Thread: Older high tide oxidation

Default Older high tide oxidation

Got an older white high tide (2001) that looks to have pretty bad oxidation, the hull is dull and chalky. Anyone know the best way to remove the oxidation and make it shine again?

Wet sand, compound, polish, then wax. It’s a labor intensive process but not terrible if you break it down into small parts each day over a week or so.

Nah...it's not that bad. Da heck with wet sanding....

3M Marine Restorer & Wax

For best results apply with a buffer but it can be done by hand.

Go buy a cheap buffer don’t do it by hand.658D24E3-C7B6-4D69-B7C4-3B8F43E7EFEA.jpg

A rotary polisher will make quick work of it.

Sand it and paint it with Awlgrip, clear it then wax once every year.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernWake View Post
    Wet sand, compound, polish, then wax. It’s a labor intensive process but not terrible if you break it down into small parts each day over a week or so.
    this, everything else is temporary

What grit sandpaper should I start with?

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    this, everything else is temporary
    That’s temporary too. Gel coat = constant maintenance, Awlgrip with clear coat is as maintenance free as a boat hull gets.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

If your only waxing the gel coat once a year you're not doing it enough or you have a climate controlled building to keep the boat in. Hell I've waxed mine 2 times since February and the sho has been waxed 3 times.

I’ve never waxed my High Tide in the 18 years I’ve owned it. It’s a hunting/fishing boat...Not a Prom date.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Whackumstackum View Post
    If your only waxing the gel coat once a year you're not doing it enough or you have a climate controlled building to keep the boat in. Hell I've waxed mine 2 times since February and the sho has been waxed 3 times.
    Will you wax mine? It hasn’t seen a coat since March of 2018. It’s getting Awlgrip this fall and winter, the hell with waxing a boat, I bought it to enjoy not work my ass off on. Has that distressed Georgetown look or Arrogantly Shabby Pawleys look.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    Will you wax mine? It hasn’t seen a coat since March of 2018. It’s getting Awlgrip this fall and winter, the hell with waxing a boat, I bought it to enjoy not work my ass off on. Has that distressed Georgetown look or Arrogantly Shabby Pawleys look.
    Is that what they call a humble brag? My 28 Southport is not deserving of my time- let my man tend to it, please pass the Grey Poupon. LoL And don't touch the truck, my 2019 diesel Ram is a non- washable. KRT will wash my truck when he changes the oil.

I actually agree with you to a certain point- a boat/truck is a tool, perform maintenance and use the hell out of it.
    I have had the Blackfin 3 years and WTH is wax?

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Habit View Post
    Is that what they call a humble brag? My 28 Southport is not deserving of my time- let my man tend to it, please pass the Grey Poupon. LoL And don't touch the truck, my 2019 diesel Ram is a non- washable. KRT will wash my truck when he changes the oil.

I actually agree with you to a certain point- a boat/truck is a tool, perform maintenance and use the hell out of it.
    I have had the Blackfin 3 years and WTH is wax?
    Nope, it’s a I don’t have time or desire to wet sand, compound, polish and wax and I’m not paying some of the quotes I got on doing it. I’ll sand it and paint it in the fall/winter in the mean time it’ll look like a murder scene and get a wash down after a trip. I did get the truck washed for the second time in two years, $5 car wash cost me $20, may need to go more often.

I just don't let mine get to the point of needing a wet sand, i actually like drinking a few cold cans under the shed in the late afternoon while I shine the boat up, relaxes me. Fish the hell out of it also, but I like it to look good

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    That’s temporary too. Gel coat = constant maintenance, Awlgrip with clear coat is as maintenance free as a boat hull gets.
    Correct but I don't think he was wanting to paint his boat and you are not suppose to wet sand Awlgrip, it is a polyurethane paint.
    My 18ft Jon boat is painted inside and out with Imron. You can hit it with a hammer and not even chip or crack it
    Last edited by ecu1984; 06-17-2019 at 08:33 PM.

Correct but I don't think he was wanting to paint his boat and you are not suppose to wet sand Awlgrip, it is a polyurethane paint.
    My 18ft Jon boat is painted inside and out with Imron. You can hit it with a hammer and not even chip or crack it
    Do you want to bet on that? I swing a hammer like Thor.

Yeah, that’s the whole point in doing the Awlgrip, no more complex gel coat maintenance. Wash and wear, wax occasionally. Gel coat looks great when it’s kept up but once it starts to oxidize, it’s a constant thing.

You paint it yourself or have someone do it? I’m going to do mine in a medium grey I think but the more I read on it’s durability and lack of maintenance, I may go back with navy. It does look good when it’s right.