Thread: Antlerless deer quota program

Default Antlerless deer quota program

I am considering entering my property in the ADQP. I can find the buck/acre that they will allow for my zone but how do I find what they think the reasonable number for yearly harvest of does/acre should be? I know how many we typically take off the property but it clearly hasn't been enough based on crop damage. There is a lot of surrounding property that doesn't get hunted so that skews the expected number of deer eating on my property. I understand they may come survey the land and try to determine the carrying capacity, crop damage, etc. but the application asks for the number of tags I want. I'd prefer to err on the high end and have tags left over than run out of tags. What is a reasonable, high doe/acre number for Dorchester County?

Four of us lease over a 1000 acres in Orangeburg and we get 60 doe tags. Better to have to many than not enough.

My old club gets 75/year for 3000 acres and have been told they could have 100- they definitely need to shoot 100 does/year off that place- every camera on every corn pile would have 10+ deer on it every night. That comes out to 1 doe tag every 30 acres. No ag on that club- 80% pines, rest cutdowns and swamp.

how many acres? and people?

How about that? I just got it planted and it's already producing buddies.

Thanks for the replies. Somewhere between 17 and 40 acres per doe. That gets me in the ballpark. I think we could kill the high end of that and still have plenty of does. I just need to shoot enough so that the farmer that leases some of the row crop fields doesn't get discouraged and quit me.

I'll be very interested in what the biologist says, assuming they actually send one out to assess the property.

I love shooting slickheads. They are mighty tasty
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Are place is mostly farm land and we can’t kill enough of them. I try to shoot every doe tag I have. The more you shoot the more they come out. Dog driving needs to make a come back on orangeburg county.

Quote Originally Posted by mudnut1970 View Post
    Are place is mostly farm land and we can’t kill enough of them. I try to shoot every doe tag I have. The more you shoot the more they come out. Dog driving needs to make a come back on orangeburg county.
    Have remote control dogs will travel

I got buckshot and my gun is named Black Death- ready to go

All based off of density and how many your seeing on that property. We use to kill 100-120 does a year off 6000 acres. Once the buck to doe ratio gets close to what you want then back off of the. We now kill about 60-70 does to maintain. No DNR biologists is going to be able to look at your property and give you a good assessment. Start keep a log book of what you see this season.
    80-20 Genaration

Quote Originally Posted by Duckman#1 View Post
    All based off of density and how many your seeing on that property. We use to kill 100-120 does a year off 6000 acres. Once the buck to doe ratio gets close to what you want then back off of the. We now kill about 60-70 does to maintain. No DNR biologists is going to be able to look at your property and give you a good assessment. Start keep a log book of what you see this season.
    This

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk