Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Axis Deer

Default Axis Deer

Sitting in Hawaii now about to head to the beach. Yesterday afternoon I met up with an outfitter and chased some axis deer around. The ranch was loaded. We started hunting around 4:30, took about a mile long walk to a ridge to to get a good vantage point and the wind in our face. We were on an old sugar cane plantation, there was a large swath of trees that bordered a grown up grass flat. After bumping a doe and a few pigs we got settled in. We heard several bucks fighting, and doe started pouring into the open field around 5:30. The bucks hung back in the woods. We saw some smaller bucks on the outskirts. At 6:30ish a non typical buck stepped out at 182 yards. We watched him mount a doe for about 5 minutes while he was partially covered by a tree. They moved a few yards to the left, I put the cross hairs on him, he mounted the doe again, I let him finish, then I squeezed one off. He went about 5 yards and never moved again. It was a cool hunt that was over and done in about 4 hours.

We’ve been here since Friday and leaving Thursday. Will keep doing the beach thing, swim with some turtles, eat good food, and might go fishing. I planned on freelance hunting pigs and feral goat on some public land I explored on Sunday, but American Airlines won’t send my rifle case with my gun, binoculars, gps, and knife. This is the first time I’ve flown with AA in a while. They’ve gone to absolute shit. Original flights cancelled, all of our new flights were delayed for over an hour each, and they lost two of our bags (one being my rifle case I still don’t have). I’ll be sticking with Delta like I usually do from now on. Not looking forward to the return flight as I’m sure it’ll be a cluster.

Hawaii is a cool spot. Beautiful state and good hunting. It’s just a bear to get too. I haven’t taken many other pictures, so I’ll just put this one up. FFFB2ABD-6EAA-42C2-95BD-3F3B0B4E9D4F.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by huntinghagen#12; 06-18-2019 at 12:37 PM.

Badass Jacob! Doesn't surprise me with AA though. they blow
    there is not a thing wrong with 3 woodies a day!!!

That’s pretty cool!
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

That’s awesome!
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    You're also one of select few clemings with sense.

Nice work
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

They moved a few yards to the left, I put the cross hairs on him, he mounted the doe again, I let him finish, then I squeezed one off.
    I'm not sure I would've admitted to that....and its OK you get this excited over bigass spotted fawns having sex...but remember we have kids that read this web site, too.

Anyway, congrats.
    Last edited by 2thDoc; 06-18-2019 at 12:47 PM.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Nice harvest!
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot

Very cool. Congratulations.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

That's a great break from the beach.

Awesome!

Really cool Jacob.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Almost as cool as catching trout out yer front door.
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

Nice Jacob. I feel like I want to eat one now, an axis deer. Maybe wrapped in banana leaves... maybe some pineapples or something, tropically exotic, you know what i mean.
    Last edited by Highstrung; 06-18-2019 at 01:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    Nice Jacob. I feel like I want to eat one now, an axis deer. Maybe wrapped in banana leaves... maybe some pineapples or something, tropically exotic, you know what i mean.
    When you take control of your island, I’ll bring in some axis deer for hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by Simple Man View Post
    Almost as cool as catching trout out yer front door.

Gonna have to figure out what they’re biting when I get back later this week. I gave them too much time to regroup.

Nice!

What island are you on?
    Last edited by Whaler_Dave; 06-18-2019 at 01:52 PM.

Very cool. And good on you for lettin' ol' boy finish his bidness.

Thats awesome! We're leaving Friday for Hawaii. I looked into an axis deer hunt but wasn't able to make the schedule work... Maybe next time.
    It's always High Tide in the High Tide

Nice!
    I flew AA over there a couple years ago. Never again, I was ready to fight someone by time I got there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.