Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: Peanut Replant!

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    6,858

    Default Peanut Replant!

    Getting it done

    With 1/2”
    Friday

    1/10”
    Yesterday

    And 3/4”
    Today!!! Stuff is bound to make a come back and or jump.
    I decided to replant a few plots that were lack luster.

    So here we go!!
    E59EDB16-0554-49D7-BCE4-A01B2D108F22.jpg

    F47B8E2D-012A-4271-A370-2F2C19D24A65.jpg
    If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, give it Narcan.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Lexington
    Posts
    9,250

    Default Peanut Replant!

    Can I come hunt?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by b35w; 06-05-2019 at 04:12 PM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    655

    Default

    Where do you buy your peanuts if you don't mind me asking?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Wateree, South Carolina
    Posts
    34,760

    Default

    Go Boy!

  5. #5
    Mergie Master's Avatar
    Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Saluca (not Saluda)
    Posts
    68,874

    Default

    Get'r done!
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

    "I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    34,034

    Default

    how long them boogers take to germinate? do deer hit them right away like a soybean?
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    655

    Default

    The ones I planted came up in about 10 days.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    6,858

    Default

    Um...you can come shoot doe.

    No bucks. We only get 1 buck a piece, and you ain't getting mine!

    You can get the Peanuts from Song Bird over in Darlington.

    But you have to put your order in, in January. They will get you as many bags as you want. They generally do not have any left over. During the drought I could see what was gonna happen with the ones I planted and the soy beans were taking a beating even with us spraying the bathroom smelly stuff.

    Hell, the deer finally manned up and just started eating them, not much, but with no rain the bean couldn't replenish its self. Many went below the little dilop or what ever that 2 leaf stage is called and they are done then!

    So I put out a request through the manager over there to tell all the farmers I would buy a bag, two bags, 5 bags...what ever they had left just get them back to the plant.

    He managed to get me 1 ton of seeds. I'm very thankful to him for that!

    We shallowed up the planters with all the rain in the forecast. So I suspect next week this time we will see some activity.

    Once they find them yes they will hit it. Planting them shallow will have some repercussions, but we upped the volume to make up for that. It is possible we may see some of the originals come back they were planted deep, and peanuts are rather tough.

    A neat trait of peanuts is you can spray paraquat on them at any time if you aren't after the nuts. It will burn the top, but it will bounce right back unlike all the other weeds except one!

    Incidentally does anyone have a solution for nut grass in peanuts?

    Someone mentioned Cadre. I'm not sure yes or no?
    If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, give it Narcan.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Sullivan\'s Island
    Posts
    9,893

    Default

    Cadre didn't do much to the nut grass in my sunflowers.

    Do you turn the peanuts for the deer after the plants die?

    What is that implement on the front of your loader?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    34,034

    Default

    forks?

    nutgrass is a tough one! maybe the drought helped knock it back some?

    its not killable.....IMO
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    655

    Default

    I used a generic brand of slay last year on nut grass. It didnt hurt my soybeans and the label says it's safe for peanuts. I'm going to test a spot soon just to make sure.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    17,169

    Default

    What kind of planter are you using for peanuts?

    Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    6,858

    Default

    The front is a hay squeezer

    Makes moving hay or stacking it nice

    7000 John Deer planters with the “large bean” plates

    They aren’t labeled for peanuts but work really well as long as you don’t go too fast.

    Keep it about 3.5mph

    I don’t think the heat did much but harden the resolve of the nut grass
    If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, give it Narcan.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Manning
    Posts
    1,436

    Default

    If basagran is an option, it will kill nutgrass. The label says it can be used in peanuts but only at certain stages.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    6,858

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    What kind of planter are you using for peanuts?

    Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
    Oh, and we have the hoppers arranged so we can plant and then come back and plant in between the rows. SO you end up with rows about 3-6" apart.

    Remember we aren't planting for nut production we are after bush production!
    If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, give it Narcan.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    In the thick of it.
    Posts
    4,696

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Silentweapon338 View Post
    Um...you can come shoot doe.

    No bucks. We only get 1 buck a piece, and you ain't getting mine!

    You can get the Peanuts from Song Bird over in Darlington.

