Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: This will work to help stop bullying

Quote Originally Posted by Baggy View Post
    Got a weeks suspension for fighting my 9th grade year. I was not the provocateur. My daddy took the following week off and we went to Low falls, camped and caught April crappies, rockfish, and shellcrackers. Was one of my most memorable times with him. He definitely had my back.
    My Grandfather handled a similar situation the same way except it involved trout fishing for 3 days.

Quote Originally Posted by Baggy View Post
    Got a weeks suspension for fighting my 9th grade year. I was not the provocateur. My daddy took the following week off and we went to Low falls, camped and caught April crappies, rockfish, and shellcrackers. Was one of my most memorable times with him. He definitely had my back.
    Nicely done. My wife understands that I have the same plan and expectation for mine.

I guess I am a horrible father.
    I dont expect my kids to fight the bully.

I expect them to act more appropriately. Many of yall say that involves fighting the mean boy using the mean words. I'm sorry, but that makes yall sound like a bunch of irrational hotheads.

In my short time as a parent, the comments that made me the most proud of my children did not involve academics, sports, looks, etc. The comments that warmed my heart were when a teacher said my boys were mature and polite.

Being a bully and using words is immature and likely points to a deeper issue. I dont expect my children to engage in that silliness at all.

Bully away. I wont fight you. I'll just laugh at you and maybe even pray for you.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

I didn't really follow the means words returned with more means words part of your argument. But maybe I missed that argument. I'm thinking of the more traditional form of bullying between boys. Not the sensitive one that involves everything I don't like.

My kids are being raised with the expectation that they stand up for themselves and those around them. Schools have gone to the policy that both parties in a fight get in equal trouble. The expectation is that if someone hits you, you are to walk away and tell the teacher. These policies have helped to make the bullying epidemic worse.

I won't put up with them starting a fight but if someone brings a fight to then I fully support them if they feel the need to stand up for themself.

Mine aren't as old as yours but somehow I've been able to teach them this and the expectation that they are polite and mature.

Now go ahead and give me your lunch money dork.

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen>
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

https://www.foxnews.com/us/south-car...mentary-school
    Please, just take it to facebook will ya.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Quote Originally Posted by jwilliams View Post
    " frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen>
    Coming to a Spartanburg school district near you...

^not sure I can stomach that article! (Spur hunter's attachment)

I hear ya, UGA...and I cant disagree. BUT, I havent had to have the talk with my kids about what to do in a fight. I just haven't. I cannot fathom one of my boys in that situation and the other one carries himself well and will protect his brother, if necessary.

and to Spur's point, I sure as heck aint fighting the fight FOR them....
    Last edited by 2thDoc; 06-13-2019 at 08:33 AM.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

the premise that government is the solution.....for anything.....smh
    "Check your premise." Dr. Hugh Akston

Quote Originally Posted by Spur hunter View Post
    https://www.foxnews.com/us/south-car...mentary-school
    Please, just take it to facebook will ya.

This is the situation I referenced in my earlier post. My youngest just finished 5th grade there. I also had another finish 2 years ago. I can say without doubt that in the two years since Mrs. Andrews (previous principal) was promoted to Greenville Middle, Greenbrier has gone downhill fast.

As for this mom, she went through channels, all the way up to the district superintendent without results. She even asked for a meeting with the children and parents.

I don’t know her or her kid but the teachers keep us up to date.

I’m glad,we are done there and feel for the teachers and kids that are still there. There are several of both that are leaving.
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

I haven't read all the posts, but my thoughts are......

Whenever were kids we fought the bully. Most of the time we became friends and went on our way. We may have gotten suspended for 3-5 days and that's it. Today's kids can't do that. They get in a fight at school and they get arrested, charged, record, etc. So many kids are scared to take up for themselves and the cycle continues.

Also, it's a lot different than it was 20 years ago. Social media has changed the game. 20 years ago if a bully wanted to embarrass you they slapped you or gave you a wedgy in front of a small group of people at school. Today, within minutes, they can broadcast those kind of things to millions of people.

Quote Originally Posted by Jozie & Me View Post
    This is the situation I referenced in my earlier post. My youngest just finished 5th grade there. I also had another finish 2 years ago. I can say without doubt that in the two years since Mrs. Andrews (previous principal) was promoted to Greenville Middle, Greenbrier has gone downhill fast.

As for this mom, she went through channels, all the way up to the district superintendent without results. She even asked for a meeting with the children and parents.

I don’t know her or her kid but the teachers keep us up to date.

I’m glad,we are done there and feel for the teachers and kids that are still there. There are several of both that are leaving.
    I had seen the headline that a mom was arrested for confronting bullies at her school and made some assumptions.

The fact that the school didn't feel the need to call the police and she was only arrested later on after other parents saw the video on social media helps to highlight the issue. And what the hell is "nonstudent interfering, disrupting, or disturbing schools"?
    Last edited by uga_dawg; 06-13-2019 at 10:39 AM.