Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What’s in your tackle box for Redfish, Flounder and Trout

Default What’s in your tackle box for Redfish, Flounder and Trout

My family and I have our annual trip to Garden City coming up soon. We rent a house on the marsh, and fish off the dock. I’m taking my boat this year, and hoping to get my dad and 3 year old son out and try some fishing. I’ve caught a couple Redfish off the dock over the years, with blue crabs for bait on a Carolina rig. Never have otherwise caught anything else other than Pinfish. So it’s pretty foreign to me, as far as what size hooks, jigs, artificial lures, live bait, cut bait, weight size, etc. If you’re putting together a tackle box for those three, what is your must haves?

I’ve caught Redfish and Black Drum under bridges in Florida with a buddy of mine, but want to learn more about fishing our coast for the three. Especially with my two boys. Thanks

Gulp shrimp on a jighead

Get a cast net live shrimp are by far the best bait in my experience.

Molting gulp w/ trout eye or get live shrimp under a cork.
    HRCH DOC'S LIL LEGACY MH

Live shrimp under a popping cork is deadly for trout and reds.

For ease of use go with...
    Quarter once jig head of your choice with a paddle tail, can straight crank or bounce on bottom.
    Gulp shrimp under a popping cork
    Or
    Live bait of choice on a Carolina rig under a dock or on a float next to a grass line. 1/0 circle with 20lb leader.

live bait = popping cork with mud minnows(by far the easiest to keep alive as well)

cut bait = quartered blue crabs or cut mullet

artificial = redfish magic(spinnerbait), gulp shrimp(whichever color you want, I like new penny the best) on a jig head. Spend money on the jig heads as well. There are some really cheap ones out there that dont work at all and not sharp. I like owner jig heads the best. you can also use a fluke style artificial on a flutter hook. Go buy some pro cure, I use the menhaden flavor. I've found when they bite they hold on longer to get the hook set. You can also use mirrodines with some pro cure on them. Also I really like the TRD from z man on their small hooks. Those have worked really well on calm days.

Everything above is good advice but to add, I love a Rapala skitterwalk or a spook jr for early mornings and late evening. It's hard to beat a redfish hitting a topwater lure. Gulp shrimp under a popping cork is very effective like said above. Any kind of cut bait under some docks would likely produce. I'm also a fan of throwing paddletails. Zman is my go to, it's nice not having to replace your lure every time a bluefish takes a swing at it.

If he's asking for help online, suggesting artificials isn't going to be the best bet for him this time of year. A cast net and minnow trap will be much more productive. A Carolina rig with 1/2-1 oz of lead with a 2/0 mosquito hook with whatever live of cut bait you can get you hands on will be your best bet. Live bait 2 feet under a popping cork worms well, too. Artificals can be productive, but in the summer, live and cut bait will be the easiest way to find fish (and spots to remember for other times of the year).

popping cork and shrimp/mud minnow
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

Quote Originally Posted by WNM View Post
    If he's asking for help online, suggesting artificials isn't going to be the best bet for him this time of year. A cast net and minnow trap will be much more productive. A Carolina rig with 1/2-1 oz of lead with a 2/0 mosquito hook with whatever live of cut bait you can get you hands on will be your best bet. Live bait 2 feet under a popping cork worms well, too. Artificals can be productive, but in the summer, live and cut bait will be the easiest way to find fish (and spots to remember for other times of the year).
    This is a good point, but it's also not rocket science. If you know how to catch a bass, you can catch a redfish or trout
    Last edited by fowlshot; 06-10-2019 at 10:10 AM.

Live finger mullet and live menhaden are best for quality fish. Live shrimp are for numbers. I rarely catch a good fish on a float. Carolina rig is my go to.
    867-5309

Live or cut bait this time of year.

3 year old=cut bait on the bottom or anything live under a popping cork. If you can get out by yourself that's different.

Assorted trout eye jigs, leader, voodoos and D.O.A skrimps, grubs. If I'm fishing live bait I like finger mullets on a jig head and shrimp under popping corks.
    Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post
    Monsters... Be damned if I'd ever be taken alive by the likes of faggot musslims.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I am an equal opportunity hater.

Finger mullet and Carolina rig

I would say that if I was making a box for those species. I would go with trout eye jigheads, assorted grubs, swivels, 1/2-1 oz egg sinkers, 2-4/0 hooks, popping corks and some leader.

KISS:

1/8, 1/4 oz jigs- lead colored work just fine- there's some with better hooks
    DOA shrimp- white, clear, smoke, red tail
    white, smoke, and chartreuse grubs** Gulp is no better than the others if your bouncing and swimming. If your dead sticking for reds, then use Gulp.
    flounder rigs
    circle hooks
    popping corks
    Last edited by jay12clay; 06-10-2019 at 11:27 AM.

Trout = popping cork and shrimp. Everything else = a spear
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

do trout eat mud minnows?

edited to add: i wouldnt fish with a finger mullet unless I was out of shrimp or mud minnows....
    Last edited by 2thDoc; 06-10-2019 at 12:02 PM.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.