Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 3rd Encounter

Default 3rd Encounter

Didn't go well.

He bit my dog and got away. Then he almost got my dog again. I've been hunting him every chance I get. He was in the exact same spot on this cool morning,.....and it finally cost him.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Catdaddy; 06-06-2019 at 11:19 AM.

Cobra?

How’s the dog?

Good killin.

Good killing.

Good killing!
    Last edited by BugBuster; 06-06-2019 at 12:28 PM.
    "You are Citadel Men, you have no pension for failure, you wear the Ring, you never let a friend down, you will be good fathers, husbands, and leaders in the armed forces and industry, you are strong in heart, body, and mind. You protect such things as Honor and Fidelity. Your virtues matter not only in wealth, but in the richness of family, you are the last of the knights."
    - late President Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by ScLowCountry View Post
    How’s the dog?
    He's fine. He hit him in the foot with only 1 fang. Steriod shots and antibiotics at Vet.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Damn, whenever I encounter them they just coil up and open their mouth to show the white. I've never had one strike, glad your dog's alright and you didn't have to pay for any antivenom
    "some men are mere hunters, others are turkey hunters"-Archibald Rutledge

A good in the field treatment for your dog getting bit is to touch each side of the bite with jumper cables while it's hooked up to a running truck- we have saved a couple of deer dogs like that- a large animal vet told me that 40 years ago- I guess a jump box would do the same thing

That would make a good hat band.

My wife found this online a while back.:

BENADRYL FOR SNAKE BITES

This article was written by a veterinarian of the United Waterfowlers Forum.

"First, let me say that I have been a vet for 23 years in N Florida. We treat probably an average of 15 snake bites a year. That would translate to over 300 snake bite cases I have treated, or been involved in. So my opinions are not based on what happened to one dog, or my neighbor's dog or even the 2 dogs that have been bitten that I personally owned. So not only have I treated a lot, but since I do treat so many, I stay current with current treatment options and what works best (based on data, not stories).

So, here goes with some absolutes about snakes. The things that follow are facts that I have either observed or read or both.

-There is no magic time for how long until treatment. get them there as soon as you safely can. I have saved dogs that were bitten 24 hours prior and had patients die that I saw within 30 minutes. The exception is if there is a bite to the tongue or inside of mouth that may cause breathing issues. I have never seen a bite to the nose cause life threatening breathing issues.

-You do not need to make any effort whatsoever to "get the snake" to take it to the vet. If it is poisonous and causes swelling, we know what to do. The only other poisonous snake in FL is the coral and it does not cause swelling. Unless it is some released species and we will not have antivenin anyway.

-Antivenin (antivenom) is NOT an antidote (meaning it cures). I rarely give it anymore. There are situations where I think it is best to give it, but I have found very little prediction of survival based on antivenin administration. There are some cases that are so bad, you had better use everything you have (bites to the trunk (body) of small dogs or cats).

-Benadryl (Diphenhydramine) is NEVER wrong to give and almost always, if not always, will help the patient. The liquid is nearly as fast as an injection. 1mg per pound of body weight (or Children's Liquid, generic is fine - 1 tsp for every 12.5 pounds of body weight if they are bitten).

-Treatment by a veterinarian will ALWAYS result in less disease for the patient. Absolutely, many patients will survive without veterinary treatment. But snake venom is a huge protein and huge proteins are deposited on the basement membrane of the kidneys when filtered. This leads to immune related injury to the kidneys from snake bites that may not be clinically relevant, but could lead to permanent kidney damage that could affect them later in life. Intravenous fluids reduces this risk as well as keeps the patient well hydrated to get rid of the venom and reduce the toxins built up from necrotic (dead) tissue resulting from snake bites. Simply put, if you want to increase the dogs chances of survival and less long term disease, take them to the vet.

-Moccasins are the least toxic, copperheads next (we have tons of them around here) and rattlesnakes are the worst. Moccasins may have more tissue toxicity-damage local tissue and pain-but they are the least toxic of the snakes. But they can still kill a dog.

A lot of factors play a role in the odds for the dog:

*Location of bite-nose, face, head, legs, trunk of body (best to worst)
    *time of year-fall snakes have been actively feeding and have less stored venom, spring snakes have more likelihood of having stored venom from less recent feeding
    *amount of injection - a miss or an oblique bite that does not get full injection
    *species of snake
    *size of snake (more venom = more serious)
    *prior history of bites improves patients odds (more immune response to the venom)

-anyone, vet or otherwise, can NOT predict which dog will live and which will survive by looking at them, or even by running tests. there are just so many variables. I can often tell someone that the odds are bad or that the odds are good, but sometimes I am wrong. I still get surprised.

IV fluids are the single most important factor that we can control in helping a snake bite victim recover with the minimal amount of disease, with benadryl being second. Some patients are going to die, no matter if they were in a veterinary University Teaching Hospital at the time of the bite and there is NOTHING that could have been done to save them. I have had patients die with 30 minutes of the bite (one was a Jack Russel bit in the side of the chest, the other was an American Bulldog bit between 5-10 times all over the body).

If you ask me, "What can I do to make the odds the best in my dog's favor that it will not die from a snake bite?", I would say:

a) keep benadryl in your dog first aid kit - Children's Liquid, generic is fine. Give them 1 tsp for every 12.5 pounds of body weight if they are bitten.

b get your dog to a vet if they are bitten as soon as reasonably possible - do not be over-dramatic and get in a car accident to get there, but do not stop at the dry cleaners on the way either. Proceed with due haste."

Had one of mine got hit by a rattlesnake 2 years ago on the side of the face and swoll up the size of a cantaloupe. 3600 at the vet. Thank to dog insurance I got 3200 back
    80-20 Genaration

What did they do for $3600? I am asking because my vet said he has seen dogs have allergic reactions to anti-venom. He pretty much said the same thing as the article. More Benadryl wouldn't hurt the dog.

I had one die years ago from a Timberback strike right in his eyeball in eastern NC.
    Worse thing you will ever witness, dog screaming bloody murder and that little guy's face ballooning up.
    Dog started shitting black blood diarrhea all the way to the vet. He was DOA at the vet.
    Very happy your dog is going to make it!

Just about ran this one over earlier. It appeared to be eating well.

Last edited by uga_dawg; 06-06-2019 at 03:58 PM.

A general rule is if they make it to the Vet's parking lot, they will be OK.

Quote Originally Posted by uga_dawg View Post
    Just about ran this one over earlier. It appeared to be eating well.

Should have backed up and got his ass FUK a damn snake.

Glad to hear your dog is ok. I’m also proud of you for being a man and killing him with something primitive. Most of these noodles on here would have had to have a gun

And I hope right before you killed him he tried to be a badass
    Last edited by jevans; 06-06-2019 at 06:58 PM.

Dex.

Keep some on hand!

Miracle worker on snake bites!
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot

Quote Originally Posted by jevans View Post
    Glad to hear your dog is ok. I’m also proud of you for being a man and killing him with something primitive. Most of these noodles on here would have had to have a gun

And I hope right before you killed him he tried to be a badass
    Something special about beating one to death with a stick. Honestly I enjoy beating anything to death but it’s way more fun when you know that what you’re beat in to death can also kill you
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

When I was little, we had a cow get hit by a cotton mouth in the side of the face. Her head swelled up to the side of a 30 gal drum and she laid down. We figured that she would die, but she got up and started drinking and eating, eventually getting back with the rest of the cows. Her head was swollen for 2-3 months. She actually had a calf a few months later that was fine too