Thread: Iowa Outfitter Recommendations. URGENT!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Iowa Outfitter Recommendations. URGENT!

Kansas just fell through. Didn't get drawn and there will be no over the counter tags available later this year. Apparently its the first time in 10 years this has happened and only second time in last 30 years.Must have been too many hunting shows filmed in Kansas last year!

Pretty solid back up plan if I can find a trusted outfitter not booked in Iowa. I have 5 PP burning a hole in my pocket.

Please share outfitter recommendations, favorite zones, and past experiences for Iowa Rut Bowhunting.

I have 3 days to apply for tag and make a decision.

Appreciate the help fellas!

Ready go!!!

Apply and go public if you can't find one.
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

Took me 4 years to get drawn for a bow tag in Iowa. Do you have any preference points? If not, Iowa may be out for you also.

Quote Originally Posted by Thornton View Post
    Took me 4 years to get drawn for a bow tag in Iowa. Do you have any preference points? If not, Iowa may be out for you also.
    I think "I have 5 PP burning a hole in my pocket" addresses your concern, but maybe PP stands for "pocket pussies" or something else.
    Carolina Counsel

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina Counsel View Post
    I think "I have 5 PP burning a hole in my pocket" addresses your concern, but maybe PP stands for "pocket pussies" or something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina Counsel View Post
    I laughed hard.

Well in that case, call Jeremy at 641-203-0002, they typically book up a couple of years in advance, but worth a call. Good outfit, work hard and have a good amount of land to hunt. They will give you lodging and dinner that will barely keep you alive, but overall I would go back. I think their outfit is luck of the draw or something like that.

Dude, get your tag, pull a boat and hunt as much as you want on public and kill a giant
    I am a nobody, that met somebody, that can save anybody.

Trump economy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But if you are dead set on an Iowa lease, and have the funds....I know a guy

Thanks for the quick responses fellas. Should have known I needed to be more specific with the PP. Can’t leave anything to the imagination with this crowd. I wish I had the time for the public land strategy. That’s my style , but it’s just not in the cards this year. I have a new born and a hell of a 4th quarter work schedule coming up. So as much as I hate to give in, I’m going to have to open the check book up for some local knowledge and access. Praying for good weather and cooperative deer for one of the first two weeks of November.

Quack, I will entertain the lease if it’s THAT good. There will be a group of 4 us to ease the pain on the cost and would love to have the freedom to pick our days.

Thornton, pm me more details on Jeremy if you don’t mind.

Keep it coming!
    Last edited by Skyguy988; 05-29-2019 at 07:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyguy988 View Post
    Thanks for the quick responses fellas. Should have known I needed to be more specific with the PP. Can’t leave anything to the imagination with this crowd. I wish I had the time for the public land strategy. That’s my style , but it’s just not in the cards this year. I have a new born and a hell of a 4th quarter work schedule coming up. So as much as I hate to give in, I’m going to have to open the check book up for some local knowledge and access. Praying for good weather and cooperative deer for one of the first two weeks of November.
    Quack, I will entertain the lease if it’s THAT good. There will be a group of 4 us to ease the pain on the cost and would love to have the freedom to pick our days.

Thornton, pm me more details on Jeremy if you don’t mind.

Keep it coming!

Ah, I missed the part about the group. The guy I was thinking was needing a member in his club.

Let me make a couple calls and see what I can do. Are you interested in a particular zone?

I think I will be booking with Border Bucks next year if we draw with 3pp.

I talked with some guys years back that hunted his Missouri property that had good things to say. He doesn’t get a lot of Iowa hunters as lots of his business is repeat and they hunt over the counter missouri each year. He has about 5k acres in Iowa and 20k in Missouri.

Quack, tell me more. It’s a group now, but you never know until the money is paid. All the research I have done suggests zones 4 and 5, but it doesn’t matter to me.

Flop, so you haven’t hunted with them personally?

Quote Originally Posted by Skyguy988 View Post
    Quack, tell me more. It’s a group now, but you never know until the money is paid. All the research I have done suggests zones 4 and 5, but it doesn’t matter to me.

Flop, so you haven’t hunted with them personally?
    I have not

Bump for the morning readers.

Better get it sorted out by midnight CST. I’m trying decide to buy a point or apply. Im sitting on 3.
    Hate to pay a lease and not hunt, but if I draw in CO and WY my time to hunt IA will be limited. I would prefer to be there at least a week in Nov.

Never been but I was just told about an hour ago by a lady I work with, whose Mom (her dad just passed) lives on 2000 acres in Iowa (outside Iowa City) that I could deer hunt it.
    She said they have corn as far as you can see
    So, I cant just walk in the local Walmart out there and buy a "non-resident deer license and have at it"?

Nope, and you missed buying a preference point for the upcoming season.
    You’re 3-4years out if you want to bowhunt (rut) and 2 years out if you want to hunt shotgun or late muzzle loader.
    You can buy a holiday deer license (doe) if any are available and party hunt with a resident. They have to be present and tag your buck if you can find a willing party with a buck tag they willing to sacrifice.

Quote Originally Posted by FLS View Post
    Nope, and you missed buying a preference point for the upcoming season.
    You’re 3-4years out if you want to bowhunt (rut) and 2 years out if you want to hunt shotgun or late muzzle loader.
    You can buy a holiday deer license (doe) if any are available and party hunt with a resident. They have to be present and tag your buck if you can find a willing party with a buck tag they willing to sacrifice.
    Good info and thanks