Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Implement Suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    same time frame. you have to make it grow, right?
    Its not going to help you much in late season as birds will eat it by then....or wind, etc. you will lose your seed, regardless.

I still think brown top is pretty worthless.
    Browntop can be good even beside sunflowers. They will eat sunflowers heavy for a few weeks and then start eating both.

As 2th said, brown top will probably not make it Dec/Jan.....however you can plant it in late August. I did once with centipede while planting my yard. It made good seed and the doves loved it.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Ideally, burndown, fertilizer, then one of these ripper combos followed by a disc/ roller combo for breaking up cow pastures.

IMG_0655.JPG

IMG_0656.JPG
    Last edited by wskinner; 06-03-2019 at 01:50 PM.

Bownut--I'm not sure what the best "late season dove food" would be. I'd be interested to hear from other people on that....

My opinion is that a good late season field is part luck, part preparation. Its usually hit or miss that time of year. If I had good flowers in september, its possible I still have standing flowers with seeds in December. Same for corn. If the pigs havent found it, I love to chip old corn on fresh dirt late season. Milo certainly holds up well and I had a field full of it last year but very few late season doves. Go figure...

I dont think there is a magic bullet for the third season but plenty of people that have had a good shoot in the past will give the credit to something they believe to be the enticement. Who knows what the actual answer is....
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by wskinner View Post
    Ideally, burndown, then one of these ripper combos followed by a disc/ roller combo for breaking up cow pastures.

IMG_0655.JPG

IMG_0656.JPG
    There is your answer.

You can top sow wheat after Oct 1. Just saying.

he's still gotta make dirt.....

Nuh uh. Let that mess grow up all weedy about head high, mow it two weeks before the season and go shoot birds.

Bottom Plow, then either disc or tiller to bust up and smooth, tiller works best.

Just fyi if you've never used a bottom plow, there is damn sure a technique or your field will be as rough as wiping your butt with a corn cob
    I am a nobody, that met somebody, that can save anybody.

I converted hay fields to dove fields this year- bushhog, roundup, tried a 2 bottom plow and did nothing but spin all 4 tires with the differential lock on (60 hp ) so I disced, and crossed disced and did it again and finally was able to turn it over with the plow. Let it set and then started discing again to smooth it.

As dry as it is I think burn, chisel plow, turn with a bottom plow, then disc until smooth.

If a bottom plow doesn't do it you are shit out of luck until it rains.

Not sure what the thatch is like on top or if your trying to harrow green vegetation but that could be a big part of your problem.
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

go plow that bitch tomorrow with anything you got

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    go plow that bitch tomorrow with anything you got
    I've been thinking the same thing. I might keep making implement threads every couple weeks if it keeps the rain coming!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk