Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Surf rods

Default Surf rods

First time beach trip with the whole family and inlaws coming up and daddy is gonna need some alone time to drink beer and reflect on life. Will my 6500 garcias work? Go buy the cheapy spinning combo thats 9’ long from walmart. Ill have the jon boat for creeks but thought some surf fishing might be fun since ive never done it. Learn me !!!
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

I caught them pretty good on just a 6' jigging rod with a 4000 Battle. The longer rods definitely help you cast further. Cut mullet for red drum, sand fleas for pompano.

Long Rods keep your line out of the breakers too.

6500 is big enough, 10' tsunami airwave rod

I got a surf rod around here if you want to use it, I'll just have to find it if you're heading to Dirty Myrtle vicinity. Bring a spinning reel though. If you need chicken rigs, I can tie some up for you or show you how.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

good deal. Thanks for the info and deff take you up on the lesson Mark. Not really worried about what i catch, it will be cool to show the kids. My oldest thought catching crabs behind channel house was the greatest thing ever. Pull a big fish on the beach and she would lose her mind
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.

I've got my spinning rods I use for catfish that I've used plenty for surf fishing. Your're welcome to borrow a couple if you'd like. Let me know.

I keep a “cheap” 12’ spinning outfit at our IOP house , think I bought it at Wally World for around $100, spooled it with braid and gives me something to do when on the beach .

Works fine for me, catch small stuff for most part. Every now and then hit gold with a pompano

Wonder if these would serve the purpose? One combo has a 10’ heavy rod for $89

https://www.amazon.com/Penn-Pursuit-...a-568769516601

Surf fishing is under rated. I've come to really enjoy it.

You don't need a long rod nor do you need to cast it 75 yards. If you're just looking to piddle and catch whiting, reds, pomps and small sharks, a 7 ft medium rod in a 3-4' sand spike will be just fine. Cast into the breakers and you'll catch fish. Now if you're looking for something bigger; a taller, heavier rod will help you sling to deeper water. My new surf rods are 9' and I think that's plenty in SC. I keep 5000 battle II's on them but these are new setups. Like Luvin said, most of my surf fishing has been done on my catfish setups until recently.

Quote Originally Posted by Phone Man View Post
    Wonder if these would serve the purpose? One combo has a 10’ heavy rod for $89

https://www.amazon.com/Penn-Pursuit-...a-568769516601
    I think you'll hate that 8000 unless you are targeting big sharks in the surf. I'd get this instead...9' with a 6000. Can't go wrong with Shakespeare or battle ii's. But as with anything, there's some really good equipment if you want to spend the money. And there's some really cheap stuff too. It'll all work really. Walk up and down the beach and you see all kinds of stuff.

https://www.amazon.com/Penn-BTLII500...1-1-spons&th=1
    Last edited by reeltight; 06-06-2019 at 09:38 PM.

Yeah im not trying to be serious or catch monster anything. Just something to do. With 2 daughters and wife that loves playing on the beach i gotta find something for me to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Phone Man View Post
    Yeah im not trying to be serious or catch monster anything. Just something to do. With 2 daughters and wife that loves playing on the beach i gotta find something for me to do.
    Your 6500 garcias will be just fine for piddling.

For pompano, a double hook(chicken rig) works well.

For targeting reds with cut mullet, i like a barrel swivel into a 18 in mono section with a sinker slide, another barrel to my mono leader and hook. This helps to keep the rig from tangling with the sinker slide

https://www.tackledirect.com/sea-str...nHrhoCdQ_w_wcB

The most successful surf fisherman I knew told me he catches more fish (especially spottails) close in and shallow than far out. It's funny that bank fishermen cast as far out as they can and boat fishermen cast as close to the bank as they can.

Your good with what you got. Have fun.

yep- 3-4' pvc pipe cut on 45 degree angle, cheap double drop rig with 1/0 light wire circle hooks and shrimp/squid for bait will keep the rod dancing with whiting, reds and small sharks- rod needs to be able to cast a 3-4 oz pyramid sinker

set the drag heavy enough for the fish to hook itself but not so heavy the fish pulls the sand spike over
    Last edited by Bad Habit; 06-07-2019 at 06:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    The most successful surf fisherman I knew told me he catches more fish (especially spottails) close in and shallow than far out. It's funny that bank fishermen cast as far out as they can and boat fishermen cast as close to the bank as they can.
    Most of my surf cast are about 10 yards.

When ordering, add a bottle of the Penn reel spray.

Wash your gear off, spray it, loosen the drag, put it up, and it'll last years...

I still prefer a longer rod and a good, sand driven rod holder with knife holder and mini cutting board. It's nice to keep the line out of the waves.

Also, consider a BRIGHT colored line. It's easier for the tourists to see...

Sent from my S9+ using Tapatalk

I use 7' spinning rods with Penn Spinfisher 4500s, 50LB Powerpro braid tied into a swivel and make my own leaders. Usually a 3 drop leader but might do 2, might do 4. I only use 1/0 circle hooks as well. As far as bait, go to the local fish market and get however much fresh shrimp you need, and once you get home, salt them to make them tougher so they'll stay on the hook. I made my own rod holders out of aluminum tubing and a solid piece of 3/4" rod for the spike. Fish right behind the breakers and have fun. We've caught everything from spots, to citation drums doing it this way.
    Last edited by SCmudder7071; 06-07-2019 at 08:09 AM.

Good point on the small hooks. That’s mainly what use as well. That way you catch them all. Once you move into that 3/0 hook size you’ll miss a lot of the smaller fish.