Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Retriever help

My dog wouldn't drop a wounded bird.. he would wrassle him until death.. and that's if I wouldn't one in such a way that he could escape

y'all do realize I have a brain and opposable thumbs? It makes me like the king of the animal world. If, by chance, we dont kill the stupid duck with the lead.......steel pellets, I can actually see the duck alive while my dog is bringing it back. I can then go dispatch that duck as humanely as possible.

reminds me of my old dog biting gene simmons. oh the memories.....
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

it's like we're new at this.. don't call it a comeback, I've been here for years

Having a dog that is so stupid that you have to tell him what to do on a duck hunt is frankly embarrassing. Sit? Stay? Fetch? Back? Bullshit. Might as well have a damn cat...

They are a direct reflection on what kind of person you are, I'm not needy..

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Dick View Post
    You're lucky if it only takes a couple days.....

Some dogs take several weeks. It just depends on the dog and how they take to pressure. BUT, FF is your answer. It's not just deliver to hand, it's an extension of control across the board. If you don't FF you're relying on "if" the dog wants to do it. With FF it's not on their terms, it's on your terms. You don't ask them to do it, you tell them. Plain and simple.
    Daggum skippy ^ but dang a couple of weeks?

I wouldn't be good with that one, suckers ears would look worse than Randy Coutoures.
    Last edited by Strick9; 06-06-2019 at 03:50 PM.
    Genesis 9;2

I took in a 3 year old lab and he has some serious drive. What I did is I made him earn the next retrieve. I would hold it hostage. If he dropped it before coming to heel I'd tell him to "fetch it up". Once he had the bumper in his mouth again, I'd call him to heel. We'd repeat the process until my patience run out and I got so frustrated I just had to walk away for a while, or he finally brought the bumper to heel. He was taught the command "release" by a trainer his previous owner sent him to, and he's slowly remembering that he is to hold on to it until he hears that command. If he brought it to heel and then dropped it then we'd repeat. I tell him fetch it up, then heel, then if he would lower his head to drop it before my hand got there to receive it, I'd "ehhht" at him, or just tell him no, to let him know that's not cool.

When he held on until I reached down and told him "release", I'd pour on the praise, sometimes offer a treat, then get set to throw it again.

He eventually connected the dots and is now doing much better on not dropping it before bringing it back to heel.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by willyworm; 08-08-2019 at 01:00 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft