Thread: Puppy Training

Default Puppy Training

Need some recommendations for a book or course to follow on basic training for the pup. Black Lab

Thanks!

Richard Wolters series Water Dog, Gun Dog, Family Dog, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Evan graham line is what I would use. It’s called smart works.

I think a good book for anyone to read that is training a puppy is “Don’t Shoot the dog”. It goes through the science of how the training works. That book as a supplement to any of these listed would be great

Duckdog basics by Chris Akin. Video not a book but it’s good and you can watch it being applied
    80-20 Genaration

Quote Originally Posted by Duckman#1 View Post
    Duckdog basics by Chris Akin. Video not a book but it’s good and you can watch it being applied
    Agreed he makes it so easy for someone that's never trained the dog.
    "I'm just a victim of a circumstance"

Quote Originally Posted by mudminnow View Post
    I think a good book for anyone to read that is training a puppy is “Don’t Shoot the dog”. It goes through the science of how the training works. That book as a supplement to any of these listed would be great
    Agreed. Great book.

Tom Quin "Working Retrievers" is about as good as I have found and will take you through far more than most will ever need from puppy to full on championship level.
    Genesis 9;2

Labs do make excellent family pets (and a whole host of other jobs as well) - unfortunately, a lot of people expect them to arrive fully trained and then rehome them when they aren't
    The main thing is to train the dog to be obedient. Come Sit, stay, not run, heel, you know the drill. Until he knows that, don't bother with anything else. Use the same words all the time. Dogs learn "COME" , they do not understand "Get the hell over here" Keep commands simple and consistent. You can find more info by link https://smartpetbox.com/. Anyway, good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Duckman#1 View Post
    Yep

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My wife just spent a small mint on a female springer spaniel, and decided that she doesn't want any part in the training. I have always done the work with our previous labs, and they have been amazing, but I fukkin' hate a spaniel. She leaves tomorrow for a bit to go overseas, so on top of now becoming a single parent, I guess I have to make time and now train this god forsaken animal.

The worst part is, I know the dog and I are going to become best friends, and my wife will hate me for it.

That being said, I'm going with the tried and true Richard Wolters books. Probably just going to read Family Dog and see how it goes.

I would look at Robert Milner's dog training books. I have and used his "Absolutely Positively Gundog Training" book which has tons of good material in there. Look up his bio or google him, impressive to say the least. Another avenue I found really helpful is, Freddy King's website "The Retriever Trainer" or TRT (www.theretrievertrainer.com). I think its $60 bucks a year and has tons and tons of videos for almost any scenario as well as awesome giveaways. Freddy is very eager to help and always responds (phone/chat/email) almost immediately. If I could chose any one thing that helped the most, it would be the TRT website. Check it out, hope it helps and come back and give us some updates!
    "run and gun guide service"

If you have access to a VCR, I have Jackie Mertens "Sound Beginnings" video tape you can borrow. Excellent puppy video. PM me if interested.