissolve or deep clean the old, only a good washing after each use to help prevent.