Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 10,000 mile oil change

Default 10,000 mile oil change

I ended up going with a Toyota last week. The dealer said the regular oil changes in todays Toyotas are every 10,000 miles with synthetic oil. I just don't think I can make myself wait that long. I normally change mine every 5,000. How many miles are y'all putting on them before each oil change?

i had my first oil change on my f250 and have full synthetic.

They told me every 7000

It costs twice as much but get 2.33 times the life.
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

I go by the meter in the dash on My 16 grand Cherokee and it’s around 7500 miles

I go 7500mi, MobilOne full synthetic and a good 10k filter. 04 Tundra, 08 Suburban and a 09 Civic. Never had even a small issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

Quote Originally Posted by thawhacker View Post
    I go by the meter in the dash on My 16 grand Cherokee and it’s around 7500 miles
    my 14 grand cherokee says 10,000 on the meter. i still change mine around 5k. just doesnt seem like a good idea to go 10k miles on the same oil and filter

You can have your used oil tested if you’re concerned about it going to 10k between oil changes. Our work trucks get changed at 8-10k miles. I ask one of the mechanics at the shop what they thought about going that long between oil changes. He told me that they periodically check the used oil and it still passes all the test with better than expected results. Most of these trucks are gas motors that get used and abused and often are hauling something heavy

Quote Originally Posted by FOWL MOUTH View Post
    I ended up going with a Toyota last week. The dealer said the regular oil changes in todays Toyotas are every 10,000 miles with synthetic oil. I just don't think I can make myself wait that long. I normally change mine every 5,000. How many miles are y'all putting on them before each oil change?
    I just bought a new 2019 tundra with 5.7 and book says every 5,000 miles. My toyogaurd (came with the truck) it gives me free oil changes every 5,000 for 45,000 miles.
    Last edited by banded_mallard; 06-06-2019 at 01:28 PM.

I drive a 2015 F-150 Supercrue 2.7L ecoboost. I’m at 80,000 miles and I’ve never changed my oil before 10,000 miles. I’ve went as much as 11,500.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowman View Post
    I drive a 2015 F-150 Supercrue 2.7L ecoboost. I’m at 80,000 miles and I’ve never changed my oil before 10,000 miles. I’ve went as much as 11,500.
    That might be ok with the 2.7l ecoboost but do that with a 3.5l and you would be fucked with carbon build up. Ask me how I know.

Synthetic blend every 5k for my 5.0L F150.

I go with synthetic and just change it out at 6k miles. I was told by the mechanic that I could easily go 10k miles but I would likely have a little burnoff to replace before that.

I have the 3.5 eco boost. I change mine whenever it tells me too. Haven’t had any issues. That being said, I’m also the same guy who has 70,000 miles on my tires and have never rotated them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maintenance guys did an oil analysis and the synthetic held up past 10K. If you feel the need to spend the extra for synthetic every 5K, nock yourself out.

Regular old oil every 5k for me

Quote Originally Posted by b35w View Post
    I have the 3.5 eco boost. I change mine whenever it tells me too. Haven’t had any issues. That being said, I’m also the same guy who has 70,000 miles on my tires and have never rotated them.

I NEVER rotate my tires.

I had dinner with a guy from Goodyear many years ago. He told me that you should never rotate.

His reasoning.

No alignment is set up perfectly. lets say the front right tire has a 1 degree camber to the outside and you drive it 5000 miles. It is going to wear that 1 degree into the tire.

You rotate that tire to the right rear.

The right rear has 2 degree camber to the inside.

What is that tire going to do?

Its going to wear that difference first and then go into its normal wear pattern.

Then you rotate the tires back in 5000 miles and its on the front again.

What does it do?

Wears that 1 degree camber back into the tire while off of the 2 degrees inside.

You do that every 5000 miles and you will wear your tires out in no time.

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

Were you buying goodyear tires at the time?
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    Man is merely a two legged locust, devouring wild lands, developing and prostituting wildlife and fisheries under the guise of "use of the resource" for tremendous profit and moving on. Will it ever end?

Quote Originally Posted by SCswampCAT View Post
    Were you buying goodyear tires at the time?
    no.

We were both calling on Nissan MFG in Canton MS.

We just happened to end up at the same Restaurant Bar.

Yea, I don't buy the no tire rotation theory.
    The right to bear arms is the last form of defense against tyranny.

That's just silly.

One degree of camber is sloppy, not just imperfect. Maybe one tenth, but most edge wear comes from toe or setback issues, not camber. That guy from Goodyear just wants to see more tires sold.

It’s not that I don’t believe in tire rotation I just never stop to do it. Wear on my front tires are noticeably more worn down than the back.