Thread: Axis Deer

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Axis Deer

Sitting in Hawaii now about to head to the beach. Yesterday afternoon I met up with an outfitter and chased some axis deer around. The ranch was loaded. We started hunting around 4:30, took about a mile long walk to a ridge to to get a good vantage point and the wind in our face. We were on an old sugar cane plantation, there was a large swath of trees that bordered a grown up grass flat. After bumping a doe and a few pigs we got settled in. We heard several bucks fighting, and doe started pouring into the open field around 5:30. The bucks hung back in the woods. We saw some smaller bucks on the outskirts. At 6:30ish a non typical buck stepped out at 182 yards. We watched him mount a doe for about 5 minutes while he was partially covered by a tree. They moved a few yards to the left, I put the cross hairs on him, he mounted the doe again, I let him finish, then I squeezed one off. He went about 5 yards and never moved again. It was a cool hunt that was over and done in about 4 hours.

We’ve been here since Friday and leaving Thursday. Will keep doing the beach thing, swim with some turtles, eat good food, and might go fishing. I planned on freelance hunting pigs and feral goat on some public land I explored on Sunday, but American Airlines won’t send my rifle case with my gun, binoculars, gps, and knife. This is the first time I’ve flown with AA in a while. They’ve gone to absolute shit. Original flights cancelled, all of our new flights were delayed for over an hour each, and they lost two of our bags (one being my rifle case I still don’t have). I’ll be sticking with Delta like I usually do from now on. Not looking forward to the return flight as I’m sure it’ll be a cluster.

Hawaii is a cool spot. Beautiful state and good hunting. It’s just a bear to get too. I haven’t taken many other pictures, so I’ll just put this one up. FFFB2ABD-6EAA-42C2-95BD-3F3B0B4E9D4F.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by huntinghagen#12; 06-18-2019 at 12:37 PM.