Thread: Peanut Replant!

Default Peanut Replant!

Getting it done

With 1/2”
    Friday

1/10”
    Yesterday

And 3/4”
    Today!!! Stuff is bound to make a come back and or jump.
    I decided to replant a few plots that were lack luster.

So here we go!!
    E59EDB16-0554-49D7-BCE4-A01B2D108F22.jpg

F47B8E2D-012A-4271-A370-2F2C19D24A65.jpg
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot

Default Peanut Replant!

Can I come hunt?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by b35w; 06-05-2019 at 04:12 PM.

Where do you buy your peanuts if you don't mind me asking?

Go Boy!

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Get'r done!
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

how long them boogers take to germinate? do deer hit them right away like a soybean?
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

The ones I planted came up in about 10 days.

Um...you can come shoot doe.

No bucks. We only get 1 buck a piece, and you ain't getting mine!

You can get the Peanuts from Song Bird over in Darlington.

But you have to put your order in, in January. They will get you as many bags as you want. They generally do not have any left over. During the drought I could see what was gonna happen with the ones I planted and the soy beans were taking a beating even with us spraying the bathroom smelly stuff.

Hell, the deer finally manned up and just started eating them, not much, but with no rain the bean couldn't replenish its self. Many went below the little dilop or what ever that 2 leaf stage is called and they are done then!

So I put out a request through the manager over there to tell all the farmers I would buy a bag, two bags, 5 bags...what ever they had left just get them back to the plant.

He managed to get me 1 ton of seeds. I'm very thankful to him for that!

We shallowed up the planters with all the rain in the forecast. So I suspect next week this time we will see some activity.

Once they find them yes they will hit it. Planting them shallow will have some repercussions, but we upped the volume to make up for that. It is possible we may see some of the originals come back they were planted deep, and peanuts are rather tough.

A neat trait of peanuts is you can spray paraquat on them at any time if you aren't after the nuts. It will burn the top, but it will bounce right back unlike all the other weeds except one!

Incidentally does anyone have a solution for nut grass in peanuts?

Someone mentioned Cadre. I'm not sure yes or no?
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

~Scatter Shot

Cadre didn't do much to the nut grass in my sunflowers.

Do you turn the peanuts for the deer after the plants die?

What is that implement on the front of your loader?

forks?

nutgrass is a tough one! maybe the drought helped knock it back some?

its not killable.....IMO
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

I used a generic brand of slay last year on nut grass. It didnt hurt my soybeans and the label says it's safe for peanuts. I'm going to test a spot soon just to make sure.

What kind of planter are you using for peanuts?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

The front is a hay squeezer

Makes moving hay or stacking it nice

7000 John Deer planters with the “large bean” plates

They aren’t labeled for peanuts but work really well as long as you don’t go too fast.

Keep it about 3.5mph

I don’t think the heat did much but harden the resolve of the nut grass
    Yup, he's crazy...

~Scatter Shot

If basagran is an option, it will kill nutgrass. The label says it can be used in peanuts but only at certain stages.

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    What kind of planter are you using for peanuts?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
    Oh, and we have the hoppers arranged so we can plant and then come back and plant in between the rows. SO you end up with rows about 3-6" apart.

Remember we aren't planting for nut production we are after bush production!
    Yup, he's crazy...

~Scatter Shot

Quote Originally Posted by Silentweapon338 View Post
    Um...you can come shoot doe.

No bucks. We only get 1 buck a piece, and you ain't getting mine!

You can get the Peanuts from Song Bird over in Darlington.

But you have to put your order in, in January. They will get you as many bags as you want. They generally do not have any left over. During the drought I could see what was gonna happen with the ones I planted and the soy beans were taking a beating even with us spraying the bathroom smelly stuff.

Hell, the deer finally manned up and just started eating them, not much, but with no rain the bean couldn't replenish its self. Many went below the little dilop or what ever that 2 leaf stage is called and they are done then!

So I put out a request through the manager over there to tell all the farmers I would buy a bag, two bags, 5 bags...what ever they had left just get them back to the plant.

He managed to get me 1 ton of seeds. I'm very thankful to him for that!

We shallowed up the planters with all the rain in the forecast. So I suspect next week this time we will see some activity.

Once they find them yes they will hit it. Planting them shallow will have some repercussions, but we upped the volume to make up for that. It is possible we may see some of the originals come back they were planted deep, and peanuts are rather tough.

A neat trait of peanuts is you can spray paraquat on them at any time if you aren't after the nuts. It will burn the top, but it will bounce right back unlike all the other weeds except one!

Incidentally does anyone have a solution for nut grass in peanuts?

Someone mentioned Cadre. I'm not sure yes or no?

I think you meant Birdsong Peanuts.

This is interesting. Deer really don't hammer peanuts in our fields. I may have to grab a few and try the out in a food plot. Perennial peanuts are designed with forage in mind. I have had a grower or two try it and what we found was that they couldn't take the frost in SC. They would die out by the 2-3 year. But, planting those varieties many benefit you from a forage production standpoint.

On the nutgrass, it really depends on if you have yellow or purple. Cadre is about the best thing going for both (or if you can't tell the difference). Yellow can be controlled with Basagran or Pursuit. If purple, go with Pursuit. Basagran and Pursuit can be tank mixed with Gramoxone. Use a good surfactant, as nutgrass has a tough waxy coating. Gramoxone loves crop oil, but a 80/20 will help. Not sure on the other 3 chemicals.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

Quote Originally Posted by SaltMuck View Post

This is interesting. Deer really don't hammer peanuts in our fields. I may have to grab a few and try the out in a food plot.
    Bud, you think they would work in the two small plots I have there? If so, I will find some.
    Also, would the "no til drill" thingy work for them?
    You know, I don't know shit about this stuff

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Bud, you think they would work in the two small plots I have there? If so, I will find some.
    Also, would the "no til drill" thingy work for them?
    You know, I don't know shit about this stuff
    Doubtful it would work, the small plots, yes, drill, probably not
    Last edited by jevans; 06-06-2019 at 06:41 PM.

I think the nutgrass is under control for the time being

Quote Originally Posted by SaltMuck View Post

This is interesting. Deer really don't hammer peanuts in our fields. I may have to grab a few and try the out in a food plot. Perennial peanuts are designed with forage in mind. I have had a grower or two try it and what we found was that they couldn't take the frost in SC. They would die out by the 2-3 year. But, planting those varieties many benefit you from a forage production standpoint.

On the nutgrass, it really depends on if you have yellow or purple. Cadre is about the best thing going for both (or if you can't tell the difference). Yellow can be controlled with Basagran or Pursuit. If purple, go with Pursuit. Basagran and Pursuit can be tank mixed with Gramoxone. Use a good surfactant, as nutgrass has a tough waxy coating. Gramoxone loves crop oil, but a 80/20 will help. Not sure on the other 3 chemicals.

You are correct it is Birdsong. Must be dyslexia!

Thanks for the info. I will have a case (Cadre) on the ready. We have both so I'm not going to go swap chemicals back and forth.

There is a member on here that has a beautiful stand of perennial peanuts (so I have been told). He is in the lower part of the state. I'm not sure how long they have been planted. I had looked in to them a while back, but the frost thing combined with the cost made me stick with annual. I was quite envious of the plot the way it was described to me!

ECU1984:
    A SUCKUP nor a regular drill will plant a peanut. I tried. They both cause the nut to break open. If a peanut breaks open it will not germinate.
    Yup, he's crazy...

~Scatter Shot