We're trying to covert some old pasture land on a farm to dove fields and deer food plots. Things were going relatively smooth back in April when we actually had rain. We were able to get several acres planted in sunflowers. We did some with disc harrows and some with a tiller. Now that we're trying to get brown top in the ground, we're stalled by how hard the ground is both because of how it's never been worked and because of the lack of rain. We've tried bush hogging and discing with 3 point hitch harrows and it just rolls on top barely cutting. The guy with the tiller we used earlier doesn't want to use it now that the ground is so hard. The land owner just bought a 68 hp tractor and is looking for some implements so we can go ahead and start breaking up the ground in preparation for the fall food plots. He wants to get a two bottom plow but I am not sure that it will do anything in this hard upstate clay. What do y'all recommend? I had originally suggested an 84 inch tiller but now I am thinking a pull-behind set of harrows if we can find some and find a way to have them delivered to the farm and then we're going to need something to do the initial breaking.

Also, we've noticed we've had different results with sunflowers based on how we plowed the ground.* Everywhere that we used harrows the sunflowers came up great. Everywhere that we used the tiller, they are not doing so great. We planted using a grain drill. All of this was done in one giant section of an old pasture, and the soil samples all read the same and we treated it the same as far as fertilizer and lime. Do sunflower seeds not do well in rototilled ground or was it a result of the combination of a seed drill and the rototiller? We'll have a 2 row planter for next year just wondering if we don't need a tiller as much as I originally thought.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk