Thread: The levee broke

Default The levee broke

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. —
    Relentless flooding in the central U.S. on Friday inundated communities and damaged or spilled over levees on three major rivers in two states, and authorities discovered the body of a drowning victim at a Missouri lake.

The fast-flowing Arkansas River smashed a 40-foot hole in a levee in rural western Arkansas, causing water to spill into a nearby community. In northeast Missouri, a levee was overtopped on the Mississippi River, and another levee was topped on the Missouri River in the central part of the state.

The flooding has been building for days because of heavy rainfall upstream. In Arkansas, officials were warning of more potential problems on an already strained levee system.

“These levees were not built to sustain this high a flow for this long, and we are seeing problems and there more than likely will be more,” said Laurie Driver, spokeswoman for the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Little Rock District.

In eastern Missouri, the state Highway Patrol’s Water Division reported that the body of 57-year-old Lane Panasuk, of Butte, Montana, was recovered Thursday evening from Harry S. Truman Lake in Henry County, but the patrol said it did not know why he was in the water. The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers had warned visitors about high water levels that had closed most of the campgrounds around the lake and a road over its dam.

In Arkansas, the levee breached at Dardanelle, about 60 miles northwest of Little Rock. Yell County officials had anticipated the breach and urged residents in the nearby Holla Bend area to evacuate Thursday.

Play Video
    The Arkansas Department of Emergency Management said crews went door to door to recommend evacuation for about 160 homes.

Yell County Emergency Manager Jeff Gilkey told the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette that rapid currents from the river ripped a 40-foot (12-meter) section from the levee. Aerial video posted by the sheriff’s office Friday showed water pouring through the hole.

“There was nothing we could do to stop it,” Gilkey said.

National Weather Service data showed a dip in the water level at Dardanelle, likely due to the breach. A flash flood warning was issued early Friday for the area, and forecasters said residents should be prepared for rapidly rising water. Local officials said they were uncertain where the water would end up.

“Water is going to do what it wants to do,” Yell County Judge Mark Thone told reporters at a news conference. “We’re just trying to head this off.”

The levee breached because of ongoing flooding along the Arkansas River, which began in Oklahoma. Late Thursday night, President Donald Trump approved the Arkansas request for a disaster declaration in 16 counties affected by the flooding. Gov. Asa Hutchinson said the declaration will help the state minimize the loss, but added that “this is far from over.”

Hutchinson said emergency officials were working on getting ahead of the flooding as it continues southeast, trying to identify and strengthen any other pressure points or weak spots in the levee system.

“Obviously the breach in Dardanelle is a sign that there could be more of these breaches that will happen as pressure continues to mount in the coming days,” Hutchinson said.

Entergy Arkansas said Friday that it does not anticipate any impact to its nuclear plant near the Arkansas River in Russellville.

In Fort Smith, the state’s second-largest city, the river levels held steady at above-record levels Friday. Officials there said they wouldn’t know the extent of the damage until the water receded, which could take days, if not longer.

The National Weather Service in Little Rock originally reported late Friday night that a levee near the capital city had failed, but later provided an update to say that a containment berm at a riverside petroleum facility had instead been breached. The North Little Rock levee is intact and not in danger of failing, according to the National Weather Service. A flash flood warning for Pulaski County was canceled.

Officials in Missouri issued a mandatory evacuation order for some residents of Howard County, where the Missouri River topped a levee. County Emergency Management Co-Director Bill John said the levee near Petersburg was expected to fail soon, KRCG reported. Levees in Lewis County along the Mississippi River in northeast Missouri were overtopped Thursday, flooding several thousand acres of farmland. Lewis County Emergency Director David Keith said no homes or businesses were impacted.

In northeastern Oklahoma, residents forced from their homes by flooding made plans to return as the river recedes. The National Weather Service said Friday the Arkansas River’s level at Tulsa has dropped almost four feet from Wednesday’s crest and will continue to recede through the weekend. Forecasters say river levels were also dropping in Muskogee, Oklahoma, about 45 miles southeast of Tulsa.

Earlier this year, about two dozen levee systems were breached or overtopped during Missouri River flooding that devastated parts of Nebraska, Iowa and Missouri.

___

Guy I hunt with in Reydell, sent me a video yesterday of their camp. 12’ to the bottom of the deck. Water is a few inches below it now. Said river is supposed to crest next Thursday. He figures camp will be a total loss.

Only every 1000 years huh
    When in doubt, shoot him again!

Work like it's all up to me, but pray, like it's all up to him!

It's ridiculous. I'm headed there in a couple days
    Quote Originally Posted by BOG View Post
    Tip:
    Although it is natural for you and seems to be out of your hands, try to suppress your natural inclination towards dumbassedness and do some research of your own.I wish you luck.
    Tekton Game Calls
    http://tektongamecalls.com

Quote Originally Posted by beanhunter View Post
    You need to borrow a pirogue?
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

I'm taking the creekboat and picking up my new rig while out there working. I may have to paddle to the house if it gets any worse. My place is ok as far as water goes. I can probably hear the cache though from the porch

ETA: I need to borrow some bait!!!! Lmao!!
    The kids and I pulled a couple cats this morning. Riley says that's going to be his morning routine once out of school for the summer. We paddled the yaks to the trotlines this morning and he helped do the work. I'll watch him do it in the morning before church and give the last couple lessons and then it's all his!
    Last edited by beanhunter; 06-01-2019 at 07:26 PM.
    Tip:
    Although it is natural for you and seems to be out of your hands, try to suppress your natural inclination towards dumbassedness and do some research of your own.I wish you luck.
    Tekton Game Calls

Quote Originally Posted by beanhunter View Post
    Where's your place?

Right outside little dixie
    Tip:
    Tekton Game Calls

Holler if you want those bunk beds. I’ll be out there Friday - Sunday.

96B0232F-A0E6-472C-9657-483E5A2E54AF.jpg

This is at the damm at Lake Dardnelle is Russellville where I’m working. There is usually a 40 ft drop from bank to water. It unbelievable how much water is coming through here. Took this pic yesterday

not far away from flooding our camp. local buddies went last night and this morning and got what they could out for us. lots of hard work put into the place, hate to see it happen. water goes where it wants to though. seems like out summer work trip will be a salvage/rebuild trip now.

Quote Originally Posted by huntinghagen#12 View Post
    Holler if you want those bunk beds. I’ll be out there Friday - Sunday.
    Yep. I'll shoot you a text when I get out there
    Tip:
    Tekton Game Calls

FD40B282-A950-46E1-9634-D25102C44C5E.jpeg on the main road this morning heading into camp

Is that at D's place?

If anyone needs anything out this way while they are here, let me know and I’ll do my best to help. There is a weak spot near Dumas they are now watching closely. This is going to be a very long week.
    For the ducks

If some of these gulf storm forecasts hold, long week is going to turn into total shite...

Quote Originally Posted by ceddy View Post
    If anyone needs anything out this way while they are here, let me know and I’ll do my best to help. There is a weak spot near Dumas they are now watching closely. This is going to be a very long week.
    Damn, you just got out there didn't you?

Yep, it’s been interesting to say the least with all the water around. I’m safe where I am but there are a lot of people in a tough position less than an hour from us. There are a lot of farms and related businesses holding their breath at the moment. The weather has been very humbling.
    For the ducks

We have been lucky. hate that others are getting the brunt of it.