Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How can mowers be that different ?

Default How can mowers be that different ?

I’ve never bought anything nicer than a $50 mower before, just never needed to mow that much lawn. I finally crapped out my last mower and need something new. I’m still not spending $300 on a push mower, just can’t justify it.. but I have been looking around and it seems most smaller 20”-22” push mowers use a Briggs motor. I get that there are different motors Briggs makes, but after that.. why am I buying one brand over another?!! Don’t need self propelled, I can push it.. so what am I missing here?

I take it you've never used a self-propelled?

Self propelled is like dvr to tv. Or that back up camera on your truck. You don't really need it. But once you have used it, you aren't going back.

As for engines. I would say get a honda or a toro but without self propelled you're probably limited.

After blowing up too many small engines to count I did some research- most small engines have a planned life cycle of 1000 hours, that's 6 months of use with a 40 hour work week. Honda motors designed minimum life cycle is 4000 hours. I switched to all Honda motors on all my small engines and have some that have been on the job for 6 years without failure, just oil changes and spark plugs. Whatever you buy with small engines- buy Honda.

I would spend another $800 on Honda push mower again. The push/self-propelled mower I have ever owned.
    "...But this is football. This ain't tennis..." --CJ Spiller; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxkNT9IxEu8

I bought a craftsman with a briggs engine 10-12 years ago. Its still cutting like a champ and cranks on 2nd pull
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

poor people problems
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Question: Do yall change into skirts before cutting grass with those self-propelled mowers? I could imagine those dresses could be a safety hazard.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Husqvarna push mower with the Honda GCV. 4 years now. 1 pull start, 95 percent of the time.

I got Briggs on the wife's mower, 8 years old and cranks on first pull. I do change oil every year in it. Never had a problem with a Briggs motor if maintained correctly. Most don't.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

You suckers keep taking about "1st pull" all you want. I've got a Honda self-propelled mower with key start. I am the epitome of lazy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DRDUCK View Post
    I got Briggs on the wife's mower, 8 years old and cranks on first pull. I do change oil every year in it. Never had a problem with a Briggs motor if maintained correctly. Most don't.
    I wish my wife cut grass. Totally my fault and poor lack of training
    “The price of freedom is eternal vigilance” - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by wskinner View Post
    Husqvarna push mower with the Honda GCV. 4 years now. 1 pull start, 95 percent of the time.
    Same here pushing 7 years. I will buy a full Honda if the Husqavarna dies.

Almost pulled the trigger on a new one this year at the “truck sale” at the local small engine shop.

What is this push mower you people speak of?

This ^^^^. My yard obsessed neighbor gave me one she had in her basement for free. She has her "main" and happen to have 3 brand new "back ups" just sitting there. Said she didn't think she'd get around to that 3rd back up and knew I would use it.
    I'm going to heaven for the weather and hell for the company.

Be dangerous, unpredictable, and make a whole lot of noise.

Bingo!

Talk about lazy I have no idea what motor is on the mower that cuts my grass. I just know he shows up on Thursday and I get to spend my weekend doing other things that I actually enjoy doing. When we moved to NC I told my wife that having a trout stream so close to the house would be the biggest test our marriage would ever face.

The ones that walk themselves move too slow.

Small yard but I can cut the grass in about 15 min jogging with mine.

this is not mine but i have one, from 1991 and still going strong, yard work, tilling, moving heavy trailers, etc... buy once and take care of them

jd_318_50_inch_1.jpg

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. —George Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.

I prefer a Sinaloan over Briggs or Honda.

I push the levers forward on mine and it moves forward, pull them back and it backs up. It has a Kawasaki in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    Man is merely a two legged locust, devouring wild lands, developing and prostituting wildlife and fisheries under the guise of "use of the resource" for tremendous profit and moving on. Will it ever end?