Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: This will work to help stop bullying

Default This will work to help stop bullying

I've been advocating for year that parents ought to be held accountable for the behavior of their kids. If a parent thought that their kid's actions could get them fined or even land them in jail, they'd pay a lot more attention to Junior's upbringing.

A Wisconsin city is considering putting into place an anti-bullying ordinance that would fine parents if their children bully others.

Wisconsin Rapids’ Legislative Committee voted unanimously to recommend the ordinance to the Common Council. The body will consider it on June 18, the Wisconsin Rapids Tribune reported.

A draft of the ordinance, which prohibits bullying, harassment and retaliation, was proposed by Wisconsin Rapids Public Schools Superintendent, Craig Broeren, after a viral social media incident showing handwritten notes a local middle school girl had received from her peers urging her to kill herself.

The measure would hold parents and guardians responsible for such behavior of children younger than 18 years old.

Penalties for a first fineable offense would be $50, with additional costs bringing the total to $313, City Attorney Susan Schill said. But parents would receive a written warning first.

https://www.foxnews.com/lifestyle/wi...ying-ordinance

I think it's a great idea but the pragmatic side of me thinks that it'll just be one more rule that will be applied through political correctness...
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

I agree that parents should be more responsible for the actions of their kids. But "bullying" and "harassment" can be used to include alot of things.

Geez. Define bullying?

who is going to determine if a child is being bullied or if hes just being a pussy?

Yeah ... I'd be against that. Who determines what is, and isn't, bullying?

So there's no law on the books for bullying but parents can be fined for it?

legislation wont make better parents.

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

best way to stop bullying is for the bullied to punch the bullier in the nose.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

All of the above.

Too subjective and has high potential for abuse. And just because the kid is a turd head doesn't mean the parents are. Kids have free will just like everyone else.

That's some real PC/safe space type stuff there.

You fockers "bully" on here e'ery day!!!

Poor 2th would have us all in jail!!

y'all are mean and abusive

I knew kids growing up who would have started bullying people if they thought it would cost their philandering parents money and would have paid them any attention at all...

I bully my own kids daily.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    All of the above.

Too subjective and has high potential for abuse. And just because the kid is a turd head doesn't mean the parents are. Kids have free will just like everyone else.

That's some real PC/safe space type stuff there.
    I'll concur that "bullying" is too ambiguous but the idea of holding parents accountable for their kids' behavior is plenty legitimate. Kids are absolved from responsibility. So who should assume that responsibility? The school teacher? Society?

If my dog bites somebody, they law is coming after me and rightfully so. If my kid is a turd, who should be tasked with making him stay inside the lines?

No new laws no new taxes no new fees no more govt

I read the other day where a columnista was advocating for a $5000 fine for not wearing a seatbelt while driving. I thought of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    If my dog bites somebody, they law is coming after me and rightfully so. If my kid is a turd, who should be tasked with making him stay inside the lines?
    The two scenarios do not equate.

In the second concerning the child, you task the child by allowing them to feel the consequences of their actions. Otherwise they continue the behavior knowing they will not be held accountable. Extreme ownership should be taught early and often. If the child steals who is responsible? If the child breaks something who is responsible? What about when they're sixteen and kill someone with their car? Parents go to jail or the kid?

In the case down in Beaufort, who goes to jail, the boat driver or the parents?

Quote Originally Posted by jwilliams View Post
    best way to stop bullying is for the bullied to punch the bullier in the nose.
    Here here. Some one give this man a raise.

Even if the bullied doesn't win the fight, it will make the bully think twice about picking on him/her again.
    I take an PLB in the shower with me. Can't ever be too safe.

Whats it like to live w/o the Internet? Not bad, I get photos of your mom thought the mail....

"I'd like to know more about this. Someone give cottontop a bump of coke."
    Sportin' Woodies

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    No new laws no new taxes no new fees no more govt
    What he said