Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tesla Pickup $49K

Default Tesla Pickup $49K

Elon Musk says Tesla pickup will start at $49,000 and be better than a Ford F-150
    By Gary Gastelu | Fox News

Elon Musk said he’s aiming to build an electric Tesla pickup that’s better than a Ford F-150 at a starting price of $49,000 or less.

A reveal of the new model is expected this year.

The Tesla CEO told the Ride the Lighting podcast that “It just can’t be unaffordable,” but that its styling isn’t for everyone.

“It won’t look like a normal truck. It’s going to look pretty sci-fi,” said Musk, who has also said it’s like something out of the “Blade Runner” films.

So far Tesla has only released a shadowy teaser image of the truck, which Musk confirmed depicts its front end.

Musk told the podcast “the goal is to be a better truck than an F-150, in terms of truck-like functionality, and be a better sports car than a [Porsche] 911.” He has previously said that it would feature all-wheel-drive, a self-leveling suspension, a range of 400 to 500 miles per charge and the ability to tow 300,000 pounds, which is unlikely to be its SAE-approved rating.

The $49,000 figure happens to be right around the current average transaction price for an F-150, which starts under $30,000 but can be optioned up to over $70,000. Ford is working on an all-electric model that could go on sale as soon as 2021, which would likely be the earliest that Tesla could launch its truck.

Ford is also investing $500 million in startup automaker Rivian, who is scheduled to launch its premium electric midsize pickup next year with a 400-mile range at a starting price of $69,000.

Tesla has been struggling to reduce the cost of its entry-level Model 3 sedan, which was briefly available for $35,000 before increasing by $400, while a version with a 310-mile range currently starts at $49,900 before fees.

What is the recharge time for one of these treasonous machines?
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Not sure. I do know that it is measured in hours though...

and the ability to tow 300,000 pounds, which is unlikely to be its SAE-approved rating.

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    .... and the ability to tow 300,000 pounds, which is unlikely to be its SAE-approved rating.
    ????

Pfft, better than a Ford 150, is that how winners want to judge themselves?

I know, right? I was just thinking about the 3 hours to charge the Tesla versus the 3 days the Ford would be sitting in the shop with the cab off being worked on...

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    Pfft, better than a Ford 150, is that how winners want to judge themselves?
    I was thinking the same thing....let's set the bar just a tad bit higher, no???

There's one of those sedans in town already. I parked next to it at the club, I swear I heard it queef.

All that said, I don't really do reading anymore.. but I think I like the Elon guy.

Electric trucks in mud?

I'm not sure about this. I know most folks just use their trucks for getting around town, but this of that actually use trucks for say hauling crap in adverse conditions.

How is the locker system gonna work?

I know ya'll are picking on Fords, but they run circles around Z71'z in mud, along with all the foreign stuff Toyotas and so on (Except older small Toyotas pre tacoma) but those aren't full size trucks.

The F150's have rear lockers that really lock. It will go further than most GMC trucks in 4 wheel. Once you lock it and put it in 4 wheel with the anti slip off the front it really is a 4 wheel along with the rear physically locked. Makes for a truck that will boogie woogie in mud.

I just don't see Tesla getting that part correct. No other factory truck can seem to do it. Then you couple that with needing to refuel in hours. What Red Neck wants to forgo his morning coffee or Mt Dew and cigaret run for charging a truck for a few hours?

And the truck is gonna be ugly too boot??

This is setting up to fail, as is this is a classic case of not knowing your target audience.
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot

Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

So they're bringing the El Camino back?

Quote Originally Posted by uga_dawg View Post
    So they're bringing the El Camino back?
    Or the old cab-over.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

If I can't go 2000 miles without having to stop for more than one hour to charge (which is the longest by 2X I stop to let the dogs out to run around) I am o-u-t. I expect them to get that sorted in the coming years though. The reported ferocity of the drive trains on the Teslas is something I look forward to.

Quote Originally Posted by Silentweapon338 View Post
    Electric trucks in mud?

I'm not sure about this. I know most folks just use their trucks for getting around town, but this of that actually use trucks for say hauling crap in adverse conditions.

I know ya'll are picking on Fords, but they run circles around Z71'z in mud, along with all the foreign stuff Toyotas and so on (Except older small Toyotas pre tacoma) but those aren't full size trucks.

The F150's have rear lockers that really lock. It will go further than most GMC trucks in 4 wheel. Once you lock it and put it in 4 wheel with the anti slip off the front it really is a 4 wheel along with the rear physically locked. Makes for a truck that will boogie woogie in mud.

I just don't see Tesla getting that part correct. No other factory truck can seem to do it. Then you couple that with needing to refuel in hours. What Red Neck wants to forgo his morning coffee or Mt Dew and cigaret run for charging a truck for a few hours?

This is setting up to fail, as is this is a classic case of not knowing your target audience.
    Electric motors with instant power, peak torque on demand and true AWD. Not that I think they’re viable but I bet they could set that Tesla up to yank the axles out from under any make’s LD diesels, much less the F150.

If they were to do that. My guess is they don't do that, or anything even close to it.
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot

Electric motors with instant power, peak torque on demand and true AWD. Not that I think they’re viable but I bet they could set that Tesla up to yank the axles out from under any make’s LD diesels, much less the F150.
    Yep.

musk is a great snake oil salesman.

"funding secured at $420"
    "JUST BECAUSE I AM NOT A GOOD SPELLER DOESN'T MEAN MY JEAN POLL IS GONNA BE BAD."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    There's evidence coming out...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cottontop74 View Post
    I dabble in a lot of things, but don't get too technical with any of them.

Rest assured that dude’s extremely smarter than you are, and has it figured out.

Quote Originally Posted by Silentweapon338 View Post
    Electric trucks in mud?

Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.