Thread: Trolling Motor installation on a Key West 186DC...

Default Trolling Motor installation on a Key West 186DC...

Pretty easy, actually. I did have an existing TM mount but it was the wrong size and in the wrong place. The new quick-release mount wouldn't work as suggested because the "puck" would have been hanging off of the boat so I took reeltight's recommendation to turn the mount around and slide it back by one series of bolt holes. I used only four of the six bolts to attach the TM to the mount because of the slide back. But, the manual recommends using all six bolts but says that four is the recommended minimum.

There was a perfect spot for the compass in front of the starboard console. I mounted the batteries in the port console. I stuck with Walmart's Everstart brand because I've had very good luck with them. I used Group 27 battery trays but got Group 24 batteries because they were only 8 amp-hours less than the Group 27 (101 vs. 109 AH). Luckily the boat was already wired for a TM and had the motor connector included so I didn't have to run any wires.

The old, unusable mount had to be removed and left some staining, marine caulking and holes. The picture attached was before I started cleaning the old mount location so it looks much better that shown but will probably always be visible when the TM isn't mounted.

I'm looking forward to my trolling motor dropping me off at the dock, hanging back 20 or so feet while waiting patiently waiting for me to back the trailer in then returning to the dock to pick me up so I can drive the boat on the trailer with the big motor...I can't wait...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Nuff'n to it. You will enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by reeltight View Post
    Nuff'n to it. You will enjoy.
    I'm not counting it a success until I'm eating fried triggerfish....

Thanks for all the help.

When I mounted one on the KW Bayreef 196 I use to have, I used a quick disconnect mount and an adapter plate. No idea if they still make them.
    Last edited by skrimp; 06-10-2019 at 11:51 PM.
    Molon Labe
    HRCH Coal's Sparkleberry Cache MH

Looks good ! Just finished installing the same motor on my Scout. It’s incredible to fish with, you will love it.
    "To the sensitive gunner nothing can equal a bird and a dog and a gun in trilogy."
    George Bird Evans

It wasn't triggerfish but the trolling motor works as advertised and expected. I will never not have one on my fishing boat again - unless it's a 31' Contender with twin 250's...Attachment 46749
    Attached Images Attached Images

Good stuff.