Thread: Lets build a pulley system for my blind !

Default Lets build a pulley system for my blind !

I want to build a simple pulley system in my garage that will lift my boat blind and keep it elevated during the off season. I have nowhere to store it and don't want it left outside. The blind itself is pretty light, but I cannot figure out the best way to draw this up. I could do two pulleys and have two ropes, a three pulley system, or something else ?
    Has anyone ever done this or have recommendations. My garage is open with the rafters going perpendicular to the direction of the boat. I am uploading a pic next so you can get a better idea. My issue is that all I have is the 2" width of the rafter to attach into.

I tried to draw over the glare of the light.
    CBA77654-4E18-42EC-BA12-8B1FA0B2BA35.jpg

I have used these (or something very similar) for bikes and kayaks in my garage:
    6E9EF214-9CAF-460D-BEEE-B6193F8892C6.jpg

Nice idea! That’s cheap too. but my cross beams don’t run parallel. I saw some reviews that show cutting a 2x4 first and attaching it first.
    I wonder how secure that would be, attaching a 2x4 to two cross beams, then this system? I’d hate to pull on the cord and it all fall down! Ha

Use helium balloons and just float it up.

Will this not interfere with your roll up door??

To hang a deer in my garage, I took a 2x12 and spanned it perpendicular across four rafters and attached with deck screws to each rafter. Eye bolt in the middle.
    Spawned the idea at a different house with a small shed because the rafters were 2x4 and 12ft long. Worked so well I brought it with me when I moved.

No I’ve got more room to the light of the picture, just couldn’t get a wide enough picture. I think I’m going to use the Home Depot contraption and do kinda what you did, just use a 2x4 and span it across a few rafters perpendicular too.
    We’ll see !

Use a rope over the ceiling joist if you don’t want to screw two hooks into it to hold a looped rope to a pulley. Caribener to rope and pulley if you want. Build a rectangular frame you can set the blind on. Or drill a small hook into each corner of the blind. Equal length ropes from each corner to the center and clip into 2nd caribener. Rope through pulley down to top of caribener and tie off other end to a cleat on your wall where you can reach it. Raise to store, tie off. I built a rod rack and suspended it from ceiling of my garage over my boat. I just found ceiling joist through drywall and screwed one of those hooks like you already have into Ceiling joist to hang pulley from. That not work? Or build another hanging platform if you have room like you already have and slide it up on it? Seems simple. Either I or you over thunk it?
    \"We say grace and we say maam, if you ain\'t into that, we don\'t give a damn.\" HW Jr.