Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting in shape

Default Getting in shape

Started back at the gym today. Tip the scales at 250 currently, not really shooting for a number but more less want to get my BP down and feel better. Fit into some old clothes.

Chicken, Fish, vegetables, and lots of WATER.

No beer, zesto, liquor drinks, etc.

Haven't worked out since I blew my knee up or got my arm put back together. To say I am sore is an understatement.

Cheers
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Stay after it!

slow and steady wins the race.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Find something you can enjoy and stick with it.

Good job on taking control of things.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Quote Originally Posted by MolliesMaster View Post
    Find something you can enjoy and stick with .
    I think that’s a big part of it, enjoying it.

I had a gym membership for 2yrs and might have went 8 times, working out in the gym was just not enjoyable to me.

I’ve actually thought about leaving a climbing stand in the woods and running back and forth to it a few times and going up and down the tree a few times. That would be a more enjoyable excercise to me than anything in a gym.
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    I think that’s a big part of it, enjoying it.

I had a gym membership for 2yrs and might have went 8 times, working out in the gym was just not enjoyable to me.

I’ve actually thought about leaving a climbing stand in the woods and running back and forth to it a few times and going up and down the tree a few times. That would be a more enjoyable excercise to me than anything in a gym.
    That would be some good trail cam video

I run about 30 minutes a day in the spring and summer to keep in shape for the fall and winter. I usually start the summer somewhere between 195 and 200 and end up around 185. From my experience, exercise is the least efficient way to loose weight. I basically starve myself for 5 months to loose 15 pounds. Exercise, especially in the heat of the day, does kill my appetite, though.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberhead* View Post
    I run about 30 minutes a day in the spring and summer to keep in shape for the fall and winter. I usually start the summer somewhere between 195 and 200 and end up around 185. From my experience, exercise is the least efficient way to loose weight. I basically starve myself for 5 months to loose 15 pounds. Exercise, especially in the heat of the day, does kill my appetite, though.
    You’re absolutely right. For me the eating right part is way more efficient. The exercise is supplementary to a well balanced diet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Who says it's supposed to be enjoyable? Eating all the foods and relaxing is enjoyable.

Getting fit and staying fit is work. Hard and constant work. If you're having fun you aren't working hard enough.

Working out and having dietary discipline sucks but it's better than taking a fist full of pills, diabetes, arthritis and heart disease.

I've been lifting weights since I was in high school. It was a commitment I made to myself. I can't say I enjoy it the same way I enjoy shooting clays. It's more of a sense of accomplishment and investing in my health.

At 51 I don't take any medication. I do maintain a pretty healthy diet. It's just part of my lifestyle.

I've tried other types of exercise but I still go back to weightlifting.

The main thing is be consistent with your exercise. It's not a sprint, it's a lifestyle. You can always find reasons to skip a workout if you are looking for one. Be relentless in with your workouts. Don't let anyone stand in your way.

working out has little to do with weight loss.

fun is relative.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    working out has little to do with weight loss.

fun is relative.
    True and truerer.

Momma always said, pretty is painful.

The main thing is be consistent with your exercise. It's not a sprint, it's a lifestyle. You can always find reasons to skip a workout if you are looking for one. Be relentless in with your workouts. Don't let anyone stand in your way.[/QUOTE. ] Yep. I'm 59 and have stayed in shape for most of my adult life. I watch the people around me about my age and I can see their lifestyles catching up with them.
    Last edited by flockbuster; 05-30-2019 at 08:55 AM.
    "My resume is the trail of destruction behind me. " Bucky Katt

Listen to these fellas. Keep after it!

I swear some of these yahoos will take any little comment and find a way to negate it.

If you don't like lifting weights but would rather play pick up games of basketball, play pick up games of basketball. Get active, stay active, find enjoyment in being active.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Quote Originally Posted by MolliesMaster View Post
    I swear some of these yahoos will take any little comment and find a way to negate it.

If you don't like lifting weights but would rather play pick up games of basketball, play pick up games of basketball. Get active, stay active, find enjoyment in being active.
    why you say that? seems like a positive, uplifting thread. why the debbie-downer face?

I will say, if you got bad or weak knees. A solid substitute for running or jogging is walking on an incline on the treadmill.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckyTownsend View Post
    I will say, if you got bad or weak knees. A solid substitute for running or jogging is walking on an incline on the treadmill.
    Elliptical or join your mom or grandma for water aerobics.

Play tennis. Works for us. 3-5 days a week we work out, play doubles and just hit it for about an hour. You will be amazed if you stay with it
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"