Thread: What’s in your tackle box for Redfish, Flounder and Trout

Quote Originally Posted by coot nasty View Post
    Yes sir... When we going
    I been waiting on you

Quote Originally Posted by Hogg View Post
    Cut mullet invites bluefish and blue crabs
    I could not agree more.

Live is 100% the way to go.
    shrimp, mudminnows, 3-4" mullet, menhaden. Preferences in that order. Mullet and minnows keep alive very well, shrimp do fairly good, but menhaden are prone to die real easily.
    -under a cork in moving water, free lined with a split shot or two in calm, but always fish one on the bottom!

“Muh butts been wiped.” TheBigGuy
    “Poor kids are just as bright and talented as white kids.” PedoPete, Esq.
    “Let’s go Brandon, I agree!” former Vice President Joe Biden
    “Shower time, Ashley.” NotAndyTaylor

Don’t forget about a quartered blue crab on a Carolina rig. We wore them out last weekend doing this.

Figuring out what to fish with isn't too different than freshwater fishing. Understanding the influence of the tides on fish behavior is as important as what you're trying to feed them, especially spottails.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    Figuring out what to fish with isn't too different than freshwater fishing. Understanding the influence of the tides on fish behavior is as important as what you're trying to feed them, especially spottails.
    To me location and timing is way more important than bait. If you're in the right place you can catch em on just about anything. I've caught numerous spottail and flounder on frozen shrimp.

Protip: shoot for 2 hrs on either side of low tide. Need some moving water

Has anyone told him where to fish down there?
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

I have always preferred live bait. Shrimp, finger mullet, mud minnows. SMALL menhaden are like ice cream to flounder, trout, and reds. The biggest problem with menhaden is keeping them alive without a well aerated live well. Shrimp are dynamite, but attract a lot of attention from undesirable fish as well.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Back from our week at Garden City. Fun to go, but at the end of the week, it’s good to get back home. We caught more fish than we ever have. A big thank you to everyone who took the time to offer up tips and pointers, tackle ideas, etc. An especially big Thank You to scdiver, 3 1/2” Magnum, and ECU1984 for talking with me on the phone, sharing what to look for in spots to try, how to fish them, and ECU1984 for taking a couple hours of his time to school me in knot tying, artificial lures, live baits, what to look for in habitat, etc. I had to work over the weekend, so got to the beach Sunday. Monday we started fishing, but just off the dock. We caught Sea Trout, Black Drum, Redfish and Flounder. I respooled both my bass fishing poles with 20lb braid and Fluorocarbon. Picked up some Spro swivels, along with Z-man trout eye jig heads and some Gulp swimming mullet. Monday afternoon I was fishing that, and caught three Flounder in about 20 minutes. Had the tail bit off several of the mullet. Was the first Flounder I had ever caught on rod and reel. Dad caught his first ever Redfish, with a Carolina Rig and a live mullet. A friend of dad’s was down visiting for the day, and he caught the Black Drum and Trout. Trout was too small, but the Black Drum was legal, and was good eating. Wednesday was more Redfish off the dock. I caught a 24” and a 20”. Dad caught a 26” Redfish. All the Redfish were caught on a Carolina Rig with a cut up mullet I caught in the cast net. He was about an 8” mullet. Also caught a Bluefish on the same setup. The head of the mullet caught two Redfish and the Bluefish. Also took ECU1984’s suggestion and tied on a small treble hook under the popping cork with a 4’ leader and a shrimp. Caught another Flounder with that rig. My 3 year old finally was ok with holding a blue crab or shrimp. Fish, he still wouldn’t touch. Dad and I haven’t really fished much together in many, many years. He’s had some health issues as of late, so it was good to get some extra time with him. Seeing and listening to him reel in his first Redfish and then that 26” one off the dock, was a hoot. If you combined Bill Dance and Jerry Clower to reel in a fish, my dad is what you’d see and hear. Hate I didn’t video him either time. We fished everyday, morning and late afternoon. Never did get the boat in the water. With two three year olds, and two one year olds, and everyone going different directions, just never could get it worked out to get it dumped in. Oh well. We had a great time. Thanks again for all the help.

3012D99A-2708-4113-98D6-2F0B9A3560A2.jpg

567C8D96-B4FC-4A6C-9D9A-E37F089B7154.jpg

230EA010-B691-4866-8DA3-869F89EE4CA6.jpg

99FCD700-4DB0-4B1C-91E4-69572D6D2210.jpg

A9AD4AC2-6C22-4521-9EBB-699E1169FDAD.jpg

826A27C5-703E-4955-B860-2D816486B893.jpg

That’s awesome.

Sweet! That's a pretty good haul, regardless of if you used a boat or not. Nice job

Hell that’s a good run!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Nice

You're a photographer. Good framing and composition.

Great times!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Please support March of Dimes

www.marchforbabies.org/MadelineRai

Looks like a great time. The red in that first pics is beautiful.

Very nice! Get those kids involved.

Is that the "holy shit it's a shark" dock?
    Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post
    Monsters... Be damned if I'd ever be taken alive by the likes of faggot musslims.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I am an equal opportunity hater.

Quote Originally Posted by willk View Post
    Is that the "holy shit it's a shark" dock?
    Pretty sure it was farther down towards Marlin Quay. We stay in the 11th house after S. Dogwood makes hard first turn to the left.