    But you have to put your order in, in January. They will get you as many bags as you want. They generally do not have any left over. During the drought I could see what was gonna happen with the ones I planted and the soy beans were taking a beating even with us spraying the bathroom smelly stuff.

    Hell, the deer finally manned up and just started eating them, not much, but with no rain the bean couldn't replenish its self. Many went below the little dilop or what ever that 2 leaf stage is called and they are done then!

    So I put out a request through the manager over there to tell all the farmers I would buy a bag, two bags, 5 bags...what ever they had left just get them back to the plant.

    He managed to get me 1 ton of seeds. I'm very thankful to him for that!

    We shallowed up the planters with all the rain in the forecast. So I suspect next week this time we will see some activity.

    Once they find them yes they will hit it. Planting them shallow will have some repercussions, but we upped the volume to make up for that. It is possible we may see some of the originals come back they were planted deep, and peanuts are rather tough.

    A neat trait of peanuts is you can spray paraquat on them at any time if you aren't after the nuts. It will burn the top, but it will bounce right back unlike all the other weeds except one!

    Incidentally does anyone have a solution for nut grass in peanuts?

    Someone mentioned Cadre. I'm not sure yes or no?

    I think you meant Birdsong Peanuts.

    This is interesting. Deer really don't hammer peanuts in our fields. I may have to grab a few and try the out in a food plot. Perennial peanuts are designed with forage in mind. I have had a grower or two try it and what we found was that they couldn't take the frost in SC. They would die out by the 2-3 year. But, planting those varieties many benefit you from a forage production standpoint.

    On the nutgrass, it really depends on if you have yellow or purple. Cadre is about the best thing going for both (or if you can't tell the difference). Yellow can be controlled with Basagran or Pursuit. If purple, go with Pursuit. Basagran and Pursuit can be tank mixed with Gramoxone. Use a good surfactant, as nutgrass has a tough waxy coating. Gramoxone loves crop oil, but a 80/20 will help. Not sure on the other 3 chemicals.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    18,519

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SaltMuck View Post
    I think you meant Birdsong Peanuts.

    This is interesting. Deer really don't hammer peanuts in our fields. I may have to grab a few and try the out in a food plot.
    Bud, you think they would work in the two small plots I have there? If so, I will find some.
    Also, would the "no til drill" thingy work for them?
    You know, I don't know shit about this stuff
    Meet Dick, Dick is a Climp5in fan...…..Don't be a Dick

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Florence, SC
    Posts
    2,019

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Bud, you think they would work in the two small plots I have there? If so, I will find some.
    Also, would the "no til drill" thingy work for them?
    You know, I don't know shit about this stuff
    Doubtful it would work, the small plots, yes, drill, probably not
    Last edited by jevans; 06-06-2019 at 06:41 PM.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Florence, SC
    Posts
    2,019

    Default

    I think the nutgrass is under control for the time being

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    6,858

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SaltMuck View Post
    I think you meant Birdsong Peanuts.

    This is interesting. Deer really don't hammer peanuts in our fields. I may have to grab a few and try the out in a food plot. Perennial peanuts are designed with forage in mind. I have had a grower or two try it and what we found was that they couldn't take the frost in SC. They would die out by the 2-3 year. But, planting those varieties many benefit you from a forage production standpoint.

    On the nutgrass, it really depends on if you have yellow or purple. Cadre is about the best thing going for both (or if you can't tell the difference). Yellow can be controlled with Basagran or Pursuit. If purple, go with Pursuit. Basagran and Pursuit can be tank mixed with Gramoxone. Use a good surfactant, as nutgrass has a tough waxy coating. Gramoxone loves crop oil, but a 80/20 will help. Not sure on the other 3 chemicals.

    You are correct it is Birdsong. Must be dyslexia!

    Thanks for the info. I will have a case (Cadre) on the ready. We have both so I'm not going to go swap chemicals back and forth.

    There is a member on here that has a beautiful stand of perennial peanuts (so I have been told). He is in the lower part of the state. I'm not sure how long they have been planted. I had looked in to them a while back, but the frost thing combined with the cost made me stick with annual. I was quite envious of the plot the way it was described to me!

    ECU1984:
    A SUCKUP nor a regular drill will plant a peanut. I tried. They both cause the nut to break open. If a peanut breaks open it will not germinate.
    If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, give it Narcan.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •